OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake wood striker

Started by dah, December 03, 2020, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dah

Would a snakewood striker that lacked the marking or figure of snakewood carry the same characteristics of snakewood with the markings when played on the surface of a pot call ? I am wondering if a striker or even a pot with out the markings of its kind of wood would be equal to a striker or pot of same wood that bears the marking of its type of wood. I know not all strikers are equal , I have examples of same wood strikers playing different , but wondering if the marking of that type make a difference in the sound or quality of the striker / pot. Would the markings of the wood have a bearing choosing a call or would markings be more for beauty , not necessarily mean the striker / pot would sound better . Thanks .

davisd9

Sound would be the same figure or no figure.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom007

The call makers and striker kings on this forum should give you additional info on this. They are very talented and knowledgeable with all this. Good luck......

Greg Massey

In my opinion the sound is going to be different .. between the heart of the wood and the sap wood of the same type wood makes a difference in how the striker , pot or even a box will play ...

aclawrence

I agree with Greg. If it's all from heart wood and figured vs. non figured that would just be yo to that individual piece of wood. All wood is going to be different.  Could you tell a difference, who knows lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

You can have a two blanks from the same tree and there could be differences in sound, but that is getting picky on it. There is a general snakewood sound from calls, boxes, strikers, pots, etc, and the figure of the wood has nothing to do with it. Figure is cosmetic.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on December 04, 2020, 08:56:36 AM
You can have a two blanks from the same tree and there could be differences in sound, but that is getting picky on it. There is a general snakewood sound from calls, boxes, strikers, pots, etc, and the figure of the wood has nothing to do with it. Figure is cosmetic.
Agree , sap wood and heart of the wood are different .. all will make a difference in the sound and pitch..

Turkeytider

Quote from: dah on December 03, 2020, 10:49:54 PM
  Would a snakewood striker that lacked the marking or figure of snakewood carry the same characteristics of snakewood with the markings when played on the surface of a pot call ? I am wondering if a striker or even a pot with out the markings of its kind of wood would be equal to a striker or pot of same wood that bears the marking of its type of wood. I know not all strikers are equal , I have examples of same wood strikers playing different , but wondering if the marking of that type make a difference in the sound or quality of the striker / pot. Would the markings of the wood have a bearing choosing a call or would markings be more for beauty , not necessarily mean the striker / pot would sound better . Thanks .

Can`t ever recall seeing a striker labeled as " Snakewood " totally devoid of figure. Not saying they don`t exist, however.

310 gauge

Turkeytider I agree. I have some that will knock your eyes out with figure and then some that you have to have outside in the light to be able to pick out any design. The difference of course is looks and the price you'll most likely pay for that difference. Sound is what matters most to me and with my hearing lately I can't pick up on it like I used to.

Turkeytider

Quote from: 310 gauge on December 04, 2020, 01:14:09 PM
Turkeytider I agree. I have some that will knock your eyes out with figure and then some that you have to have outside in the light to be able to pick out any design. The difference of course is looks and the price you'll most likely pay for that difference. Sound is what matters most to me and with my hearing lately I can't pick up on it like I used to.

Overall, the best striker that I own is a beautiful snakewood with an osage orange top from Harold Fowler. That thing will make any call I have, sing.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkeytider on December 04, 2020, 02:44:09 PM
Quote from: 310 gauge on December 04, 2020, 01:14:09 PM

Overall, the best striker that I own is a beautiful snakewood with an osage orange top from Harold Fowler. That thing will make any call I have, sing.
I have that same striker and it's a good one and Clay Townsend makes a persimmon top snakewood that's awesome...

dah

Much obliged , I sure do thank you all for your responses , I learned a lot . I have working calls and calls on the shelf . I think from this chain , if I am looking for working calls/ strikers , figure wont come into play as much as for the shelf . I readily admit figure is a bonus and I probably wont ever totally discount it . I think that color might play a role if you are familiar with the type of wood . I acknowledge not all wood is the same , but the heart wood generally is darker . If you have a lighter looking wood , one might wonder if it was cut closer to the sap wood . Just thinking . Thanks .

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 04, 2020, 11:03:16 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on December 04, 2020, 08:56:36 AM
Agree , sap wood and heart of the wood are different .. all will make a difference in the sound and pitch..
This conclusion put together is spot on. While the figure itself is cosmetic, it may be an indicator on where it came from the tree and could reflect sound quality, but isn't an end all, be all. Until it's put to a call you won't know if it's what you're looking for.

The tighter grained heartwood, typically more figured, will be a little raspier in my personal experience. Striker balance is equally as important as the grain structure otherwise it'll still be a polished turd.

Sir-diealot

Thanks to the OP for asking, very educational thread.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."