OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need a new pot/slate call

Started by the Ward, January 14, 2021, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Broke my old one! Need some recommendations for a new one. My old one was a slate, but am curious if copper or glass might be a good way to go. I like using a tube call, then finish with my slate or small box. I find the tube works well on windy days, and when i need the sound to carry further. But i really like the soft volume and purrs clucks  i can get on the small box and slate when i get the birds in close. Just not sure which direction to start looking! Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

slicksbeagles1

Where did the one you broke come from? If you had confidence in the call I would start there! There are many good call makers on here to choose from you can call them and talk to them and listen to there calls,

Greg Massey

Lot of builders specialize in different type of call surfaces, and building all types. I would first look at what sound i was wanting to achieve form the pot for the birds i was wanting to hunt. Lot of fine call builders with a variety of sounds, pitches and wood's ...Slate, glass, ceramic, aluminum, copper and the list goes on... List of few builders Clay Townsend, Larry Buster Halford, Brad Roberts, Nathan Taylor, Mark Cornelius, Kenneth Mullins and the list goes on. I would suggest deciding on a builder and talk with them on what surface your needing.. Also don't over look a 2 sider pot call , in a 2 sider you get a lot of turkeys. Good luck .. I'm sure other's can give you more builders and names...

Dtrkyman

I really like my Halloran, crystal mistress!  Tons of good ones out there though. Good strikers are important!

the Ward

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The pot call that broke was an off the shelf knight and hale slate that my wife got me for a gift over 10 years ago. Plastic pot so  i imagine not repairable. I have started browsing in our call section to see what is out there. I forgot about the sound files, good idea to hear the difference in calls. Can never have too many calls!

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on January 15, 2021, 07:58:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The pot call that broke was an off the shelf knight and hale slate that my wife got me for a gift over 10 years ago. Plastic pot so  i imagine not repairable. I have started browsing in our call section to see what is out there. I forgot about the sound files, good idea to hear the difference in calls. Can never have too many calls!

If you wan to replace your Knight & Hale slate, they are always on Ebay. That call probably meant a lot being a gift from your wife. Good luck...

ChesterCopperpot

Theres a really gorgeous Stuckey slate for sale right now in the classifieds. There's also a Gooserbat High Standard slate for $40. Both are great sounding calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Just one? Lol , kidding. If you like soft and smooth , grey slate is my pick. There are so many surfaces to try to pick from , each having their own sound as well as pros and cons. It would be extremely hard for me to only have one pot. I usually carry 3 different ones at a time in my vest with at least a half dozen strikers. Gives me a wide array of hens and you never know the one he wants at that time. Lots of good makers and pots to choose from. Pick one and go hunting. They will all kill birds. Good luck OP.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 15, 2021, 09:04:06 AM
Just one? Lol , kidding. If you like soft and smooth , grey slate is my pick. There are so many surfaces to try to pick from , each having their own sound as well as pros and cons. It would be extremely hard for me to only have one pot. I usually carry 3 different ones at a time in my vest with at least a half dozen strikers. Gives me a wide array of hens and you never know the one he wants at that time. Lots of good makers and pots to choose from. Pick one and go hunting. They will all kill birds. Good luck OP.
Paul has a couple calls up in the classifieds right now too, including a gorgeous glass over glass in a walnut pot (I want it but am broke ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

Thanks for the great info fellas! I'm going to browse the classified section here, if i am getting a new call i want to buy one from a maker that's a member here. Spitten and Drumming, yes i like the softer tones with the slate, now that i think about it, so that will help narrow it down. You are right on about having a variety of calls, birds will go crazy with one sound but completely ignore another, seemingly similar sound. It's a fun, sometimes frustrating game, and i wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks to all again!

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on January 15, 2021, 07:58:11 AM

There is a brand new Knight &Hale Slate in a plastic pot that just came up on Ebay if you are interested. Best of luck...