OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good Turkey Reaping Decoy.

Started by JeremyPennekamp, March 25, 2019, 09:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Jeremy,  I see you are new to the site.  As you can tell some members here are not welcoming of reaping tools.  For the that matter no blinds or decoys either. And never even think to shoot 41 yards or you will get banned. Unless you can carve a mouth call from an oak branch and call them in close enough to hit them over the head with a spoon your not much of a hunter to some.  Guessing you've been run off by now.  Good luck and be safe. 

Greg Massey

The beauty of this forum is opinions , if you don't want opinions don't post . I don't think anyone is trying to run anyone off .. I use a blind sometimes and decoy ... i hunt the way i want and what pleases me ... reaping is something i wouldn't do , because of a safety factor in my opinion.  I've seen people post using a fan is not a decoy so what is a fan, again in my opinion i think it's decoying ...  agree just be safe and at the end of the day remember the turkey is what we are hunting..

Old Gobbler

Fanning on public land in Florida is the single best way to get shot

The decoy makers who promote fanning , will eventually be sued by a wrongful death case.....not if...but when....

About 15 years ago a widow of a NJ surfer who drowned Sued the manufacturer of the surfboard leash company.....big bucks for a lawfirm.....if you win you still loose

In America they got these things...they are called lawyers...for those making the fanning decoys , I hope you got you product liability insurance payed up
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

RiverRoost

I still have yet to figure out why everyone bashes fanning so much. I've never done it, don't have a fan to use to do it but I could see the rush from it if you were doing it in a safe area. IMO it's the same dang thing as using a decoy on a bird in a pasture or field. I hunt in mostly all hardwoods so I have to get them in close and work them. I just don't get the bashing of people who want to do it. If it's legal and you are doing it in a safe way then have it is the way I look at it. Kinda like the Garmin bow aight, if it's legal in your area and you want to use it go ahead. You still have to be in the right tree and do all the right things to make the shot count.

If you decide to fan for birds just be safe and have fun.

tomstopper

I think that it's a good way to get shot no matter what state you hunt in. I will also add that just because you do it on private vs. public land, you are not safe. There are always a group of people with different ethics who won't hesitate to venture onto private and kill a bird if they don't think they will get caught. To each his own and I hope those who do this remain safe

yelpy

Tomstopper hit the nail on the head. Private land doesn't mean you are always safe so be carefull out there.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

catman529

Quote from: yelpy on March 25, 2019, 09:55:00 PM
Tomstopper hit the nail on the head. Private land doesn't mean you are always safe so be carefull out there.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk
Wide open field is your best option. I mean where you can see a long ways. If something seems sketchy then don't do it. I've done it a couple times on private properties where I was pretty well sure a trespasser wasn't gonna appear out of thin air and shoot me. But it is a good way to get shot if you're not careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1iagobblergetter

Not for me,but each to their own ..I'm sure it will take a few guys getting thinned out before it's outlawed altogether so whoever wants to do it probably better be doing it...

JeremyPennekamp

I truly appreciate all the opinions and views on this subject.  I was taught by a very wise man to always keep a open mind because its a big world and people have experienced life differently.   

GobbleNut

Quote from: JeremyPennekamp on March 26, 2019, 06:00:17 AM
  I truly appreciate all the opinions and views on this subject.  I was taught by a very wise man to always keep a open mind because its a big world and people have experienced life differently.   

Great attitude, Jeremy.  You will fit in well here by keeping that philosophy.  Stay with us and keep posting!

Gobble!

No experience in it but the Montana Wiley Tom seems like a good option. I bet you could easily make one using a fan and wings from a dead gobbler and a $10 jake decoy from WalMart though. Use the other $90 on a nice pot/box.

LaLongbeard

Brand new prototype from  YouTubefamous.com
it's called the "wannabe". I think it will be a big seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

JeremyPennekamp

This is awesome!!!

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 26, 2019, 10:02:57 AM
Brand new prototype from  YouTubefamous.com
it's called the "wannabe". I think it will be a big seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

idratherb