OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had 3 fail to fire w Long Beard XR today..

Started by RiverBuck, February 05, 2021, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverBuck

Decided I needed a shoulder massage today so I pulled out my trusty 835 w 28" barrel and set up a few targets at 40. This gun may be long but she's mine and toxic to turkey.

I've always taken pride in the fact it will kill a turkey using any shell w a turkey on the box. With that said, I decided to find out what all the LBXR hype was about. I bought some from Midway a month ago in #4 shot. I like 4's because of the yotes I randomly call in.

Racked 1 shell, aimed, and click. First time this has ever happened to me using the 835.
Looked at it and it looked like a light hit on the primer so I racked the same shell and made sure the everything was tight and ready to go... click.
So I loaded a new LB and the same thing happened. It's kind of like they don't sit right or sit too deep in my shotgun.

I have zero confidence in Winchester Long Beards.

So, I decided to hit some targets w some of the other shells I have.
Partly sunny, 54 degrees, wind was gusting from the west at 12-15mph, barometer was 29.7, 32% humidity.

RiverBuck

Here's some target pics.. Pretty sure I pulled the XX Turkey shot... last one I did and my shoulder was well massaged by then.

Turkeytider

That`s interesting. I could swear I saw another post that reported some problems with LB XRs. Don`t remember the shot size ( 4or 5 )

RiverBuck

It is strange. My shotgun will shoot any size any brand shell and never had any issues but for some reason the LBXR's are not happy in my gun.

Not sure why the pics are coming in sideways but I apologize.. Ended up shooting the gun 7 times today.. Here's another pic of my ol faithful Winchester Supreme XX Turkey loads. 3.5", 2.25 oz, #6 w my favorite, Hevi Shot choke.

owlhoot

Quote from: Turkeytider on February 05, 2021, 03:51:45 PM
That`s interesting. I could swear I saw another post that reported some problems with LB XRs. Don`t remember the shot size ( 4or 5 )
Have been a few. Even saw it happen on some videos of youtube hunts.

ahfox16

It appears you got a batch with hard primers.  I'd contact Winchester and send them some pics.  They will probably send you a new box for free. 

PS.  Your photos are probably sideways because they are taken with an Iphone or Ipad and posted directly.  I believe if you modify the pic at all, then they will load in the right direction.  At least that's what I've heard.

Its not abnormal to get some shells with hard primers. 

northms

Bad batch of primers it seems like former poster said. I shoot LB XR out of my Mossberg 835 exclusively the last few years and it goes bang every time. And puts a whooping on the turkeys. I'm glad you figured that primer situation out before heading into the woods.

chipper

I have a 835 that was hunted hard before I got it, a buddy was a big duck hunter and used the gun very hard duck season for several years, and didn't care for it like he should have, anyways one year we were hunting and called a bird up and his misfired twice and as the bird was leaving his 3rd shot fired but he didn't get the bird and was determined that the gun was wore out and I traded him a old Blodgett pot call and $100 dollars for it, I took it home and disassembled it and took non chlorine brake cleaner and cleans the bolt assembly and mag tube and sprayed out every crack and crevice on that gun close to 15 years ago and it has never missed a beat since, not saying your gun is dirty but just something you might look at, there was all kinds of junk in that one. That gun doesn't get used much anymore and is a safe queen, memories of past hunts and I have the matching one right beside it, both bought around 90-91 in the original real tree pattern. Those may be bad primers though, they hit awfully hard looks like!

owlhoot

Could try firing those in another gun I guess. Non 835.
Also go read thread on May 11, 2018 Win longbeard issues.

Goat boy

If you contact Winchester regarding the longboards let us know what they tell you. Interesting to see where the problem is coming from.

THattaway

Could also be dirty firing pin or mag cap a little loose. I had a Win1300 click on three shells on a tom inside 25 yards once. Not a good feeling. Disassembled gun right there, reassembled and fired same three shells. Thorough cleaning afterward revealed very sooty firing pin. Never a problem before or after with same winchester loads, same batch even.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

RiverBuck

After that session I broke the entire gun down and cleaned it up. Wasn't that dirty but I haven't shot it since. I may try and shoot those shells this weekend.. If I do, I'll give you a report.
I contacted Winchester yesterday through their website but at this point haven't heard anything back. When I do, I'll let you know how they handle it.