OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pup has Cancer  (Read 1533 times)

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

Pup has Cancer
« on: February 05, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
Hey y'all

My 9+ year old lab (mix) has two kinds of cancer. I've never had much luck in treating a dog for cancer and so I told the vet this time we are going to let it be. She doesn't even know it yet as it was caught on her annual examine. She had a bunch of lumps assumed to be lipomas last years check up and this year the assumed the same except for two bigger ones. One tested as a mass cell tumor and the other as a mammary gland tumor.

For all you Dog lovers out there, this was my first pup on my own (had about 10 plus dogs in my immediate family growing up) but this was the one I got when I got my own place after college. So she's special and her name is Luna. I just pray that she enjoys the balance of her life and her pain is little.

Thanks y'all
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Pup has Cancer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:44:37 PM »
As someone a lot more attached to dogs than people, I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve got one whining at my feet right now as I type this, me and him having just come back from a trip to his favorite gun shop. Ain’t ever easy losing a dog. Like one of my favorite novelists Barry Hannah put it once, “God creates the world and say on Saturday afternoon he must separate  the animals from man so he creates a sudden chasm like an earthquake that leaves man on one side and the animals on the other. And while the chasm’s open, dog jumps over and stands by man. And that’s the way it’s gonna be. That’s the way it’s gotta be.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:04:25 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Pup has Cancer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
Prayers to you and your family...god bless
“Solo hunter”

Offline RiverBuck

• Custom Hunting Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 04:02:14 PM »
Prayers sent for you and Luna.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »
So sorry to hear this, would not wish it on anyone.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 07:47:18 PM »
Very sorry brother.  Mast cell tumors can be tough.  There are things you can do that are not true chemo to be sure Luna stays as comfortable as long as possible.  I am sure your vet has told you about antihistamines (mast cells release histamines).  Not all MCT (mast cell tumors) are created equal.  Low grades have a good survival time with nothing but removal.  Same can be true for mammary tumors.  It all depends on the biopsy results. 

Recently put down a close friends lab for lymphoma we had discovered on a physical, after surgery and chemo kept him happy for 9 months.  2 weeks later I put my brother's lab down for bone cancer of the front leg.  He elected no amputation/chemo. 

Sending prayers of comfort and strength for both Luna and your family.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline HunterS5

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
Wishing you and Luna all the best. Dogs are very special!

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 07:34:46 PM »
So sorry to hear this. Dogs are the best. You and Luna hang in there.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 08:17:44 PM »
Prayers sent. I understand your grief. Remember to look for signs. If she becomes uncomfortable do the right thing by her. So many find it hard