OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1050 vs 1200 fps

Started by Squidkid, February 13, 2021, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidkid

How much of a difference is 150 FPS?
In the case of LB XR #6's, where a 3.5  2 1/8 shell has roughly 40 more pellets than the 3.5 inch 2oz load.
Would you be better off having a few more pellets on target at 40 yards traveling slower compared to a few less traveling faster?

Gobbler428

Depends on how dead you want him?

guesswho

Have you patterned both?  You may find the faster patterns better, who knows.  But as far as killing a gobbler goes, it ain't going to make a bit of difference.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

owlhoot

Quote from: Squidkid on February 13, 2021, 07:30:00 PM
How much of a difference is 150 FPS?
In the case of LB XR #6's, where a 3.5  2 1/8 shell has roughly 40 more pellets than the 3.5 inch 2oz load.
Would you be better off having a few more pellets on target at 40 yards traveling slower compared to a few less traveling faster?
Depends on how your gun patterns with each load.
The 1300 load number 6 lead  pellets should hit as hard at 40 as the 1050 at 33.
You won't get the full velocity benefit of 150fps at 40 yards they say.

Squidkid

Ok, let's say patterns are equal.
How far are you extending your kill yardage from 1050fps to 1200fps?

owlhoot

Just like guesswho said above.
Also
Both 6 lead loads will have rapidly diminishing energy past 40 yards.

born2hunt

Quote from: Squidkid on February 13, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
Ok, let's say patterns are equal.
How far are you extending your kill yardage from 1050fps to 1200fps?

For the sake of ethical shots...none. A load of lead 4,5 or 6s traveling at either speed will roll one at 40yds providing the pattern is sufficient. Lets just leave it at that !
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

surehuntsalot

not going to make a bit of difference
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Ihuntoldschool

"You won't get the full velocity benefit of 150fps at 40 yards they say."
That is a fact. Simple physics.  You won't get anywhere near the the benefit of 150 fps at 40 yards.
The faster you launch a pellet the faster it slows and the more it's subject to deform on setback.

As already stated, not going to make a bit of difference is the correct answer.

Bowguy

Funny to me how guys sweat every single pellet in a patterning board but than fall into the HV marketing.  In fact they go extremely small sizes just to get more holes in paper. . The density, evenness of a pattern leaves no holes for a birds head to get through. More pellets should help that. I agree it'll never hurt to pattern. Don't worry what works best for us. Don't worry bout theorys or assumptions. Pattern your gun and shoot what works best than decide. A little more speed could actually help if you hit with 1 pellet. If you had say less speed and hit with more than one your actual combined energy striking the target would be higher. No one is considering that, frequency of combined strikes.  Either will work but patterns are the ultimate goal. The HV edge is marketing and a way to save for them.

Squidkid

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 14, 2021, 01:34:56 AM
That is a fact. Simple physics.  You won't get anywhere near the the benefit of 150 fps at 40 yards.
The faster you launch a pellet the faster it slows and the more it's subject to deform on setback.

Absolutely agree that you won't get the full velocity effect of 150fps at 40 yards, but I can only assume you will get some of it. 2 objects of the same size and weight traveling at different speeds has to have a difference in KE. Correct?  That's what I am hoping someone can tell me.

Spitten and drummen

Wont make any difference. Shoot what patterns the best for you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

Not sure if this will help or just help confuse things, but try this link. https://www.randywakeman.com/shotballistics.htm#:~:text=SHOT%20BALLISTICS&text=As%20Edward%20Lowry%20noted%20long,an%20index%20of%20pellet%20shape.

Understand that since shot is a sphere (not rotating like a conical bullet), if it exceeds 1,400 fps the pellet will fly erratically and the pattern will blow up.  If you get too fast, you're hurting your objective of tight, uniform patterns.  Greater velocities will also contribute to shot deformation (on softer Pb shot, hence the need for plated shot) which would expand the pattern.  Buffering helps hold the pattern together, be it solid (like longbeards) or granules that blow away and help maintain a tight shot column.

What would rather be run into by, a freight train running at a moderate speed, or a sports car hauling @$$ ? 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

ShootingABN!

I'm like the others. What's on the box doesn't matter to me. The pattern down range does.

A long time ago I tried to check mine. I have a ProChrono that I used all the time for archery. Well I wanted to see what my shotgun was going to do. Because I read somewhere manufactures measure with a 30" barrel and if you have a shorter barrel it will be less.

Well I set everything up and let her eat. It knocked down my Chrono! Guess having those ported barrels and chokes and shooting a 3.5" shell..... Anyway the Chrono had an error message on the screen... I didn't want to break my Chrono so never checked again.

Good luck and God bless.

Bowguy

Quote from: Squidkid on February 14, 2021, 09:35:41 AM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 14, 2021, 01:34:56 AM

Absolutely agree that you won't get the full velocity effect of 150fps at 40 yards, but I can only assume you will get some of it. 2 objects of the same size and weight traveling at different speeds has to have a difference in KE. Correct?  That's what I am hoping someone can tell me.

It's been explained to me that the faster something is the faster it slows down. I don't remember exact specifics but it's the way it cuts through the air and the effect. Do some 40 yard penetration comparison tests if that's something that interest you