turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dumb question - optics mounting

Started by btomlin, February 12, 2021, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

My turkey gun has the grooves machined into the receiver for optics mounting.  Do these typically work with the burris, vortex, swampfox type optics or would I need something additional for mounting?  If I need to drill/tap, I'll probably just keep killing with the "ol brass bead".

Tom007

Can't tell from your photo. Try and take a picture of the grooves you thing are something that can be used to mount an optic. Your pic is not clear, and too large...thanks
"Solo hunter"

Upfold99

The optics you mentioned will require a drilled and tapped base or they come with a mount for picatinny rail.

You can find dovetail to picatinny rails online. Not sure of their strength. I think most are for airsoft type guns.

You can also find a mount online that will allow you to clamp the sight on the vented rib.

I don't have experience with either, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Upfold99

Quote from: Upfold99 on February 12, 2021, 04:08:16 PM
The optics you mentioned will require a drilled and tapped base or they come with a mount for picatinny rail.

You can find dovetail to picatinny rails online. Not sure of their strength. I think most are for airsoft type guns.

You can also find a mount online that will allow you to clamp the sight on the vented rib.

This is 3/8th dovetail to picatinny

btomlin

Quote from: Tom007 on February 12, 2021, 03:50:28 PM
Can't tell from your photo. Try and take a picture of the grooves you thing are something that can be used to mount an optic. Your pic is not clear, and too large...thanks

Sorry...I'm not sure how to resize the pics.  Added a different one. 

btomlin

Quote from: Upfold99 on February 12, 2021, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: Upfold99 on February 12, 2021, 04:08:16 PM

This is 3/8th dovetail to picatinny

Thanks!  I wasn't sure if I needed a conversion mount like that or not.  Not sure I even need something like the reflex optics since I like em close and committed before ending my season. 

Tom007

Your getting good info now, it will keep coming. Best of luck....
"Solo hunter"

dbishop

The above mentioned adaptor rail should work fine.  I'll just warn you to be careful...or next thing you know you'll be shooting TSS and looking to get your gun dipped and adding a tactical pistol grip stock!  Those sights do make a huge difference for the better though...especially if you have poor vision like myself and that bead gets harder to see every year.  Best of luck this season!