OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sound Board Pedestal Questions  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

Sound Board Pedestal Questions
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
What are ya’ll’s thoughts on sound board pedestals?  I’m sure there are different names for what I am talking about, so I want to be specific.  The contact point inside the pot call where the sound board is attached.

I have experimented with different diameters of pedestals (I call them half circle pedestals).  I have experimented with “railroad tracks” with strips of material glued in to the bottom of the pot.   I have experimented with different widths of glue surfaces. 
With all that being said, I have noticed a difference in the sound, but it doesn’t seem to be drastic.  I have often wondered if the change in sound came from the change in weight, and not the actual change in dimensions.

When I first started making calls, I often thought of the sound board incorrectly (I may still be wrong, who knows!!).  I have discussed this with many call makers and there seems to be a common denominator in everyone’s opinion being that it’s sole purpose is to “tune” the frequency of the call. 
A larger distance between the calling surface and sound board allows the frequency to “stretch out” and become a lower frequency.  A tighter distance forces the sound waves to become more compressed, which translates to a higher frequency.

The reason I brought all that up was to preface this statement...
If my thoughts are right on the sound boards purpose, how it is attached shouldn’t matter as long as it is able to translate that vibration efficiently and not induce any “new“ vibrations into the mix. 
The way I think about that statement is this...  If I am trying to get a sound to bounce off a wall, does it matter how stiff and rigid that wall is?  With the exception of the wall being too thin and flimsy, it should reflect the sound waves the same.

Do you guys think my reasoning is justified?
With all that being said, what does the surface area of the pedestals have to do with sound?
What does the “location” (railroad track location or OD/ID of the pedestals) have to do with sound?

I am aware that is a lot to read, but I have been chewing on these questions for a while and testing out different theories.  Sadly I do not have any real info to share, but I’m hoping someone will speak up with something that maybe I can substantiate with what I have seen. 

I look forward to hearing from some folks if anyone is willing to share what they have learned.
Thank you.
Josh McDowell

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Sound Board Pedestal Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 11:36:05 PM »
What are you trying too achieve
The thickness of the bottom , the sides, the lip of the sound boards , the placement of the pedestal , the thickness of
All play a roll to what you want too achieve
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:52:54 PM »
What are you trying too achieve
The thickness of the bottom , the sides, the lip of the sound boards , the placement of the pedestal , the thickness of
All play a roll to what you want too achieve

Good point.
I guess the question I am asking is this:
What do you think each change does to the sound?
(Example:  Larger pedestal diameters make the front end more clear and clean) or something like that.

Offline rodney gillikin

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 05:43:31 AM »
I think the pedestal helps in the way to set  the pitch and to help control the sound as it leaves the call a two sided effect. Depending on how the call is played. Some people think all calls are played the same way and that not true. Some are played beside the pedestal and some across. Remember beauty and sound is it the hand of the beholder/maker. A True Turkey hunter will work with anything to produce the sound that is needed and some think that they are gods gift but have no clue. Im sure your calls are great sounding and will kill birds. Great question. 
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
I think the pedestal helps in the way to set  the pitch and to help control the sound as it leaves the call a two sided effect. Depending on how the call is played. Some people think all calls are played the same way and that not true. Some are played beside the pedestal and some across. Remember beauty and sound is it the hand of the beholder/maker. A True Turkey hunter will work with anything to produce the sound that is needed and some think that they are gods gift but have no clue. Im sure your calls are great sounding and will kill birds. Great question.

I appreciate your contribution Rodney.
You bring up an interesting thought if I understand it correctly.
If the area being played is directly above the pedestal (with the sound board in between obviously), it will vibrate differently and in turn give you a different sound.   The same would hold true if the call was played over an “un supported” area.

This whole call making world would be much easier if there wasn’t so much subjectivity (like you said before).  I couldn’t agree more with your statement saying that it was up to the hunter to become proficient with the tools he is given. 

I apologize for the seemingly difficult question, but my mind is always working on a different (not better) mousetrap.

Offline muddpuppi

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 02:34:38 AM »
In my experience the height is going to affect your pitch and roller over/break....diameter will generally affect rasp and can influence the hollowness in a call by increasing or decreasing volume in the call...contact area also affects the raspiness in the call...to much will deaden it..also soundboard material and surface material combos will affect the size....there are alot of variables that come in to play...many may only make subtle changes by themselves but together can make very noticeable sound changes...also type of wood plays a big part..