Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling all Mossberg 835 shooters/owners!

Started by old3toe, February 13, 2021, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Quote from: YukonC on February 14, 2021, 10:50:01 AM
Not to be a bummer but I put down my 835 after dozens of failed to fire at the range for zero checkup. Replaced it with a BPS. The 835 is only 3 years old and not even 50 shots through. Can't trust it snd now it's in the safe for good unless someone I know ends up wanting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to remove the bolt, clean firing pin and spring. Probably packed full of grease.
Did you ever call or email Mossberg? They will get you right.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Tom007 on February 27, 2021, 06:59:14 PM
Did anyone ever see or own the 835 Tactical Turkey. It's a tricked out 835 with a Magpol type stock, 20 inch barrel, shell holders on the stock, fiber optic sights, and drilled and tapped receiver. It comes with a custom long range turkey choke. Looks like an interesting gun?

Yes Academy Sports in Gulfport and D'Iberville have them every year Dec, Jan and Feb before Turkey season here in MS. Good luck.

Dieselfitter

I've been shooting one since the 90's.   This past year I found a new new 835 Turkey/Deer combo gun.  I specifically wanted this package because it comes with the adjustable comb on the stock.   Now when I mount the red dot on the receiver my cheek weld will be perfect.   Worked like a charm.

Tally Turkey

A bunch of great info on here. Anyone have a good recoil pad recommendation? The 3.5"s I shoot out of my 835 kicks like a mule.

trkehunr93

I put a limbsaver slip on pad on mine along with a beartooth comb raising kit, the recoil was one thing but the cheek slap was another.  Felt like I was punched in the face, hurt for a couple of weeks.  I put in just enough of the padding to make it bearable shooting 3.5 inch shells, I now shoot 3" fed tss and they have alot of recoil too.   

bbcoach

Quote from: Dieselfitter on May 15, 2021, 10:30:20 AM
I've been shooting one since the 90's.   This past year I found a new new 835 Turkey/Deer combo gun.  I specifically wanted this package because it comes with the adjustable comb on the stock.   Now when I mount the red dot on the receiver my cheek weld will be perfect.   Worked like a charm.
With a Red dot, the only time you need to have a good cheek weld is when you are sighting it in.  Once you have it initially sighted in, you can roll the gun in any direction in your shoulder or lift your head off the stock and the pattern will be where the dot is.  I have rolled my 835 almost 90 degrees in my shoulder to get around trees and the pattern goes exactly where the dot is when I pulled the trigger.

bbcoach

Quote from: Tally Turkey on May 16, 2021, 08:51:08 PM
A bunch of great info on here. Anyone have a good recoil pad recommendation? The 3.5"s I shoot out of my 835 kicks like a mule.
I only shoot 3 1/2's in my 835 and I added a Limbsaver to mine.  I also added the Beartooth Comb Raising sleeve and padding to mine as well to take away any cheek slap.  And the last thing I did was add about 4 ounces of lead shot to the rear of the stock.  This accomplished 2 things, it moved the balance of the gun aft and helped lessen the recoil by adding a little weight.  I took the butt plate off, got a piece of styrofoam and cut it to fit the inside of the stock, put about 4 ounces of lead shot in a sock, put duct tape around the sock and fit it in the end closest to my shoulder, before adding the Limbsaver.  I don't even notice the recoil.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Tally Turkey on May 16, 2021, 08:51:08 PM

Limbsaver slip on. My 870 Super Mag made me see stars the first time I shot it and that was with 3" Hevi-13. I like myself too much to abuse my body shooting 3.5s and besides, there`s not a turkey walking the planet that a 3"shell won`t take down. Also, my understanding is that many chokes pattern better with 3" vs. 3.5".

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: paboxcall on February 14, 2021, 11:35:49 AM
The 835 is a tank based on my single experience with one.

Never owned one of these 835s, but I found one during spring season few years back laying in the wet, tall grass at a trail head in the middle of a huge tract of public ground. Pretty obvious someone leaned it against their vehicle, packed their stuff and pulled away leaving the 835 behind. I actually drove over it with front driver's side wheel pulling into that spot, a full sized pick up, and missed it when I stepped out of my truck in the dark. Could tell it had been lying there a good two weeks.

It was the old style camo, early model. Been carried a lot from the wear marks. Started to rust on the action from the rain, and the factory xtra full choke tube was seized up. Took it back to camp, disassembled it, got it cleaned up, penetrating oil in the threads and got the choke tube out and cleaned. Thing was in fine working condition after a bit of needed attention.

Left notes saying I found a gun, but caller had to describe it. Posted those notes in the area's general stores. No one ever called for the 835, but I did get a couple calls from guys who had lost guns in the woods, just not that particular one I found.  :z-dizzy:

I dropped it off as 'lost/found' with the local state police barracks. Called the trooper who took the information 6 months later, and learned someone had claimed the 835.

Right On! ;)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RED NECK

I really like this gun,I just bought a ssx .670 for it. I put a set of williams fiber optics on it,dialed it in and then put a bushnell reflex on it and sighted it in.I would really like to get this gun dipped in Greenleaf finish,the finish wears real quick and bad with bug juice,I never had that issue on any other gun.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........