OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: South holston lake tennessee public land  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Aguilliams

South holston lake tennessee public land
« on: February 05, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »
Was wondering if anyone had any info hunting around south holston lake on public ground. Not looking for spots or anything like that but just some general info about terrain or bird populations. Looking to make a trip this spring. Thanks in advance

Offline Gmed

Re: South holston lake tennessee public land
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »
Live within 20 minutes of there. Rough hunting the public sections in most places. Birds are scattered throughout but expect to have some company turkey hunting. Not as many people hunting the public during deer season because there are deer everywhere in the county now, but private property permission for either deer or turkey is almost non-existent. People will complain to you all day about the deer eating their gardens but they won’t let hunters in. A man might have some luck turkey scouting some by boat then lookin at a map to see how close the nearest walk in access might be. Hunt by boat, but knowing where the closest road is might alleviate some of the walk in pressure from access roads. All the public land there is called the Cherokee National Forest. It is HUGE, and skips around everywhere so consult your maps....

Offline Aguilliams

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the info. I saw on one map it looks like a road that parallels between the lake and the big mountain. Kinda thought it looked like a good place for some birds on the ridges around the lake

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the info. I saw on one map it looks like a road that parallels between the lake and the big mountain. Kinda thought it looked like a good place for some birds on the ridges around the lake
Yeah that road gets pounded. Lot of guys hunt off boats to. There's not really anywhere you can get away from people as the remote stuff is steep and thick and doesn't hold birds. Like the above poster said, birds are scattered or what I call in pockets. The population has really took a hit the last 7 years on public but there's several on private.  The amount of hunters last year was insane. I'm not far at all from there but I'm not buying a license this year and I've hunted it almost every year since 2001ish

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk