Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Welcome and Get to know each other

Started by jepcho, February 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big perm2

I will check into those also thanks a lot bros!!

Talkem into given up!!!

wmn2

I'm looking in to picking up a cedar striker for my slate as well. Hear great things about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big perm2

Any guys on our team shoot 10gauge beside me. I know it's a lot of gun , but I love it??

Talkem into given up!!!

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Big perm2 on February 11, 2016, 03:28:28 PM
Any guys on our team shoot 10gauge beside me. I know it's a lot of gun , but I love it??

Talkem into given up!!!

Hell no your crazy!

Funny story... Let me preface by saying I have shot just about everything there is at this point and there is not much I shy away from.

I had a winchester SX3 with the 3 1/2" chamber.  So I thought to myself, whats all this noise about 3 1/2" loads. I got 1 box of turkey shells, I believe they where the Remington nitros. Fired one shot.... Gave the rest of the box to a friend and said good luck. 

I swear I tore something in my shoulder from that one shot.  Hell the Longbeard XR's in a 3" load I can only fire about 10 before I am done with that shoulder and have to swap over.

That's why I have an on going thread about a 20 gauge build.  If I can get the accuracy/power/pattern I need from a 20 why the hell not :) If it makes me a wuss than I am the biggest damn wuss you will see. My beef right now is the costs of shells.  I was spoiled by getting 10 of the XR's for less than the price of 5 heavy weights in 20g.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

ILHUNTER

No 10 gauges here either, that's got to be a lot of kick.  I will stick with my 12 gauge.

Big perm2

II hear 357 mag!! Nothing at all wrong with a 20ga!! And yes those 3oz nitros pack a little punch!! I love every bit of it tho!!

Talkem into given up!!!

Gumby

12ga Ithaca Turkeyslayer for me
Have a youth 870 20ga as well but usually grab the 12

wmn2

I have never shot a 10, but woul love to. I'm a glutton for punishment I think.
My wife asked this morning if I wanted to go to cabelas. This is a rare question, so I jumped at the chance. Came home with a .17hmr and 200 rounds of ammo and two boxes of longbeards. Hot home and my triple beards were on the porch waiting for me. Can't wait for warmer weather now.

tomstopper

When I was younger, my uncles said that to turkey hunt you needed to use a 10 gauge. I shot one at a paper target when I was 13 & I won't lie, I cried like a wimp (used to be a skinny runt at that age). I really thought I broke my shoulder and can still remember him saying that I wasn't a man until I could handle that gun. Well I guess I am not a man because I never touched that damn thing again....lol

Big perm2

Ha ha that is funny!!

Talkem into given up!!!

wmn2

I'll never forget when I was about 10, I had hunted with a 20-gauge pump. Shot slugs through it and all, but I wanted a slug gun like my dad's. He has a marlin 512 bolt action. He bought me an H&R single shot 20 for christmas that year. We went to sight it in and he told me that I needed to brace myself because it wasn't like my other 20. Threw a 3" slug in there and to say that gun rocked my world is an understatement. We had a saw horse set up as my rest and I was firing with one knee down and that gun knocked me flat on butt. No crying, but it took me a minute and my dad and his friend laughing for me to get up and try it again. I held on and braced myself the second time. Killed my first deer with that gun 2 years later.

I will say, the worst gun I've shot thus far is a smith .500 magnum that my dad has. I've broken my left thumb multiple times from being a catcher in baseball. I've dislocated my right thumb a couple times as well. To say shooting that gun hurt would be an understatement. I was 16 and almost cried because my hands hurt so bad. I've shot it since, but with gloves on from a rest. No more free handing that one for me.

tomstopper

Quote from: Big perm2 on February 11, 2016, 05:37:59 PM
Ha ha that is funny!!

Talkem into given up!!!
You say funny I say painful.....lol

WNCTracker

Just make sure you got a good grip when patterning!  I tend to over grip when shooting paper so in order to not interfere with the pattern I stayed loose. Big mistake. Pump ripped a chunk of my thumb nearly off.

wmn2

Ouch... I've been reading how people have done the same with the sxp I have. Makes me hope I don't forget when I'm shooting at a bird..

kdsberman

Quote from: Big perm2 on February 09, 2016, 07:31:15 PM
I have a rob Roberts slate call, I love the sound it puts out.. Any ideas on another good slate call?

Talkem into given up!!!

Sup big Perm!  I mean big worm!

Sorry, love that movie (Friday)

I'd highly recommend Supreme Turkey Calls "Strut Buster".  My wife got it for me a few years ago, one of the best if not the best sounding crystal call I've ever used.