North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Your way of keeping Avian-X (or other brand) from spinning

Started by Timmer, May 06, 2015, 06:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

MK M GOBL

My DSD stakes have a rubber grommet on the stake with a stamped "positioner" on the stake. I leave them on all the time and if is getting windy you slide it up, it basically touches the bottom of the decoys stake hole and minimizes the amount of "spin" of the decoy while still letting you have the motion, nothing else needed. I would think something like this might work with your Avian-X.

MK M GOBL

trkehunr93

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on May 06, 2015, 07:08:01 PM
2 sticks on each side of the tail. :blob10: or stake them on a slight angle.

:agreed:  The woods are full of them, plus it's one less thing I have to carry.  Or you can take an election sign and some heavy duty snips and cut the the legs to about 18" and keep them in your gamebag portion of your vest.  Only draw back is with it being metal they could eventually protrude thru the vest.  I carried some for one season but ended up losing one in the woods and never replaced it.  Just went back to a couple of sticks per deke.

Honolua

Quote from: OldSchool on January 20, 2016, 03:36:25 PM
Quote from: jbrown on May 10, 2015, 09:06:40 PM
I also use 2 sticks. I have 2 or 3 inches between tail and stick allowing for some movement

I've always thought that "some" movement was a good thing. When it gets really windy a couple sticks do the job.

Bob

this

jims

Similar to the o-ring idea...I would think a rubberband looped several times around the stake would also work.  Slide the rubber band up the stake so it tightens around the decoy hole.

Fan Club

With Avian X, you shouldn't have any problems with them spinning because of their weight.

I've used them since they first came out and have never seen one spin 180 degrees, even here in Michigan where we can still have pretty raw weather in the spring. I have deliberately put them out in my yard on very windy days to test this and the limited movement still looked natural. In fact often I wish they would move a little more.

In the old days of lightweight foam decoys it was a definite issue and I carried extra sticks like everyone else. If you think you still have an issue, which I doubt you will, I'd roll with the duct tape as previously suggested.

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Dr Juice

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Marc

Quote from: RIO GRANDE MAN on January 20, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
Simple, just use a small piece of duct tape from the bottom of the decoy to the stake.  It works great in high winds!  Just carry a small roll of camo or gray duct tape in your vest.  No need to carry extra stakes, etc.

Tape is the easiest solution...  I hunt some hard ground, and have enough trouble getting the initial stake in...  I would maybe twist the center of the tape, and leave some slack in the tape to allow for some movement.

If you use sticks or stakes, you can leave a bit of room for movement as well...  Not sure how that banging and bumping into the sticks would work out though...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Macbee25

ridgerunner

DSD decoy has a rubber grommet that slide up the stake and inside hole in bottom of decoy, keeps it from spinning.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: jims on February 07, 2016, 02:04:52 PM
Similar to the o-ring idea...I would think a rubberband looped several times around the stake would also work.  Slide the rubber band up the stake so it tightens around the decoy hole.

Rubber bands is what I use.

trkehunr93

TRG3

I carry a set of snipers since it always seems that there's a limb or two between me and where I expect to shoot. The cuttings, or weed stems, are great for sticking in the ground by the tail to limit how far you want the decoy to move in the wind. Since there's always an ample supply of sticks, weeds, etc. I never carry extras but just collect them where I set up.