OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 3 inch Heavy 13 #5  (Read 8459 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: 3 inch Heavy 13 #5
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »
All great info. I will try the 5’s in my new Indian Creek .665 in my 870. Do you guys think the Heavy 13 6’s, and 7’s are as good as the Apex TSS?  Would love the feedback. I know it’s cheaper than Apex...

I`ve never shot a TSS load in my life, but then again I`ve only shot 12 gauge guns. No question that TSS has revolutionized sub -gauge guns for turkey hunting. If I were switching to 20 gauge, no question I`d shoot TSS loads. It`s not hard to find folks who believe that in a 12 that TSS costs are not offset by what you gain. I`ve never felt disadvantaged shooting Hevi-13 loads, but I don`t take shots out beyond 35-40 yards. If I can`t get him inside 40, he wins the match. I want to be sure he doesn`t know what`s hit him. I owe him that.

Great info. Yes, 40 is my absolute Max. When I have a gobbler answer, I range a tree in his general direction. If he passes it, and keeps coming, he’s under 40. Works every time. Where do you get your Heavy 13? Thx...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
All great info. I will try the 5’s in my new Indian Creek .665 in my 870. Do you guys think the Heavy 13 6’s, and 7’s are as good as the Apex TSS?  Would love the feedback. I know it’s cheaper than Apex...

I`ve never shot a TSS load in my life, but then again I`ve only shot 12 gauge guns. No question that TSS has revolutionized sub -gauge guns for turkey hunting. If I were switching to 20 gauge, no question I`d shoot TSS loads. It`s not hard to find folks who believe that in a 12 that TSS costs are not offset by what you gain. I`ve never felt disadvantaged shooting Hevi-13 loads, but I don`t take shots out beyond 35-40 yards. If I can`t get him inside 40, he wins the match. I want to be sure he doesn`t know what`s hit him. I owe him that.

Great info. Yes, 40 is my absolute Max. When I have a gobbler answer, I range a tree in his general direction. If he passes it, and keeps coming, he’s under 40. Works every time. Where do you get your Heavy 13? Thx...

Up until last year, I had ordered some online. I honestly can`t remember from where, but not to worry, when it get`s closer, sites like Midway and others will list it. Also, box stores like Bass Pro will carry it. Last year, a guy wanted to sell 4 boxes of the 6`s for like $40. That stuff is like $20/box or so normally. I couldn`t pass that up. I`ll give 2 boxes to my buddy. Since it`s such low volume shooting, unless something strange happens, between the Hevi-13 I have now and some Long Beard XR that I have, I shouldn`t have to buy anymore turkey loads.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 05:29:36 PM »
I have shot a few birds with the hevishot 3.5" #5's and #6's at ranges of 20-40 yards give or take a few. This year i was given a box of 3.5" #9 federal tss by a coworker who claimed it would make me never shoot anything else. I shot one at 22 yards this year with it and the results were the same as the hevi-shot and #5 longbeards I have used. The only difference i have seen is price and I am staying with the longbeards and hevi-shot shells I already have.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »
Great info, thx guys.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »
A buddy of mine shoots this exact load, gun and choke.  It patterns well out to 40 but it will run out of pattern density at 50.  Since you have stated 40 is the max, you will be fine even if you misjudge the yardage by a few yards.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
A buddy of mine shoots this exact load, gun and choke.  It patterns well out to 40 but it will run out of pattern density at 50.  Since you have stated 40 is the max, you will be fine even if you misjudge the yardage by a few yards.

Wow, great news. Will post results. I will also get some Apex 2 1/4 oz #7.5 shot , 3 inch. That load interests me, want to see how it patterns too. I would try smaller TSS, but NJ only allows no smaller than 7.5 shot. Be safe, be well.
“Solo hunter”

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
My personnel opinion on TSS in a 12 gauge is WAYYYYYY overkill.  TSS does a GREAT job for 20's and .410's to up the pellet count and make them legitimate 40 yard guns.  If you are planning on staying inside 40 then pass on the TSS.  I would find some Hevi 6's or 7's or Longbeard 6's and give them a try before I went the TSS route.  I shoot an 835 with a .670 Pure Gold choke with Hevi 7's and they are devastating.  My 2 cents.   

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 07:05:29 AM »
My personnel opinion on TSS in a 12 gauge is WAYYYYYY overkill.  TSS does a GREAT job for 20's and .410's to up the pellet count and make them legitimate 40 yard guns.  If you are planning on staying inside 40 then pass on the TSS.  I would find some Hevi 6's or 7's or Longbeard 6's and give them a try before I went the TSS route.  I shoot an 835 with a .670 Pure Gold choke with Hevi 7's and they are devastating.  My 2 cents.   

Good advice, could save some coin too. Will get the heavy 6, and 7. They should shoot lights out with my Indian Creek .665 out of my bottomland 870.....thx again for great info....
“Solo hunter”

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »

Good advice, could save some coin too. Will get the heavy 6, and 7. They should shoot lights out with my Indian Creek .665 out of my bottomland 870.....thx again for great info....
You won't be disappointed with the Hevi 6's or 7's or the Longbeard 6's with that .675 Indian Creek.  IMO, probably one of the best chokes for the 870.  Coin wise, LB's are about $1.50 to $2 per shell to shoot, Hevi around $4 to $5 and TSS $8 to $10.  All will do the job very effectively.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 09:00:18 AM »
Tom, I`m sure you probably know this, but you can get into money if you pattern check with just your turkey loads. Use some #6 field loads to give you an idea of where your hitting, sight in with them, and then confirm with a round or two with your turkey loads. That`s worked for me,

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
Tom, I`m sure you probably know this, but you can get into money if you pattern check with just your turkey loads. Use some #6 field loads to give you an idea of where your hitting, sight in with them, and then confirm with a round or two with your turkey loads. That`s worked for me,
Turkeyrider is spot on with the field loads or you can use dove loads as well.  Make sure your POA/POI is spot on at 12 to 15 yards before you even experiment with your turkey loads.  If your POA/POI is off get a set of Williams sights or opt for a scope or red dot and correct the POA/POI first then do some experimenting.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 12:47:12 PM »
Turkeyrider is spot on with the field loads or you can use dove loads as well.  Make sure your POA/POI is spot on at 12 to 15 yards before you even experiment with your turkey loads.  If your POA/POI is off get a set of Williams sights or opt for a scope or red dot and correct the POA/POI first then do some experimenting.

Hardly unusual for POA/POI not to line up. I became an optics convert via turkey hunting!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »

You are 100% correct. To take it a step farther, I bought a Sight Lite Laser bore sighter.  It has saved me a ton of money on shells. When I bore sight a turkey gun, I seldom if at all have to move the adjustments. Then I use a light load. It is usually dead on. I put the gun in a dead sled, level the gun and weather it’s a scope or red dot, I dial that laser in. Works fantastic. Thank you for your input on this, I learn a lot on this forum.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »

You won't be disappointed with the Hevi 6's or 7's or the Longbeard 6's with that .675 Indian Creek.  IMO, probably one of the best chokes for the 870.  Coin wise, LB's are about $1.50 to $2 per shell to shoot, Hevi around $4 to $5 and TSS $8 to $10.  All will do the job very effectively.

Thanks my friend.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »

You guys are spot on. I like the red dot, but my scoped turkey guns are my favorite. Nothing like that crosshair on that waddle, he’s toast. When I was young, the double bead worked with my young eyes. Once I went to optics, there’s no going back. Love them.....be safe...

Hardly unusual for POA/POI not to line up. I became an optics convert via turkey hunting!
“Solo hunter”