only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Loads Online Availability?

Started by BDeal, February 07, 2021, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Quote from: bbcoach on February 08, 2021, 12:06:37 PM
Quote from: BDeal on February 08, 2021, 10:41:46 AM
I'm seeing some #4 and #5 shot but cant find any #6. I would be fine to get through the season but my 16 YO son is going to try turkey hunting for this first time and so I would like to get a couple of extra boxes for him to practice with.
Use dove loads to check POA/POI and practice with.  Grab a couple boxes of the 5's and let him shoot one or two at 40 yards for patterning purposes only.  This year, shells are going to be hard to come by.
Absolute truth! I usually purchase ammo year around because of this.
I have enough ammo to turkey hunt for several years, but I always try to stock up throughout the year so this doesn't become an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

I'm seeing some #4 and #5 shot but cant find any #6. I would be fine to get through the season but my 16 YO son is going to try turkey hunting for this first time and so I would like to get a couple of extra boxes for him to practice with.
Use dove loads to check POA/POI and practice with.  Grab a couple boxes of the 5's and let him shoot one or two at 40 yards for patterning purposes only.  This year, shells are going to be hard to come by.
X 2. Don't practice with your turkey loads just for the sake on shooting.  Especially with the shortage going on.

tha bugman

I waited in line last week at Academys for ammo.  I was there at 6:20am, got my number at 7:00am then had to report back at 8:45am to get in line.  Only 5 were allowed in the store at a time to buy ammo.  I felt like I was in Russia waiting in line for potatoes.

rakkin6

Quote from: tha bugman on February 09, 2021, 07:53:09 PM
I waited in line last week at Academys for ammo.  I was there at 6:20am, got my number at 7:00am then had to report back at 8:45am to get in line.  Only 5 were allowed in the store at a time to buy ammo.  I felt like I was in Russia waiting in line for potatoes.
They are limiting at the Academy by me. People are just buying ammo for guns in calibers/gauges they don't even own. Just to sell them online for 5 times what they are worth. I have no problem with people making money trust me I am a capitalist through and through. But if you don't even own a gun to shoot it through that is a little messed up.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Cowboy

This is how lots of things are going to be.

bbcoach

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 10, 2021, 05:53:45 AM
They are limiting at the Academy by me. People are just buying ammo for guns in calibers/gauges they don't even own. Just to sell them online for 5 times what they are worth. I have no problem with people making money trust me I am a capitalist through and through. But if you don't even own a gun to shoot it through that is a little messed up.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Another way to take away our 2nd Amendment Rights!  No Ammo, No Guns!

dublelung

410 is the only ammo I've had trouble finding and I've still got a few from last year. 16 and 20 gauge Apex wasn't a problem but I didn't wait until the last minute to order it.

BDeal

Quote from: Cowboy on February 09, 2021, 06:02:31 AM
X 2. Don't practice with your turkey loads just for the sake on shooting.  Especially with the shortage going on.

My turkey ammo and dove loads do not shoot with the same POA/POI and I only shoot one or two rounds a year to verify everything is on from an accuracy standpoint and that nothing has changed. I just wanted an extra box or two so my son can get used to shooting a shotgun with a turkey load.

ShootingABN!

Still no Winchester XR here in South MS. I've called and went to Academy and the Walmart. Nothing. The Academy's do have Federal TSS, as do local gun stores.

Can't even find XR online, nothing in Cabela's or BPS..... Nothing...

I emailed Winchester today asking about availability? They said it's in high demand this year and they are doing there best to get it out....

I shoot Custom Nitro and already placed my order. Just waiting for it to arrive. However I'm looking for a friend.

Good luck everyone.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 10, 2021, 05:53:45 AM

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

this is how it is going to be for quite a while, welcome to the new america
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

Quote from: BDeal on February 10, 2021, 03:18:58 PM
Quote from: Cowboy on February 09, 2021, 06:02:31 AM

My turkey ammo and dove loads do not shoot with the same POA/POI and I only shoot one or two rounds a year to verify everything is on from an accuracy standpoint and that nothing has changed. I just wanted an extra box or two so my son can get used to shooting a shotgun with a turkey load.
Just a thought , you could try some some high brass pheasant type loads. Box of 25 lots cheaper. And may hit poi/poa with your turkey loads. I have some 2 3/4" mag federal pheasant loads that hit the same in my boys 20 gauge 870 as the hevi 6 and Hw7's . Recoil is close too. Dove loads in that gun hit different like yours also.

ChesterCopperpot

Some Winchester Super X Turkey 12ga 3" #5s available on Cabela's right now. I know they're just straight lead but if you can't find ammo they're a wonderful 35yd shell. They pattern very well and evenly out of my setups.

Cowboy

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 11, 2021, 11:51:34 AM
Some Winchester Super X Turkey 12ga 3" #5s available on Cabela's right now. I know they're just straight lead but if you can't find ammo they're a wonderful 35yd shell. They pattern very well and evenly out of my setups.

yep. These are good economical loads. Shot them alot before all the TSS and Hevi craze kicked in.  My brother us always pushing me on the TSS loads. I'm still holding out. Lol

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Cowboy on February 14, 2021, 04:43:03 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 11, 2021, 11:51:34 AM

yep. These are good economical loads. Shot them alot before all the TSS and Hevi craze kicked in.  My brother us always pushing me on the TSS loads. I'm still holding out. Lol

Your brother may have a good point. I still handload TSS for Turkey, Coyote and Bobcat. You won't find me searching for ammo a month or two prior to season as I have loaded enough for two or three years. Hopefully this pandemic and anti gun crowd will have run its course shortly and things can get back to normal. I am already geared up for the mid term elections.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.