OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Colorado  (Read 2174 times)

Offline flockbuster

Colorado
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
Got a ton of help thru PM last year on a couple of out of state hunts that the rona cancelled. Hoping some of you may be as generous with some information on Colorado. Me and a buddy are heading to Nebraska and Kansas in early May 2021. If everything goes great we may give Colorado a shot as well.  Any advice, pointers etc would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
Hope you have received some positive information on hunting Colorado.  From a personal perspective, I have hunted southwestern CO for the last three years and will say that it is the most difficult place to spring gobbler hunt that I have ever been to.  I live a days drive away from there so I don't get to do any scouting or have any insider information, so I have basically gone there "blind" each year. 

After three springs hunting there, my conclusion is that the habitat looks like there should be turkeys everywhere,...but there are very few of them and they are far between.  Furthermore, access is very limited due to both private land holdings, limited open forest roads for access, and large roadless areas.  Yes, there are some Merriams turkeys there, but disappointingly few considering the habitat that looks ideal for them. 

Bottom line is that I would not choose southwestern CO as my first destination for your Colorado hunting adventure.  There are bound to be better places in the state to spring gobbler hunt. 

Offline flockbuster

Re: Colorado
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 06:53:40 AM »
Thank you. We are seriously considering making oklahoma our third option as I have a bunch of good Intel on there. Your post has me leaning even more so towards oklahoma. Either is new to me so I'm good with either. Again, thank you