turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

steel shot through Indian Creek Black Diamond strike for POA/POI

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 08, 2021, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a lot of bad ideas, and this may be one.  I have some Kent 2.75" #4 steel shot laying around and was wondering if it could be used to get my initial POI using my 835 with an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke.  The choke is .675 constriction.  Given how tight steel shot holds it may give me a better POI at a longer distance.  I normally use #8 target or dove loads at 15 yards.  Will steel shot damage the choke?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

I wouldn't do it. Especially if it was a choke I was fond of. POI really shouldn't change much if sighted in with dove loads at 15yds. If POI is changing drastically then I would sight in specifically for whatever load you're wanting to shoot. Expensive, but if POI is moving around much it's probably shell specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

According to the IC website, they state lead and hybrid heavy loads.  They also say DON"T shoot steel shot through their chokes.  https://indiancreekss.com/customer-service/  Read #7.  Grab some dove loads and stay inside 15 yards and adjust POA/POI.

Bowguy

Meleagris gallopavo

Yep.  It was another bad idea.  I'll stick with lead # 8s.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

bbcoach

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 08, 2021, 07:32:15 PM
Yep.  It was another bad idea.  I'll stick with lead # 8s.

Bad idea would have been shooting steel shot through that choke before research and it exploding causing injury or death.  Smart idea was asking before you did it.  Very Smart Idea IMO!

Ihuntoldschool

You will split your choke and possibly your barrel but likely just the tube with only a shot or two.  Your POI with the steel may get you close to your POI with your chosen turkey load or it may not you just never know.

runngun

That or it will swell the choke tube, causing it to seize. Kroil, heat and muscle would be required to remove the choke, if you are lucky.

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.