OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot Call Advice/Recommendations  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Spyder

Pot Call Advice/Recommendations
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:43:01 AM »
How’s it going guys, so I currently have a Halloran Crystal Mistress that I really like. I would like to add another pot, just to have a different sound. I have somewhat settled on a green slate and have been trying to decide between the two calls listed below. I’m also open to other recommendations. I have scoured the forum, but there are so many options out there it can be a little overwhelming. Thanks for any inputs you guys might have, it’s appreciated.

1. Halloran Zebrawood Green Slate
2. John Sinclair Black Limba Green Slate over glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Pot Call Advice/Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
The 2 calls and call makers you mentioned are fantastic options. You also have a lot of guys on this forum that make fantastic calls. Too many to mention, but you can scroll through the classifieds here and get plenty of info, pictures, advice, and contact info. Best of luck, you have a lot of great options...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »
Darrin Dawkins makes a nice green slate pot.  I have one and like it.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:40:36 AM »
MAC or Buster. I’ve got a Lonzo too I like better than those calls. I guess it’s all subjective but that’s my opinion. David’s call is a good one too though

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 08:49:05 AM »
John Sinclair's reputation is a great one and Buster makes an awesome call. That said, I got a green slate in Cherry from Nathan Taylor last month and it's in the running for my favourite slate pot.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
I forgot, I have a green slate pot from Lonzo I really like as well.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Pot Call Advice/Recommendations
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:35 AM »
If I were wanting a green slate I’d get one from Buster Halford likely in a persimmon pot. If I had a crystal and a slate and wanted a third pot with a very different sound, though, I’d likely be going aluminum.

I may have read your post wrong. If all you have is a crystal then I think a green slate would be a great option and again I’d go Buster Halford persimmon.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:31:31 AM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline Spyder

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
Currently I do only have the one crystal pot. Honestly, I do appreciate all the feedback, I’m sure guys get tired of answering the same ole questions. It does get tough when you are looking at all the options, and everyone’s ear is different, so completely understand it is all subject to opinion and we all know how that goes. I’m going to look though all the recommendations. Ultimately, I would just like to get a good call and support some smaller builders that take pride in their work. Oh yeah, and kill some birds. Thanks guys

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »
You already have a quality Slate and Crystal, now look for an Aluminum and a handful of different strikers.  I recommend JLH for the strikers and a Darrin Dawkins Blasted Aluminum acrylic.  With 3 different call surfaces and a half dozen strikers, you will have a pile of different hens in your vest.  Good Luck!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
My top picks are Mark Cornelius, Larry Buster Halford, Clay Townsend and Brad Roberts. As others have mention we have a lot of good pot call builders other than my top picks.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 12:41:47 PM »
Sorry I miss read the post and thought you had a green slate.  I would opt for a Quality slate first and add the aluminum when I could.  Get a few strikers and you'll be set.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
Sorry I miss read the post and thought you had a green slate.  I would opt for a Quality slate first and add the aluminum when I could.  Get a few strikers and you'll be set.

Would agree with this. A slate will give you a different sound from the CM. I have a CM, a Sinclair red slate, a gray slate and an all weather Enticer aluminum pot. Slates in general will give you an opportunity for a deeper, more mellow sound than the sharper, higher pitched crystal and aluminum surfaces. Just my experience.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 09:20:35 PM »
Both the builders you have mentioned build great calls. Glass or crystal over aluminum always sounds great to me . Many great options out there with a very long list of great call builders.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 01:46:55 PM »
Two pots that are priced really low but sound awesome are made by Hooks custom calls. Both are in a Mike Batty pot which can be had in either gray slate or glass for 20 or 25 each. You won't break the bank and still have a great sounding pot call for your vest. The sound from either is worth more than they ask for the call.

Offline RND1983

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
Reach out to Larry (Buster) Halford and ask for his recommendation for green slate. I’ve never really told him exactly what I wanted, but asked for his recommendation on each surface I have of his. He knocks it out of the park every single time at a reasonable price. Nothing wrong with Halloran or Sinclair though...but this is my .02.