OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Couple of new Strikers

Started by Sir-diealot, January 14, 2021, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I got in a couple of new strikers this week, first is a 2 piece snakewood peg and Persimmon head with snakewood rings from Clay Townsend and the other a 1 piece Cocobolo striker from Jeff Harrison (JLH Strikers) Both are very pretty strikers and sound good on a variety of calls. Thanks to Gregg Massy for suggesting Clays strikers to me some time ago, just like the Lonnie Sneed call he suggested me I like this striker quite a bit.
As always Jeff's strikers are very good as well.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Nice looking strikers , Clay in my opinion makes some of the best alone with his pot calls and trumpets. Clay striker tips are awesome.

RiverBuck

Tom007

Awesome Steve, wow. Good luck with them...
"Solo hunter"

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 14, 2021, 11:12:01 PM
I got in a couple of new strikers this week, first is a 2 piece snakewood with rings from Clay Townsend and the other a 1 piece Cocobolo striker from Jeff Harrison (JLH Strikers) Both are very pretty strikers and sound good on a variety of calls. Thanks to Gregg Massy for suggesting Clays strikers to me some time ago, just like the Lonnie Sneed call he suggested me I like this striker quite a bit.

Maybe there is, but I`m not sure that there`s anything that snakewood doesn`t play well on. If that were to be true, it`s probably not a coincidence that it`s hard as a rock.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2021, 01:20:58 AM
Nice looking strikers , Clay in my opinion makes some of the best alone with his pot calls and trumpets. Clay striker tips are awesome.
I normally only buy single piece strikers but you suggested his strikers so strongly to myself and others that I thought I would give it a try. Please very nice.

Quote from: RiverBuck on January 15, 2021, 06:54:43 AM
Nice!
Thank you.

Quote from: Tom007 on January 15, 2021, 07:18:03 AM
Thank you and thank you :D

Quote from: Muzzy61 on January 15, 2021, 08:42:07 AM
Those are sweet looking.

Both makers turn out excellent sounding and looking products.

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 15, 2021, 08:46:04 AM
I got in a couple of new strikers this week, first is a 2 piece snakewood with rings from Clay Townsend and the other a 1 piece Cocobolo striker from Jeff Harrison (JLH Strikers) Both are very pretty strikers and sound good on a variety of calls. Thanks to Gregg Massy for suggesting Clays strikers to me some time ago, just like the Lonnie Sneed call he suggested me I like this striker quite a bit.

Maybe there is, but I`m not sure that there`s anything that snakewood doesn`t play well on. If that were to be true, it`s probably not a coincidence that it`s hard as a rock.

I have 2 others snakewood strikers but did not care for them mostly because they have straight heads and are not flared as this one is, One is very skinny and with my hand problems is hard/painful to use. I like the sound and comfort of this one much more.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 15, 2021, 10:28:03 AM
I normally only buy single piece strikers but you suggested his strikers so strongly to myself and others that I thought I would give it a try. Please very nice.

Nice!
Thank you.

Those are sweet looking.

I have 2 others snakewood strikers but did not care for them mostly because they have straight heads and are not flared as this one is, One is very skinny and with my hand problems is hard/painful to use. I like the sound and comfort of this one much more.

Understood. S-d. I have to admit that my opinion of snakewood based in large measure on the comments of others here on OG, along with my own experience with my two piece Fowler osage/snakewood. I don`t have a pot surface that the thing won`t sing on.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 15, 2021, 10:41:44 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 15, 2021, 10:28:03 AM

Nice!
Thank you.

Those are sweet looking.

Understood. S-d. I have to admit that my opinion of snakewood based in large measure on the comments of others here on OG, along with my own experience with my two piece Fowler osage/snakewood. I don`t have a pot surface that the thing won`t sing on.
Oh I know it is very well liked, I am just commenting on the 2 that I have, the tips are flat, no curve to them at all, that and the one being so thin is why I do not care for them. Reminds me of the flat heads you used to get with the Mad Calls with their rain strikers.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Makers and striker tip's makes a whole lot of difference in how a striker will play of any type of wood, weight of the striker and hardness plays a major part .. but if the feel of the shaft and tip aren't right for your playing , more than likely you want play that striker.. it takes both pot and striker to get the most out of a pot call in my opinion.

bbcoach

Beautiful Strikers SD from 2 quality striker makers.  Just wanted to say, I prefer and play heavy strikers the best.  If the striker is thin with very little weight, I can't get a quality sound.  My 2 cents.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2021, 11:12:43 AM
Makers and striker tip's makes a whole lot of difference in how a striker will play of any type of wood, weight of the striker and hardness plays a major part .. but if the feel of the shaft and tip aren't right for your playing , more than likely you want play that striker.. it takes both pot and striker to get the most out of a pot call in my opinion.
I can agree with that.

Quote from: bbcoach on January 15, 2021, 11:14:04 AM
Beautiful Strikers SD from 2 quality striker makers.  Just wanted to say, I prefer and play heavy strikers the best.  If the striker is thin with very little weight, I can't get a quality sound.  My 2 cents.
I think the problem for me is on my end, when I was 18 I was in the back seat of a car that hit a tree at 90 MPH I broke both wrists, broke one thumb and dislocated the other. Some thinner/smaller items are harder for me to use, using a teaspoon hurts my hands but I have no problem using a tablespoon, same goes for smaller forks. I did not even have teaspoons or smaller forks in my house until I got with my ex GF I always gave them all away. Never had a salt shaker in the house until her either, that is another story though.

John Koenig:

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 15, 2021, 11:55:54 AM
I can agree with that.

I think the problem for me is on my end, when I was 18 I was in the back seat of a car that hit a tree at 90 MPH I broke both wrists, broke one thumb and dislocated the other. Some thinner/smaller items are harder for me to use, using a teaspoon hurts my hands but I have no problem using a tablespoon, same goes for smaller forks. I did not even have teaspoons or smaller forks in my house until I got with my ex GF I always gave them all away. Never had a salt shaker in the house until her either, that is another story though.

Geeze S-d, if I might, glad you were in the back seat and not the front, my friend. Otherwise we would very likely not have the benefit of your enjoyable posts!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on January 15, 2021, 05:22:28 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 15, 2021, 11:55:54 AM
I can agree with that.

Geeze S-d, if I might, glad you were in the back seat and not the front, my friend. Otherwise we would very likely not have the benefit of your enjoyable posts!
The driver only broke his arm, girl next time him wrenched her back, girl next to her put her head through the windshield and got a scar on her neck and the guy next to me came out without a scratch. I also had a tib/fib fracture (Both bones in the lower leg) had to have a rod put in that leg which is why I can't kneel on that side, broke left ankle, tore up left knee pretty bad, still gives me lots of problems and to this day will pop out of the socket sometimes when I am just sitting around doing nothing. I had a collapsed left lung, liver contusion, had to have my spleen removed, got frostbite bad on my left foot, not so bad on other foot and hands, I should have been sitting next to me! lol to tell you the truth though I am grateful for the accident in a way, I am not sure I would have ever come to the Lord and gotten saved if not for that accident. A lot of the people I grew up with are either dead or in prison so I can't look at it as a complete negative.

John Koenig:

Loyalist84

Nice ones! That Cocobolo is an awesome striker, one of my favourites on coloured slates.