turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A man and his Son had first crack.

Started by ShootingABN!, January 24, 2021, 09:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

I was hunting on private land in Virginia. I was not the only one with rights to hunt this area.

Hour before daylight I was parked in a prime spot. Long field that had a beautiful ridge that had many fingers running off of it. This area usually held several long beards.

As I was waiting for first light. I didn't want to walk past a gobbler if one was closer.

A truck drove up. The gentlemen asked if I had heard anything yet in the dark? Why no I haven't. He told me him and his Son roosted a bird the night before off of the furthest point. He said they couldn't stay long because he had to take his son to school. I said well y'all go in there and kill him. I would go to the next finger over.... He said the bird was only 100 yards past the field edge.

Surprising to me with it breaking daylight, he drove his truck all the way to the point. I just walked off to the side. I figured I had all day and I would just set down and enjoy the show. Well as I was walking the park and get out and SLAM their doors, started talking loud.... I was confused they said the bird was within 100 yards of the field. They hit an owl hooter.... Started screaming on a crow call.... Nothing not a peep.

I had walked in the woods on the next finger over and only 25 yards off of the field. Not making a sound. Just seeing what they were going to do next.

As the sun came up I heard LOUD Yelps..... Then more loud Yelps.... Then Cutting..... Nothing... The Gobbler never sounded off.

All of a sudden I heard them talking and the truck door slam and the truck drove off..

Thirty minutes later the bird Gobbled on his own. I did some soft yelps, he answered.... I called one other time he answered and he was on his way.

I shot that bird at 20 yards.

I figured if they continued to hunt that way they would not have killed that bird anyway...

Ctrize

Yes sir there's a good lesson in there.

High plains drifter

I didn't start getting birds until I learned  how to be quiet. Plus, wearing a face mask, and gloves at all times, and stay away from open ground,  in daylight.

Turkeybutt

Lesson learned!
Makes me wonder what type of hunter that guys son will be in the future.

mikejd

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 05, 2022, 06:02:09 AM
Lesson learned!
Makes me wonder what type of hunter that guys son will be in the future.

A lousy one.