OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Calling all Mossberg 835 shooters/owners!

Started by old3toe, February 13, 2021, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: RiverBuck on February 27, 2021, 07:04:35 PM
Those are $529 at Academy.. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-835-ulti-mag-tactical-turkey-shotgun
I don't own one but bet it's a hammer.

Thanks for the info. I might look into one, they look unreal.....be safe, thanks.....
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

Quote from: Tom007 on February 27, 2021, 06:59:14 PM
Did anyone ever see or own the 835 Tactical Turkey. It's a tricked out 835 with a Magpol type stock, 20 inch barrel, shell holders on the stock, fiber optic sights, and drilled and tapped receiver. It comes with a custom long range turkey choke. Looks like an interesting gun?
I've been trying to buy that gun up here for 3 years,I had one in my hands in 2018 and set it down at a gun show,brand new in the box,went for lunch to "think' about it and It was gone after my bacon cheeseburger,I regret that. I can't find one anywhere and have given up.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

bbcoach

I'm an 835 guy.  I was introduced to turkey hunting about 15 years ago. Killed my very first bird with a Remmy 1100 with 2 3/4 1 1/2 oz lead number 5's that I had handloaded for ducks.  HOOKED!  Started my search for a dedicated turkey killing machine.  Got an 835 with a 24 inch barrel in my hands and the rest is history.  My 835 had a POA/POI issue so I chose a Bushnell Red dot to remedy that.  Added a .670 Pure Gold choke and 3 1/2 inch Hevi 7's (when Hevi 7's were the RAGE 10-12 years ago) in the pipe at the recommendation of several guys on this site and I've never looked any further.  GREAT GUN IMO.  If I do my job, the 835 does hers!     

Tom007

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 27, 2021, 07:50:12 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 27, 2021, 06:59:14 PM
Did anyone ever see or own the 835 Tactical Turkey. It's a tricked out 835 with a Magpol type stock, 20 inch barrel, shell holders on the stock, fiber optic sights, and drilled and tapped receiver. It comes with a custom long range turkey choke. Looks like an interesting gun?
I've been trying to buy that gun up here for 3 years,I had one in my hands in 2018 and set it down at a gun show,brand new in the box,went for lunch to "think' about it and It was gone after my bacon cheeseburger,I regret that. I can't find one anywhere and have given up.

Wow, do they still make it do you know?
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

If It is on their website, I believe it is still being built. The distributors only bring in so many guns, from each company, and make/model seems to be geared more towards waterfowl or bland firearms than turkey guns. Our shops then put in orders for what guns etc. It really is slim pickings for some models and that seems to be one of them, at least in this area, and I can't locate it online. Most shops don't cater to the hardcore turkey hunter and never bring them in,they just don't. It can be frustrating at times when I want a gun.

It is hard to find a solid place to give my business as I have found that most shops do not really care,they try and sell you what they have,not what you want.I just buy from where I can get what I want now,I have no emotional attachment to any shop,just myself. Some are just useless and should close.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Tom007

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 27, 2021, 09:35:58 PM
If It is on their website, I believe it is still being built. The distributors only bring in so many guns, from each company, and make/model seems to be geared more towards waterfowl or bland firearms than turkey guns. Our shops then put in orders for what guns etc. It really is slim pickings for some models and that seems to be one of them, at least in this area, and I can't locate it online. Most shops don't cater to the hardcore turkey hunter and never bring them in,they just don't. It can be frustrating at times when I want a gun.

It is hard to find a solid place to give my business as I have found that most shops do not really care,they try and sell you what they have,not what you want.I just buy from where I can get what I want now,I have no emotional attachment to any shop,just myself. Some are just useless and should close.

Thanks for the info. The ironic thing is that I saw it yesterday used at a gun show. They wanted 695 for it. Did not know anything about it, so I didn't grab it. Academy sports sells them for around 550. So 695 used was a bit high. I am going to check with our local shops, one is listed as a distributor. Will let you know if I find anything....be safe...
"Solo hunter"

old3toe

Cowboy if I remember correctly most long beard loads usually impact differently than most standard loads in a lot of guns. I had some long beards that the poi was walking all over the pattern board that's why I don't shoot them anymore. Are you shooting bead, rifle sights, or red dot?
   Tom007 I'm not sure if they're still making that model or not but you might keep an eye out on used gun racks and especially pawn shops. With the economy like it is and the amount of people out of work due to the virus a lot of guns are being pawned, sold, or traded. Good luck on your search.

Cowboy

Quote from: old3toe on February 28, 2021, 03:02:40 AM
Cowboy if I remember correctly most long beard loads usually impact differently than most standard loads in a lot of guns. I had some long beards that the poi was walking all over the pattern board that's why I don't shoot them anymore. Are you shooting bead, rifle sights, or red dot?
   Tom007 I'm not sure if they're still making that model or not but you might keep an eye out on used gun racks and especially pawn shops. With the economy like it is and the amount of people out of work due to the virus a lot of guns are being pawned, sold, or traded. Good luck on your search.
Old3toe, Shooting just double bead on both. My brother recommended adding on a red dot to move my pattern. I thought maybe it was the shells. Never shot 3.5 inch til today.

bbcoach

Quote from: Cowboy on February 27, 2021, 06:00:20 PM
Quote from: Cowboy on February 14, 2021, 10:13:06 PM
I own 2. They are both NWTF 30 year medallions in Realtree Hardwoods.  24 inch barrels. Have a Primos Jellyhead in one right now. Other one is unfired in box. Dont really use it for turkey hunting.  It's my main gun of choice for coyotes. Last 3 I've killed have been 2 at 40+ yards and one big Male at 50 yards. I shoot Winchester Varmint X Copper plated BBs. However, I'll probably carry it to Oklahoma this spring. It also has a great pattern with Longbeard XR # 6.
Well guys, just shot both of these 835s at 40 yards with 3 1/2 inch 2 1/8 oz.. # 6. Both are shoot to the RIGHT! Thought it might be me, so my brother shot it. Both to the right. The one 835 handles 3 inch Longbeards ok. Any comments or ideas? What's going on?
My 835 shot about 3 inches right and 3 inches low on initial patterning session at 12 yards with dove loads.  Red dot cured that.

RiverBuck

I guess they all pattern differently because my 835 hits exactly where i put the bead. if I'm taking 40 yarders all I have to do is aim a little high to compensate for the natural drop but mine is a straight shooter with all the shells I've tried.

trkehunr93

I have one I purchased in 2006, woodland camo,24" ported barrel.  Put a Brileys turkey choke in it and shot the old white 3" Hevi 6's until I ran out.  Right now it has a Star Dot and shoots Hevi 3.5 7's great and Win HV 5 3.5's great as well.  The factory ulti full shoots Fed TSS 9's really well also.  I scoped it in 2014 but not because of POA/POI issues, just helped me keep from looking over the barrel and missing.  For fifteen years it's shot flawlessly, and has seen a lot turkeys killed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

Cowboy the longbeards impacted different than regular lead loads in mine but I have a red dot on it and shoot off of bags. Its much easier to deal with if you have an optic on there. I think different chokes affect the poi quite a bit as well. Especially the tightest chokes. Going with a red dot or scope might be the best bet if you want to go with those loads.

stinkpickle

My 835 is just a backup gun now.  I got it about 30 years ago, and was originally shooting the old olive drab Remington 3.5" shells thru a Hastings choke.  I added some Williams adjustable sights (pre-Firesights) and switched to Winchester HV shells when they came out.  Fast forward to today, I shoot 3.5" Nitro 4x5x7 hevishot thru a Rhino .690 choke.  But it's been a few years since I needed to use it.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Matt76cmich on February 14, 2021, 10:48:52 AM
I bought my 835 in the new Bottomland with a 26" barrel early this year. It will be my first fully dedicated turkey gun.  Putting a Fast Fire 3 on it with a Sumtoy mount and running an Indian Creek choke. I'll be running 3.5" Longbeard XR 6 shot and 3.5" Hevi 13 7 shot where I can't use lead.  I bought an ATI pistol grip stock for it when it was on sale through Mossberg, but it was kinda an impulse buy and not 100% sure if I'll use it right away since I'm not sure if the LimbSaver recoil pad I bought for the 835 will work on it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Got it setup today. Now I just have to sight in the FF3 and start patterning.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

I have owned, and sold more 835s than a man probably should. Lol. At one time I owned 7.  Everything from the gold trigger, walnut stocked crown field to the nwtf medallion gun and everything in between.  I've spent anywhere from $650 all the way down to $90 bucks for brand new guns and you simply will not find a better patterning shotgun around.  My current and now only 835 left is a former crown field that has had a slug gun trigger job, a 24" mirror polished and then chrome lined barrel, thumbhole stock with Sims pad and extended length forearm, a bushnell red dot and quite literally shoots anything I feed it well.  Its taken multiple birds' heads clean off to as far out as 18 yards and has killed birds with Heavyweights and tss to ranges I won't talk about on this forum.  Mine wears a .670 truglo Bone Collector Smackdown and throws just ridiculous patterns with straight Hevi, Magblends, Heavyweights, and TSS and even lead. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.