OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is there a self-help group for hunting equipment addiction

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 05, 2021, 08:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

This topic has been on my mind lately.  I have a problem.  I tell myself every year that I'm gonna cut back on purchasing new hunting stuff, and every year I fail.  My drugs of choice are duck decoys and decoy rigs and turkey calls.  This year I purchased 30 new duck decoys and I've already purchased 9 turkey calls since Christmas (mostly diaphragms though).  I know I have "enough" of all this stuff and it's more than adequate to fulfill my needs.  Yet I make up hunting situations or come up with new ideas that I obsess over until I purchase what I want.  Sometimes I only use these things once a year (mostly duck hunting stuff).  My wife gets angry and I find myself devising sneaky ways of obtaining said "wants".  I know I'm not alone in this...

BTW, don't you think the term self-help group is an oxymoron?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

Trust me, there is no cure for this disease. Highly contagious, no cure...sad...but fun...... :turkey2:

jgard

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: jgard on February 05, 2021, 09:03:33 AM
This place certainly offers no help for this disease.
That's for sure.  Like being in a trap house.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Which Gun

It's a true pandemic no mask can fix. My buddy and me just realized how much we've spent on fishing lures last year. I have another Holleran call on order like I need another. I feel your pain. I'm holding out on buying another turkey gun like the two I have can't get it done. There is no cure for me I'm afraid.

I feel that I'm just helping out the economy the only way that I know.

ol bob

Turkeytider

Quote from: Tom007 on February 05, 2021, 08:59:30 AM
Trust me, there is no cure for this disease. Highly contagious, no cure...sad...but fun...... :turkey2:

It`s a disease akin to an alcohol or other drug addiction.

Greg Massey

I have a cure for this disease, it's called enjoying what you do.. LOL.. I tell people i don't smoke or drink , so i guess i will just buy turkey hunting stuff.. LOL... But i can look back and remember raising a family , that i couldn't buy some of these nice turkey calls and guns. I remember i use to think 10 - 15 dollars for a box of copper plated lead turkey loads were high. Now i pay 40 plus dollars for 5 shells .. SO I HAVE TO AGREE GUYS, I'VE GOT THE TURKEY DISEASE... LOL... :OGturkeyhead:

NCL

According to the Chief Financial Officer aka wife I spend to much money on fishing/hunting supplies and equipment. She just commented this morning on my purchasing of fly rods, I only purchased three spey rods last years which certainly does not seem excessive to my thoughts. So I guess I am in this club also

bbcoach

We joke around about our wife's addiction to shoes and shopping but Really we have the same addiction, sometimes on a LARGER scale.

This is an addiction!  There is only one thing that can stop it and it's YOU and the word NO!

My Mom and Dad had a saying when I was growing up, "Don't Let your WANTS Hurt You."  I've done my Best to Heed this warning.

Tail Feathers

I don't know what cures it, but I'll stay the heck away from whatever it is when someone identifies it!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

PalmettoRon

Hi Mileagris, I'm Ron and I'm a turkeyholic. It's ok. Embrace it. There are far worse vices. I'm tweeking right now just thinking of my drive to FL 6 weeks from today.

2eagles

Think the op's wife got into his account and wrote this thread. None of us hunters would ever write this.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2021, 10:28:15 AM
I have a cure for this disease, it's called enjoying what you do.. LOL.. I tell people i don't smoke or drink , so i guess i will just buy turkey hunting stuff.. LOL... But i can look back and remember raising a family , that i couldn't buy some of these nice turkey calls and guns. I remember i use to think 10 - 15 dollars for a box of copper plated lead turkey loads were high. Now i pay 40 plus dollars for 5 shells .. SO I HAVE TO AGREE GUYS, I'VE GOT THE TURKEY DISEASE... LOL... :OGturkeyhead:

Be honest with you guys...I hope they don't find a cure, and no, I won't take a vaccine for this "Turkey Virus".