turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

favorite striker wood

Started by panhandlehunter, May 18, 2011, 07:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panhandlehunter

I don't have a lot of strikers and wanted to get some suggestions of wood preferences for strikers.  So...what is your favorite wood for a striker?  and why?  and if you suggest ivory, corian, etc. for tips.

savduck

I like hickory on slate, glass, and aluminum. Aptung, Mascar Ebony, and walnut on crystal. I like cherry on slate to. Purple heart will grab aluminum fairly well.

I have a striker from Harolds custom strikers with corian on walnut that runs pretty sweet on crystal. I also have mammoth, walrus tusk, and whale bone. They all sound ok, but are more for show.

I prefer a straight tip striker over flared
Georgia Boy

Cut*N*Run

padauk sounds great and plays well on all surfaces

Beretta686

I love purple heart, use it most of the time. Makes a high pitch call

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Roost Wrecker

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on May 18, 2011, 08:43:08 PM
padauk sounds great and plays well on all surfaces
x2
Also Osage, Zebra and Purpleheart. Always in my vest!

MarkJM

I love turning maple, poplar, and apple. apple by far my favorite. it turns beautifully and just shaves right off. it is a VERY tight grain and I would recommend it for anybody,
MuellerCustomCalls

West Augusta

Black Locust for everything.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: West Augusta on May 19, 2011, 10:06:13 AM
Black Locust for everything.

Shhh!  You're letting out a classified piece of information.    ;D

Depends on the individual call...
My copper calls love cedar for soft sounds, but get down right nasty with an osage striker.
My slates sound great with the likes of osage, black locust, maple, pecan, bubinga, canarywood, persimmon...
On glass, I like maple, mahogany, bubinga, canarywood...
Anodized aluminum - DYMONDWOOD!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

KryptoniteKills

AAAAHHHH so many good woods but I like Apple, Osage, Musclewood and Maple...in that order. Those sound good or better on lots of surfaces.

cleanslate

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 19, 2011, 10:11:11 AM
Shhh!  You're letting out a classified piece of information.    ;D
Well now that the secret's out I guess I really do have to get that piece of black locust from my pap's that I've been meaning to get. I really like walnut if the grain is tight, purpleheart and osage.

TarheelTurk

Laminated oak followed by a CLOSE second purpleheart, However i can see that im gonna have to cut up the HUGE locust tree that clobbered the stable on my grandads farm now b4 my uncle turns it into fence post or firewood.  :you_rock:
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

decoykrvr

I've made strikers out of 45+ different woods and usually carry at least 6 strikers made from different woods in my vest while hunting with another 6-8 in the vehicle.  The selection varies by the weather, the calls I'm carrying and sometimes if the birds aren't responding, I'll change out calls and strikers during the hunt if I get back to the vehicle.  I never go out without a Brazilian Cherry and the mystery wood ( I think it's Mascarey, Ryan Bonjour thinks it's Manzanita) in my vest.  If you haven't tried Brazilian Cherry you're missing the boat

neal

I like yellowheart but so did he and look where it got him!

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

doepee

I really like persimmon, canarywood, bubinga and my supreme ivory tipped cocobolo..... by the way what the heck is musclewood????

Roost Wrecker

I was curious about the brazillian cherry had never heard one but do have some scrap wood from a mill.