OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Ammo Availability

Started by greencop01, November 22, 2020, 11:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

I've been looking around here in Massachusetts and can't find Long Beard 6's, Federal 3rd Degree and Heavy shot loads in 7's or 9's. Wondering if it's the same your neck of the woods. Also same for Bass Pro and Cabela's. They say out of stock. Hoarding goin on I guess.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

WAGinVA

Since I started handloading TSS I have paid no attention to commercial shell availability.  When I was shooting the Federal HTL 20 gauge loads they were only available seasonally,  that is more likely the issue than hoarding this time of year.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WAGinVA on November 22, 2020, 11:43:00 AM
Since I started handloading TSS I have paid no attention to commercial shell availability.  When I was shooting the Federal HTL 20 gauge loads they were only available seasonally,  that is more likely the issue than hoarding this time of year.
My thoughts exactly

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wchadw

X2. But it is hard to find hulls and powder right now. Bought up last of powder I been using a local store.
I have enough supplies minus TSS to load 200 shells. I asked Hal about tss shot availability and he said shouldn't be a problem. I really enjoy loading.
Damn near impossible to find ammo anywhere and online store if they have it will not ship to my state anymore "due to availability "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Most turkey hunters will always have a good supply of turkey ammo....

rakkin6

I am stocked up, always buy a bunch at the end of the season when it is cheaper. Probably have 20 boxes of #5 and 10 boxes of #6. Wish I would have done the same with .y Federal Trophy Copper and Winchester Partition Gold sabot slugs though.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

Quote from: wchadw on November 22, 2020, 11:48:10 AM
X2. But it is hard to find hulls and powder right now. Bought up last of powder I been using a local store.
I have enough supplies minus TSS to load 200 shells. I asked Hal about tss shot availability and he said shouldn't be a problem. I really enjoy loading.
Damn near impossible to find ammo anywhere and online store if they have it will not ship to my state anymore "due to availability "

Those shells look good, nice job reloading......

mmorgan9812

A Turkey Hunter is never without a ammo hoard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on November 22, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

This is the 2nd thread this kind of comment has come up on and frankly I don't get why it's always stated this way.

Must not be the intent, but it comes across as saying "you're not a true turkey hunter if you're asking this question."

People get into turkey hunting for the first time, and they don't have stockpiles.
Or they've hunted a few seasons but still might not have found the load that patterns best out of their gun/choke (or they might soon change that combo, because they've saved up to upgrade). Either way, they're not ready to commit to buying a case, and still want to try a few different loads.

mmorgan9812

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on November 23, 2020, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: mmorgan9812 on November 22, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

This is the 2nd thread this kind of comment has come up on and frankly I don't get why it's always stated this way.

Must not be the intent, but it comes across as saying "you're not a true turkey hunter if you're asking this question."

People get into turkey hunting for the first time, and they don't have stockpiles.
Or they've hunted a few seasons but still might not have found the load that patterns best out of their gun/choke (or they might soon change that combo, because they've saved up to upgrade). Either way, they're not ready to commit to buying a case, and still want to try a few different loads.

Sorry didn't mean it that way. I totally see it now. My apologies.

rakkin6

Glad I was an ammo hoarder before all this nonsense started. Not just turkey ammo but all ammo.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: rakkin6 on November 24, 2020, 03:45:20 AM
Glad I was an ammo hoarder before all this nonsense started. Not just turkey ammo but all ammo.

No doubt! With the exception of this February onward, the past 3 years were unbeatable for buying guns and ammo.

At least steel shot seems to be in relatively low demand. Just have to find a place that bothers stocking it at all (Wally World is incredibly unreliable from location to location where I am—only one store keeps any). But Academy is generally diligent about having some.

joey46

I get almost daily offers from Apex on their TSS etc.  I have plenty so I'm good.

2eagles

I ordered my favorite turkey load early this morning from Midway. At 8:32 I received an email telling me my order has been shipped. I'm sure that means that a shipping label has been created and will be picked up later today, but WOW! That's fast and the prices were better than BPS. Oh, and free shipping over $50. I win!

Which Gun

Never wait. Buy it when you see it. I buy when I see it on sale or when I find what I really need.