OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good Turkey Reaping Decoy.

Started by JeremyPennekamp, March 25, 2019, 09:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

It's not the same as using a decoy , because you are actually hanging onto a object that armed people are trying to kill ...that's the difference

What folks do in thier neck of the woods is thier business,  but I can GUARANTEE someone will get shot ....I've had several hendecoys get shot here in Florida in the spring season , and I've even seen someone who was shot (killed )just for making a Turkey sound (no decoy)the shooter had vision impairment issues....had graduated from a hunter education course prior ....and liked to use slugs to kill turkeys.....

Its hard to believe , but people will shoot at the sight and sound of any Turkey  if someone wants to go crawling around with a gobbler decoy right up to thier face,  well its your business and you life , but dont say I didnt warn you ...

As far as the argument of (I'm on private land ) well even that's sketchy because of poachers ...like I said it's you life, and your money you will be parting with  ...not mine

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dublelung

It would be safer and more sporting to just sneak under him and shoot him off the limb.

Clydetaylor1

I had a buddy that had a stutter out and someone stopped in the road and took a shot at it. Lucky he did not get hit.

GobbleNut

There are a bunch of safety issues in turkey hunting that need to be considered in pretty much every situation.  Although "reaping" is considered by many to be a "distasteful" method of killing a gobbler.  In terms of the danger it presents, from my perspective it is no more so that some other practices that seem to be deemed acceptable, and is less risky than some of them.

For instance, in my opinion, one of the most dangerous things a hunter can do is set out a gobbler decoy in a spot where the hunter cannot clearly see a significant distance directly on the other side of that decoy. Without having a clear lane there, another hunter could pretty easily sneak up on the far side, see that decoy, and shoot at it.  Personally, I would rather reap all day long (although I don't practice doing that) than hunt over a gobbler decoy in that kind of situation.  It is further compounded nowadays by the fact that, with the more effective, long-range loads available, some hunters will risk very long shots at a bird. 

Another safety issue that gets little attention is "blind-calling" birds.  Again, this depends on where the hunter is set up and what precautions he has taken, but sitting in one spot for long periods of time calling in thick cover is just an invitation for some joker to try to sneak up and take a pot-shot at the turkey they hear calling.  Don't get me wrong, I am not condemning blind-calling at all, I am just saying that without the proper forethought on what could happen in a specific situation, you are taking a risk. 

In summary, I would personally rather crawl across an open field with a fan or decoy and take my chances that any hunter around has the sense to realize that there is obviously a person crawling along next to that fan or decoy.  The guy that doesn't have that sense is much more likely to shoot somebody in some other situation like the two examples given above.

The bottom line is this:  However you choose to hunt, HUNT SMART!   :icon_thumright:

LaLongbeard

I don't usually give out my secret hunting techniques but another thread about the turkey umbrella made me decide to help. I'm not sure why the turkey umbrella works so well I think maybe it's the cocky way the Gobbler is tipping his hat or the smile on his face but it infuriates dominant Gobblers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Plush

Any time I hear "I will be on private land" there is one thing that pops into my head.

Yes, you will be much more likely to not experience anyone there unplanned and I bet you won't. However, if you do it is probably the most dangerous interaction/situation possible. People who trespass are already stupid for stepping onto land that isn't there's...they probably aren't bright in other ways. They are the people that will trample through the woods, pop over a hill, see a reaper decoy 30 yards away not moving, and blast it without thinking how illogical that situation is or how unrealistic it looks.

You take the risks you want to take. That is your choice, I wouldn't personally, but I have seen people trespass before and they don't value what they are shooting at or what is beyond.

I put cheap trail cameras out on public land I hunt and I don't lock them up. Why? Because if someone steals that camera I know there is an idiot in that area and they won't be a quality hunter. It's a sign to move out and go somewhere else where ethical hunters may be.

Spitten and drummen

You want to kill a bird that bad , just shoot him 150 yards away with a rifle. Safer for you and you wont get dirty or tired. If thats below you then you could just limb shoot them. I honestly hope no one crawls up toward me with a full fan.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bghunter777

My personal opinion is this tactic should be illegal. It goes against everything you are taught as a hunter related to safety. A turkey simply isn't worth the added danger wearing the target animal on your head and walking around the woods.

kytrkyhntr

Y'all can't let anyone just ask a question on here. Nothing more annoying than the turkey hunting  ethics police. Not once in his post did he ask about your opinion. We get it you don't like decoys or reaping and it's dangerious. You're telling that to a grown man. He knows the risks. That's the number one most annoying thing about this website. Someone asks a simple question and y'all flood this mans post with your own opinions that are unrelated to his original post. Let people live. Leave the ranting for Facebook.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

kytrkyhntr

I don't use any decoys but you can't tell me that you're so holy and perfect for sitting in a blind with 900 bucks worth of decoys and shooting one with a gun out of it. You can't tell me that's more ethical than reaping one. Sorry
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

LaLongbeard

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on March 27, 2019, 12:24:44 PM
Y'all can't let anyone just ask a question on here. Nothing more annoying than the turkey hunting  ethics police. Not once in his post did he ask about your opinion. We get it you don't like decoys or reaping and it's dangerious. You're telling that to a grown man. He knows the risks. That's the number one most annoying thing about this website. Someone asks a simple question and y'all flood this mans post with your own opinions that are unrelated to his original post. Let people live. Leave the ranting for Facebook.
I have to disagree the most annoying thing on this site is crybaby's with hurt feelings lol. It's been said 100 times this is a hunting forum which is nothing more than a collection of people's opinions. The guy asked for a good turkey "reaping" decoy opinions is what you'll get there is no "best" anything it's all personal opinions. I gave what I think are two very good "reaping" options.
At this time most of the people on this site disagree with reaping, just hold your tears and wait us out eventually ,the way things are going, crutches of various kind will be the norm. And you can strap full bodied Gobbler decoys to your head and run around the woods like a complete idiot and y'all can pat each other on the back and be proud of yourself. Till then you have two options cry to yourself or cry on an open forum while we laugh at you. It's your right as an American to cry whenever you want don't let anyone tell you different

LaLongbeard

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 27, 2019, 09:29:32 AM
I don't usually give out my secret hunting techniques but another thread about the turkey umbrella made me decide to help. I'm not sure why the turkey umbrella works so well I think maybe it's the cocky way the Gobbler is tipping his hat or the smile on his face but it infuriates dominant Gobblers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

To alll the butt hurt non reapers......carry on

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

catdaddy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 27, 2019, 12:34:20 PM
I have to disagree the most annoying thing on this site is crybaby's with hurt feelings lol. It's been said 100 times this is a hunting forum which is nothing more than a collection of people's opinions. The guy asked for a good turkey "reaping" decoy opinions is what you'll get there is no "best" anything it's all personal opinions. I gave what I think are two very good "reaping" options.
At this time most of the people on this site disagree with reaping, just hold your tears and wait us out eventually ,the way things are going, crutches of various kind will be the norm. And you can strap full bodied Gobbler decoys to your head and run around the woods like a complete idiot and y'all can pat each other on the back and be proud of yourself. Till then you have two options cry to yourself or cry on an open forum while we laugh at you. It's your right as an American to cry whenever you want don't let anyone tell you different

I'd have to disagree. The most annoying thing on this site is self righteous know-it-alls.     

Spitten and drummen

Its a public forum that revolves around people expressing their feelings. Ask a question all you want but if you dont get feed back that supports your opinion , dont get butt hurt. Good thing is , if you dont like something posted or it bothers you that some think reaping is not really something special and voice their opinion about it , you are free not to click on it. Now my opinion on reaping has nothing to do with saftey. I could care less if you wanna crawl around with a fan. I dont like it because the fan plays on the birds instinct. They are not smart , they survive on instinct. Their instincts are so strong that all is out the window when they see a fan moving toward them. They are mesmerized and cannot overcome that urge to engage. Frankly you are able to defeat the one trait that keeps them alive making it turkey killing , not hunting.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE