turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

To Close for Comfort

Started by tomstopper, October 09, 2020, 01:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

This snake is a little too close to the house for me. We have had cottonmouths and copperheads in our neighborhood before but this was the first time one of these bad boys has ventured out. 5:30 pm and kids all around. Thank God that a neighbor spotted this and not one of the neighbors kids on accident. Our house is the third one on the right behind the arrow where it was spotted.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

Nice one.   Luckily they're not an aggressive snake, but people still get bit.   In the Wild I let hem be.  In my yard they are eliminated one way or another. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

That would make a nice backing for my recurve.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Happy

Nice one. Long as they stay out of my yard I leave them be. Course its getting pretty chilly up here already so they have pretty much disappeared for the year. Worked a job up near the New York/ PA line years ago and they were everywhere. We had to call a snake wrangler every time one wandered onto our worksite so they could "relocate" it about 200 yards away. Our wrangler was scared of them so more than once I was in the brush trying to find it when it was evading arrest. I think they got pretty tired of crawling back just to get moved away again. On the bright side they bragged about handling over 500 rattlers in 3 months. Or twenty rattlers 25 times each. That seemed more logical to me but I am not a biologist so

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

310 gauge

Waiting to see if the Board is as divided as the Country on the fate of an encounter with a venomous snake....Timber or Canebrake....live or let die.... 

tomstopper

Thanks guys. When I lived in Corning NY, there were known locations that had dens so you just had to be cautious if in those areas (rest area in Painted Post, Tanglewood, and Gibson were some hot spots). Seems like here in the south, they are everywhere probably mostly due to the fact that because of the climate, there are many more types of venomous snakes. Copperheads and cottonmouths die if I see them on my property or in an area that I hunt frequently. To be honest I have always admired rattlesnakes since I was a kid (a park ranger came to our school when I was a kid with a very large one and had it's head secured and let us come touch the body and it was rattling like crazy. I was amazed at how strong it was). It was just strange to see one that big near our house/community where people are always running, walking, riding bikes, walking to the pool or park. He got a free pass and hopefully was just passing through

tomstopper

Quote from: 310 gauge on October 09, 2020, 01:40:16 PM
Waiting to see if the Board is as divided as the Country on the fate of an encounter with a venomous snake....Timber or Canebrake....live or let die....
Live if not near an area that I frequent. If it's just once in a while by the house, I let them live unless they start showing up in abundance

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on October 09, 2020, 08:17:44 AM
Nice one.   Luckily they're not an aggressive snake, but people still get bit.   In the Wild I let hem be.  In my yard they are eliminated one way or another.
I believe out of all the 3 most common venomous snakes, they are the most docile. Now if you try to pick them up or corner them, you could have a bad day for sure. I totally understand the yard area. Apparently my neighbors had a quick little meeting amongst each other and decided to let this one live and venture into the woods. He got lucky because I know a lot of people who would have ran him over when he was in the road.

Southerngobbler

They're usually territorial so you probably haven't seen the last of him. I gave a pass to a pigmy rattler about a 1/2 mile behind my house near a trail and later in the summer me and my German Shepard were on that trail again and he got bit in the exact same spot on the trail. It taught me a $1500 lesson. It was touch and go for the dog for about 4 days but he finally pulled through. I still don't kill them all but if its somewhere me and the dog spend time I git rid of em.

Tom007

Hope I never cross paths with any of them guys....... :turkey2:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on October 09, 2020, 02:06:23 PM
Thanks guys. When I lived in Corning NY, there were known locations that had dens so you just had to be cautious if in those areas (rest area in Painted Post, Tanglewood, and Gibson were some hot spots). Seems like here in the south, they are everywhere probably mostly due to the fact that because of the climate, there are many more types of venomous snakes. Copperheads and cottonmouths die if I see them on my property or in an area that I hunt frequently. To be honest I have always admired rattlesnakes since I was a kid (a park ranger came to our school when I was a kid with a very large one and had it's head secured and let us come touch the body and it was rattling like crazy. I was amazed at how strong it was). It was just strange to see one that big near our house/community where people are always running, walking, riding bikes, walking to the pool or park. He got a free pass and hopefully was just passing through

Yea they have warning signs up and have put wooden fencing on both sides of the cyclone fence to try to keep them contained against the hill in one or two of those areas.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

tomstopper

There used to be photos on the internet of about 6 or 7 of them laying on the pavement in the rest area at one time before they put that fencing up

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on October 09, 2020, 06:02:03 PM
There used to be photos on the internet of about 6 or 7 of them laying on the pavement in the rest area at one time before they put that fencing up

On I believe it is or once was 17 is the one or maybe two with that fencing going towards Dansville I think. Could have been the other way too, I remember going by it on the way to Forest City, PA which is going towards Scranton/Carbondale area.

John Koenig:

3bailey3

they get a pass from me unless they strike,