News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1050 vs 1200 fps

Started by Squidkid, February 13, 2021, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidkid

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 14, 2021, 11:47:40 AM
Not sure if this will help or just help confuse things, but try this link. https://www.randywakeman.com/shotballistics.htm#:~:text=SHOT%20BALLISTICS&text=As%20Edward%20Lowry%20noted%20long,an%20index%20of%20pellet%20shape.

Understand that since shot is a sphere (not rotating like a conical bullet), if it exceeds 1,400 fps the pellet will fly erratically and the pattern will blow up.  If you get too fast, you're hurting your objective of tight, uniform patterns.  Greater velocities will also contribute to shot deformation (on softer Pb shot, hence the need for plated shot) which would expand the pattern.  Buffering helps hold the pattern together, be it solid (like longbeards) or granules that blow away and help maintain a tight shot column.

What would rather be run into by, a freight train running at a moderate speed, or a sports car hauling @$$ ? 

Jim

Thanks for the graph.
As far as the train vs car situation, we aren't talking about any other variable except speed.
So I guess you would have to ask would you rather be hit by a freight train going a moderate speed or the same freight train going 10% faster than the moderate speed?
I think we all can agree with the lower speed.

Squidkid

For those that are saying it doesn't make a difference, if your patterns were the same, would you rather shoot that pattern traveling 1200fps, 1050fps or 900fps?
And why?

quavers59

I go by Patterns on the Target. Has always worked for me

owlhoot

Quote from: Squidkid on February 14, 2021, 02:59:08 PM
For those that are saying it doesn't make a difference, if your patterns were the same, would you rather shoot that pattern traveling 1200fps, 1050fps or 900fps?
And why?
I like the 1200. Just a bit more energy down range. Don't want much more than that though. Pellet setback and all.
But your shooting long beards so who knows.

ChesterCopperpot

And why?
If the patterns the same, I'm shooting the heavier pay load with LB. An extra 40 pellets is 10% more shot out of those shells. I care more about them 40 pellets—especially with LB's tendency to shoot splotchy—than I ever would an extra 150fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squidkid

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 14, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
And why?
If the patterns the same, I'm shooting the heavier pay load with LB. An extra 40 pellets is 10% more shot out of those shells. I care more about them 40 pellets—especially with LB's tendency to shoot splotchy—than I ever would an extra 150fps.

Once agaih, If the pattern is the same it doesn't matter what the payload is. Hypothetically 100 in a ten inch circle with a 2 1/8 oz. load is the same as 100 in a ten inch circle with of a 2oz. load.

owlhoot

Try this. A few years go on here.
Turkey guns page 36.  Found ballistic calculators for spheres, April 13, 2015.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Squidkid on February 14, 2021, 10:25:18 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 14, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
And why?

Once agaih, If the pattern is the same it doesn't matter what the payload is. Hypothetically 100 in a ten inch circle with a 2 1/8 oz. load is the same as 100 in a ten inch circle with of a 2oz. load.
If you're only worried about 10" at 40, great. I'm more interested in where the rest of the pattern goes. The other pellets, including that extra 10%, are going somewhere and that somewhere tends to be the safety net for tight constrictions. So, again, I'm going heavier payload.

longbeards

Huntalot,
I understand your feelings, but it does matter. 6 years ago I shot a gobbler at 35 yards in Montana. What I thought was a good shot, didn't see s small branch in front of bird just a few yards. I had worked him for an hour and with several moves toward him. When the gun cracked he went down but I couldn't see him due to brush. I ran to him and as I got to where he had been no bird. I turned to my uphill side and there he was hobbling along at 70 or so yards. I had no chance to run him down and instantly shot. May have only been one pellet, but rolled him. It was Hevi-Shot mag blend at 1200fps. As I walked to get him I realized how far he had been and he would have gotten away if I hadn't shot!
With Kind Regards
longbeards

Squidkid

Quote from: owlhoot on February 15, 2021, 12:26:38 AM
Try this. A few years go on here.
Turkey guns page 36.  Found ballistic calculators for spheres, April 13, 2015.

Awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for. Definitely shows the extra speed make a difference.
It might only be a few yards, but definitely a difference.
Thanks for looking this up for me.

owlhoot

Your welcome . And if you go back to them years you will find tons of discussions on lead shot and winchester longbeard loads. They really sparked a lot of talk when they first come out. Of course nothing wrong with starting up threads on them again.
Good luck on finding a great load for your gun and you.

Squidkid

I'm currently shooting a strut stopper extreme out of my 835 but have a colonial 'star dot' showing up tomorrow.
If things go right I'll have 6 different rounds to put thru it from LBs to hevi 13 to magnum blend and some Winchester extended.
Looking forward to it.

owlhoot

Quote from: Squidkid on February 15, 2021, 12:13:47 PM
I'm currently shooting a strut stopper extreme out of my 835 but have a colonial 'star dot' showing up tomorrow.
If things go right I'll have 6 different rounds to put thru it from LBs to hevi 13 to magnum blend and some Winchester extended.
Looking forward to it.
if you get some good patterns with the magnum blend or the Winchester extended you don't have to worry about 1050 vs 1200 velocity in my opinion. Those two loads are killers.

Greg Massey

We use to kill them with high brass duck and pheasant loads. Back in those days if we had a pretty good pattern in the 20 - 25 yard range we had a shooter. Sometimes i think we get to caught up in over thinking shells. But i will say with TSS, a gun that wouldn't perform so well in the pass with lead, will perform a lot better with TSS... just a different world with these new turkey guns, shells, chokes and you can now carry less weight in a gun. I can remember the day i finally got a 10 ga. it was like dragging a ball and chain around. It was almost like throwing a stick of dynamite at a 25 yard target..

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 15, 2021, 12:41:07 PM
It was almost like throwing a stick of dynamite at a 25 yard target..

This quote made my day.