OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Super Mag Special Purpose

Started by CrustyRusty, January 20, 2021, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyRusty

I have a chance to buy this shotgun, new old stock for $650. Any thoughts on this.  Is it a good shotgun, have there been any reliability issues with this model?  The only problem I have is that I am left handed and would want to swap the stock out...  it looks like finding a regular stock in the same camo won't be easy for this, unless someone on here knows where I can find one.  I appreciate any help and advise you have

Tom007

I don't know much about the Super mag special purpose, but I look around a lot at the 870's on gun sites and that seems like a pretty good price....best of luck.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Just looked on Numrich Gun Parts Web site. They have some good options for 870 stocks at pretty good prices. Type in google Numrich Gun Parts. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

Ozarks Hillbilly

Sorry for my confusion on why you would need to replace the stock. Is it a Monte Carlo or a thumb hole? If there is a picture or a link attached I can't see it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

It's a thumb hole but with a pronounced check rest made for right handed shooters only and a thumb hole angled for righties only as well.  A stupid design if you ask me.  I am lefty and it's impossible for left handed use

Turkeytider

Quote from: CrustyRusty on January 20, 2021, 07:54:30 PM
It's a thumb hole but with a pronounced check rest made for right handed shooters only and a thumb hole angled for righties only as well.  A stupid design if you ask me.  I am lefty and it's impossible for left handed use

Sounds like it's the same 870 Super Mag SP-T that I have. If so, those guns were sold in the '05-'07 Remington model years. 23" barrel, MO Obsession camo. The thing is an absolute tank. I'm a right handed shooter so the cheek rest is no issue. I've had it four years and it's been flawless. I got it used with a pretty cheap red dot already on it which has worked fine. I've enjoyed the gun.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Okay now that I am up to speed. Not sure why Remington thought it was a good idea to produce a righthand thumb hole version.  Even as a righthand shooter I've had to switch to southpaw from time to time to kill a Gobbler that came in on my off side. Solid gun, I wouldn't think twice about it.  Put a knox stock on it and resale the thumb hole stock. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Thanks for the help everyone...I may just grab it and put a Knox on it and drill and tap it.  I agree hillbilly, I have taken many off shoulder shots myself and that stock is just plain poorly thought out.

Now to justify buying it since I already own too many turkey guns as it is 8)

Turkeytider

Quote from: CrustyRusty on January 21, 2021, 07:56:39 AM
Thanks for the help everyone...I may just grab it and put a Knox on it and drill and tap it.  I agree hillbilly, I have taken many off shoulder shots myself and that stock is just plain poorly thought out.

Now to justify buying it since I already own too many turkey guns as it is 8)

While as I said I like mine, I`ll agree that it is a bizarre stock and I don`t know how you`d shoot it off of the left shoulder. It`s definitely one of the more oddly designed of the seemingly endless iterations of the 870.

Jester87

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 20, 2021, 09:43:38 PM

Sounds like it's the same 870 Super Mag SP-T that I have. If so, those guns were sold in the '05-'07 Remington model years. 23" barrel, MO Obsession camo. The thing is an absolute tank. I'm a right handed shooter so the cheek rest is no issue. I've had it four years and it's been flawless. I got it used with a pretty cheap red dot already on it which has worked fine. I've enjoyed the gun.

SP-T has been flawless for me the last 10 yrs. My dedicated turkey gun but have used for upland with a barrel switch until my Wingmaster came along. Found thumbhole stock weird and heavy, switched out to a synthetic. Added a Williams fiber optic ghost sight. Loves the old Primos Jellyhead choke. No issues, versatile and reliable like any 870. Liked so much, purchased a 2nd for the other half but it has an adjustable camo Blackhawk knoxx stock on it.

Tom007

Quote from: Jester87 on January 26, 2021, 02:36:28 PM

SP-T has been flawless for me the last 10 yrs. My dedicated turkey gun but have used for upland with a barrel switch until my Wingmaster came along. Found thumbhole stock weird and heavy, switched out to a synthetic. Added a Williams fiber optic ghost sight. Loves the old Primos Jellyhead choke. No issues, versatile and reliable like any 870. Liked so much, purchased a 2nd for the other half but it has an adjustable camo Blackhawk knoxx stock on it.

Nice looking set up....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

Yep, I can confirm that the original Jellyhead seems tailor made for that gun. Mine came with one and I had absolutely no reason to change it out.

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 26, 2021, 05:53:08 PM

Yep, I can confirm that the original Jellyhead seems tailor made for that gun. Mine came with one and I had absolutely no reason to change it out.

The proof is on the tailgate :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

Not saying there`s not other good guns, because there certainly are, but somewhere along the line everybody should have an 870. If nothing else.... it`s an American thing to do. JMHO, of course.

CrustyRusty

I've got several 870's, just not a super mag lol