turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Securing gun on Kayak

Started by EastKyGobblerSlayer, February 08, 2021, 02:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EastKyGobblerSlayer

Planning on Kayaking some this year to reach some areas of public land. Ive been thinking about how to secure my gun. I really dont want to have any of those "boating accidents" people like to joke about and lose my shotgun. Has anyone came up with something that secures and floats for those just in case/crap happens type of situations? A friend told me they make "floating" gun cases for waterfowl hunters, thats completely out of my wheelhouse if you have advice about those it would be appreciated.

Nathan_Wiles

Floating shotgun cases by Avery are what I use when duck hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

The kayak itself is going to float better than anything you could affix to a shotgun to try and make it buoyant. I say that to say, figure out a way to secure your shotgun to the kayak itself and you'll be good to go. Don't know the best option for what that might look like as I don't know what kind of boat you're running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simpzenith

I ratchet strap my gun case to my kayak. I can strap it down in line with the kayak or across as seen in the attached image.

derek

ATV single gun rack mounted down the bow.  Some kind of bungee or strap to keep it secured if it were to roll, and floating gun cases are a must. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

PalmettoRon

Macks Prairie Wings carries good quality waterproof floating gun cases. That should be sufficient to just put your gun in the kayak parallel with the boat.I've never accessed turkeys using a boat, but have hunted ducks with a Poke Boat(sort of kayak) using a waterproof floating case and never had an issue. I suppose if you're going to be encountering any current, you should secure the case with some type of bungee or tie down. I don't really have a place where I need to use a boat to get on gobblers, but have always thought it would be a cool thing to do. My Poke Boat even has a small trolling motor which I use to get to and from the ducks are and then power it off and get the prop out of the water. Good luck! Send pics this Spring from your kayak!

davisd9

Do not overthink it and many good ideas have been shared.  It can be as easy as tying a string to a milk jug and then on the stock of the gun.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

g8rvet

I turkey hunt from john boat and I duck hunt.  Floating gun case.  Not only are you safer if it is dropped overboard, but it also keeps the gun dry just from splashing and such. I have the avery as well.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

catman529

I have a sit inside kayak. The gun goes between my legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crghss

I use a sit on top kayak (Hobie's), disconnect barrel and put it belly of the yak. Works for me.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

EastKyGobblerSlayer

I appreciate the input and photos from all of you. Looks like Ill be ordering a case , Ill work out how I want to attach it with the ratchet strap while its on the way. Ill post about the naval assault this spring for sure. I just have to remember to strap the turkey down so we dont find out if a dead one floats....

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on February 08, 2021, 05:38:25 PM
I turkey hunt from john boat and I duck hunt.  Floating gun case.  Not only are you safer if it is dropped overboard, but it also keeps the gun dry just from splashing and such. I have the avery as well.
X2!!! This is the best advice. That's what I do when boating for turkeys or ducks.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Hook hanger

Quote from: EastKyGobblerSlayer on February 09, 2021, 09:34:10 AM
I appreciate the input and photos from all of you. Looks like Ill be ordering a case , Ill work out how I want to attach it with the ratchet strap while its on the way. Ill post about the naval assault this spring for sure. I just have to remember to strap the turkey down so we dont find out if a dead one floats....

Floating gun case is the way to go! Good luck on your quest. And yes turkeys do float