North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Your way of keeping Avian-X (or other brand) from spinning

Started by Timmer, May 06, 2015, 06:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi all,

I replaced my decoys this year with a couple from Avian-X.  I like how quickly they set up and how they keep their shape.  My question is whether anyone has any good ideas on how to keep them spinning in the wind?  I used an extra stake for each one and stuck it alongside, which helped a bit, but sometimes they still managed to get a 180 degree arc of free swinging.  I could use more stakes, but I really don't want to carry 4 extra stakes to keep them in place.  Any better ideas? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

KYHeadhunter02

2 sticks on each side of the tail. :blob10: or stake them on a slight angle.

Triple Gobble

Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

TRG3

I carry some old aluminum arrow shafts that I stick on either side of the tail with enough room that the decoy can move 4-5 inches before hitting one of the arrow shafts. This allows me to control the direction that the decoy faces plus lets the wind give some action to it.

TauntoHawk

a stick or put them low enough the tail sits in the grass a little. in a plowed field i put them on a high chunk of dirt but all the way to the bottom of the bird. dont carry anything extra
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bbcoach

I saw this post and it got me to thinking so I grabbed my Avian X hen for a look.  The Avian X's have a smooth plastic ball, in the decoy, that sets in a smooth plastic socket so I'm thinking put a small piece of rough sided tape (white athletic tape) in the socket to slow the spin.  We have winds right now at 15 mph gusting to around 20 and the tape experiment has definitely reduced the movement (no more 360 spins and probably has reduced the movement by 75%).  I would bet, two sided tape in the socket would probably stop all movement all together.   

stinkpickle

eddie234

The stakes I have for mine have a wing nut, simply screw down the nut and no spinning.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

jbrown

I also use 2 sticks. I have 2 or 3 inches between tail and stick allowing for some movement

Greg Massey

What I did was make wood blocks that hold my decoys. I take wood blocks like a piece of 2 x 6 about 8 to 10 in. Long drill a hole just were a piece of alum. Arrow shaft will stick up from the block. You can cut the arrow shaft to whatever length you want for your decoy setup.  I then attach a carry string on the block and a screw eye to attach another string that I fix so I can loop this around the decoy tail to keep it from spinning or again you make this short or a little longer so the decoy will move a little back and forth. Why I make these is so I don't have to worry about trying to push a decoy stake in the ground or worry about the wind blowing my decoy over.  I'm a older turkey hunter so I cant run and gun. Making these take just a few min.. to setup your decoys.

RIO GRANDE MAN

Simple, just use a small piece of duct tape from the bottom of the decoy to the stake.  It works great in high winds!  Just carry a small roll of camo or gray duct tape in your vest.  No need to carry extra stakes, etc.

OldSchool

Quote from: jbrown on May 10, 2015, 09:06:40 PM
I also use 2 sticks. I have 2 or 3 inches between tail and stick allowing for some movement

I've always thought that "some" movement was a good thing. When it gets really windy a couple sticks do the job.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

eddie234

My primos decoys have a wing nut to tighten down so they don't spin.

turkeyfoot

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on May 06, 2015, 07:08:01 PM
2 sticks on each side of the tail. :blob10: or stake them on a slight angle.
This is what I do also has always worked for me