OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mexico Goulds Hunt Raffle

Started by GobbleNut, December 28, 2020, 12:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Tickets are now available for the spring 2021 Goulds turkey hunt raffle in NM.  This is a premier hunt opportunity set up by the NM Department of Game and Fish as a fundraising mechanism for Goulds turkey management in New Mexico. For ticket purchases and information on this hunt, go to nmnwtf.org.  If anybody needs more information about this hunt beyond what is available on the site, let me know.  I can fill you in with more details.

gobblerchsr

Thanks for the reminder GobbleNut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

I've already bought mine and am talking this up to my buddies. Are there an unlimited number of raffle tickets being sold this year? Man, that would be awesome to draw that hunt.

GobbleNut

Quote from: PalmettoRon on December 28, 2020, 03:58:02 PM
I've already bought mine and am talking this up to my buddies. Are there an unlimited number of raffle tickets being sold this year? Man, that would be awesome to draw that hunt.

Yes, the ticket numbers are unlimited this year in an effort to maximize the fundraising potential for this hunt.  In the past, too many folks were being left out of having the chance to get into the raffle. It hurts our odds, but the goal is to eventually have more Goulds turkey hunting here by improving and expanding our habitat and turkey numbers.  We'll see....

Good luck to all who buy tickets!  I would really like to see someone on OG win the raffle!

eggshell

Ok, so when I win this are you guiding me, Gobblenut?

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on December 28, 2020, 05:20:16 PM
Ok, so when I win this are you guiding me, Gobblenut?

Darn tootin', eggshell!  You really wouldn't need a guide on this hunt, but I will be willing to keep you company whilst you call 'em in and shoot ya' one.  ...Might even make a movie about it for ya'!

PalmettoRon

Thanks GobbleNut! I've been participating in the raffle for the NM hunt for several years and also the AZ Big Game Super Raffle which offers a Goulds hunt too. The money goes to a good cause and who knows, maybe I get drawn one day. I am decreasing my odds by encouraging others to apply, but I too would like to see an OG member win either or both hunts and post about it here late this Spring!

Gooserbat

I guess they're going to get some of the wife's moldy money
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I have had a couple of individual requests for information on this hunt, so rather than address those questions individually, I think I will give a few more details about this hunt and what to expect if you were to win it.  Again, the website for buying tickets is nmnwtf.org.

The Goulds population in New Mexico is confined to the very southwestern corner of the state in what is known as the bootheel.  Most of the turkeys on public land live within the Coronado National Forest.  There are two permits allotted each year for this hunt.  One is through this raffle and the other is auctioned off during the NWTF national convention. 

The public land areas that are open for this hunt are relatively easy to get around in and the turkeys are very accessible.  In my opinion, the lucky winners of these hunts are almost certain to have the opportunity to shoot a mature Goulds gobbler over the hunt period that runs from April 15th to May 10th. In addition to the Goulds permit, the winning hunter in the raffle also gets two "general season" permits to take Merriam's or Rio Grande gobblers in other areas of the state. 

The hunt area is remote and is approximately 75 miles or so from the nearest significant town that would have services like motels and restaurants.  The winning hunter would most likely need to plan on camping in the hunt area.  For those that would be planning on trying to fly-in for this hunt, the closest major airport is in El Paso (TX) and the hunt area is roughly four hours drive west of there.

This hunt is definitely doable as a "do it yourself" hunting trip, but there are at least a couple of outfitters/guides that are available in the area that have helped hunters in the past.  Personally, I believe any relatively experienced turkey hunter could kill a gobbler without the use of an outfitter or guide, and could probably kill a bird within a few days of hunting. 

If anybody on this site was to win this hunt, rest assured that I can provide most all of the information needed for you to come here and have a successful hunt.  Granted, the odds of winning aren't great, but someone will be the lucky winner,...and it might be one of you!

deerhunt1988

Glad to see they finally went to online purchasing. In the past you'd have to mail a check. Which meant decent odds!

GobbleNut

Keeping this where folks that might be interested will see it...........    :newmascot:

Tail Feathers

I think it was the first year they allowed any hunting of them, the NWTF raffled off a chance and sold a chance at auction.  The auction bid was like $50K.
A local guy I know won the raffle hunt.  He hunted with some pro staffers from HS Strut who filmed it all.  They told him they were staying however long it took, and to make sure he could do that.
He got his Goulds, I think it took about five days.  That was quite a while back.  He still smiles when he talks about it.
Good luck to all who enter!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Back to the top for those interested....   :turkey2:

eggshell

GobbleNut

Moving this up again for those new arrivals to the site....