turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do yall use to cut spurs off with?

Started by campcreekfarm, May 22, 2011, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountman62

I use a bandsaw to cut them off with, i just leave the scales on the legs, i push the tendon & marrow out and dip in borax, have some 20 year old still with the scales on
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Reloader

I use my knife to cut them off at the joint when skinning. Throw them in the shop to dry, then cut above and below the spur with a jigsaw.  I also run a small drill bit through to knock out the marrow.  Can't imagine it being any easier.

I leave the skin on, paint it, and clear coat.

mudhen

I freeze the legs first, then use hack or coping saw.  Peel the red skin, scrape a bit, and wash in Dawn.  Let dry.  Clean up with Dremel drum sander.  Used to coat with auto clear coat, but don't anymore.  If you let them dry on the leg, the marrow can soak into the bone, and you can get yellow smelly spurs  ;D

2011:

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Roost Wrecker

Jigsaw, pocket knife, rotozip with sanding wheel

guesswho

I just use pruners to cut them off and then run a stick threw the leg bone to clean it out and then throw the spurs in a bucket.  I wish I had done them the way some of you have, but I'm not about to go back and do them now. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRKYHTR

Quote from: guesswho on May 23, 2011, 07:13:26 PM
I just use pruners to cut them off and then run a stick threw the leg bone to clean it out and then throw the spurs in a bucket.  I wish I had done them the way some of you have, but I'm not about to go back and do them now. 

Why not? It's just time and turkey season is over.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

timbrhuntr

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 23, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

TRKYHTR

:TooFunny:

:chucknorris:

LX_Trkyhntr

I use a dremel tool with the cut off wheel, pocket knife, and a Q-Tip to get the marrow out.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 23, 2011, 08:07:47 PM

TRKYHTR
It would take me to next turkey season, and I don't have any patience from May 15th to March 15th. ;D 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

vaturkey

I use a hacksaw & pocket knife also !     :newmascot:
Vaturkey

drenalinld

I used handcutters and bolt cutters until i busted up a few legs. Now I use a cordless sawzall. I soak them in bleach after removing the skin and marrow if I want them without the skin. Sometimes I leave the skin on and remove the marrow and place them in a ziploc bag with some Borax for a couple weeks in a cool dry place. i think they look good with or without the skin.

gobbler336

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 26, 2011, 03:03:32 PM
For years I just nailed the fans and legs up on the sides of the barn. About 10 years ago I started hack sawing the spur sections off and dropping them in a can of borax. Pushed the marrow out too. Then after they were well dried I'd dip them in polyurethane. Works pretty good but the last couple years I've just been peeling them like mentioned before. This year I used 40 volume peroxide too.

This years spurs

Also did my first skull this year, Mr. Pellet head. May do another next season.

whoa that appears to be a hevi shot pellet is it?  what size is it supposed to be? and at what distance was he shot.  folks in the reloading section would love to see this.  thanks for sharing!

earlybird

Ive always used either a bandsaw or chopsaw and my pocket knife.

Basser69

I use a pair of limb loppers and a drill bit for the marrow.