turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Skinning knee to knee

Started by turkey_slayer, May 19, 2011, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

I've got a bird in the freezer from 2008 that I need to do something with.  I've been wanting to try to mount one myself and figured this would be a good specimen to try.  Hes a good one but not my best with 1 3/8 hooks.  I figure the worst thing that could happen is I screw it up to bad and end up taking off the spurs and beard like I usually do.  Seems like there was a step by step on here showing the procedure before the crash.  Any one point me in the right direction and what videos would you recommend?  Thanks!

GobbleNut

Most of the major taxidermy supply houses have videos that show you in detail how to mount birds (and just about everything else, as well).  It is well worth the money to buy or rent one of those.  Before you start, you need to gather up a considerable amount of tools and components.  A good video will explain all of that to you, and also lead you through the entire mounting process.

turkey_slayer

Thanks Gobblenut!  I've been reading on taxidermy.net for the past 2 years and actually found a tutorial on there showing the knee to knee skinning.  I guess I'm just going to get 2 or 3 videos since everyone has a little different technique and give it a whirl.  It might turn out decent but never know till I try!

GobbleNut

Good luck with it, turkey_slayer.  Once you get all the stuff you need and get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun to mount your own birds.  One key thing is to use the freeze-dried heads on your mounts. They cost more, but they make all the difference in the world on how good a mount looks.