turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

‘Unbelievable’

Started by Ridge, March 20, 2022, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBR12

My cousins son (new turkey hunter) whom really has no one to show him, his family doesn't turkey hunt. Messaged me yesterday asking advice about a situation. He later messaged me saying he missed the bird what should he do. Long of it he said he was only about 50 yds thought that was plenty close enough. Guarantee you that is mostly because he gets his info from videos.

Happy

Haven't watched it and aint gonna. I have seen some YouTube videos here and there and I have noticed a trend of taking "maybe" shots not only in regards to distance, but also in regards to obstructions, moving birds. Ect. You can tell that teaching and being a good represtative of the sport isn't on their priority list. Which pretty much tells me what their priority is.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Big Jeremy

I reached out to him, as I'm sure others did, and spoke civilly. Thankfully he realized that it wasn't a good thing to be promoting, and has taken the video down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Augustine Strutter

He's a clown and the damage is done. He's earned his reputation before this incident, this is just the cherry on top. Now he has his slob of a friend commenting in the YouTube section about how he "knows his equipment and his skills" and would take the shot again.

This is the YouTube world folks. He is doing it for views and to make a few Pennies to the detriment of turkey hunting.

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 20, 2022, 04:43:01 PM
I reached out to him, as I'm sure others did, and spoke civilly. Thankfully he realized that it wasn't a good thing to be promoting, and has taken the video down.

aclawrence

I enjoyed some of his other videos but when I saw the thumbnail for this one I was like nope....unsubscribe. I saw the disclaimer but I didn't watch the video. No excuse for getting 40 and 77 yds confused IMO.

St. Augustine Strutter

My man, stop watching YouTube turkey hunting. This incident is not exclusive to this guy. That little skinny redneck from TN that y'all like to watch put out a video of one getting shot out of a tree. There are stories about THP and Hollywood Dave Owens you wouldn't be real impressed with either.

And when I say stories, I mean first hand account, not some hearsay.

Quote from: aclawrence on March 20, 2022, 05:01:42 PM
I enjoyed some of his other videos but when I saw the thumbnail for this one I was like nope....unsubscribe. I saw the disclaimer but I didn't watch the video. No excuse for getting 40 and 77 yds confused IMO.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on March 20, 2022, 04:56:41 PM
He's a clown and the damage is done. He's earned his reputation before this incident, this is just the cherry on top. Now he has his slob of a friend commenting in the YouTube section about how he "knows his equipment and his skills" and would take the shot again.

This is the YouTube world folks. He is doing it for views and to make a few Pennies to the detriment of turkey hunting.

I've never met the guy, so I won't speak to his ethics completely. I've seen a few of his videos prior to this one and never had any issues with them. I DID have MAJOR issues with this one. Still, I messaged him through FB and spoke politely. I explained my concerns. Again, I'm sure many others did, too, since he actually took the video down.

I referenced the fact that if he realized it was a mistake to take the shot, which he claimed in comments, then he shouldn't have ever posted it in the first place. It was obviously for views/likes, etc.

I referenced how it seemed disingenuous to make a disclaimer, agree they took an unethical shot, but then celebrate it in the video and post the video anyway.

I referenced the fact that many young/new hunters gain all of their information about turkey hunting from videos like his, and that this, in turn could lead to lots of folks thinking they could do the same thing and get away with it.

I referenced lots of things. He agreed it wasn't a good thing to post, and said he was working on fixing it. He messaged again later saying the video was down and he apologized. And he thanked me for reaching out to him.

Everyone else can make their own decisions, but I'll give the guy another chance after our interactions through messenger. Who knows? Maybe with this lesson learned he'll be a great promoter of turkey hunting the right way.

St. Augustine Strutter

You are easily persuaded, sir. I appreciate your consciousness toward ethics but quite frankly you are part of the problem thru your viewership as well.

This guy tells you what you want to hear and now you are back on the bandwagon. In reality, he gave you lip service and he will continue to be disingenuous and keep taking shots like that.

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 20, 2022, 05:33:44 PM
Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on March 20, 2022, 04:56:41 PM

I've never met the guy, so I won't speak to his ethics completely. I've seen a few of his videos prior to this one and never had any issues with them. I DID have MAJOR issues with this one. Still, I messaged him through FB and spoke politely. I explained my concerns. Again, I'm sure many others did, too, since he actually took the video down.

I referenced the fact that if he realized it was a mistake to take the shot, which he claimed in comments, then he shouldn't have ever posted it in the first place. It was obviously for views/likes, etc.

I referenced how it seemed disingenuous to make a disclaimer, agree they took an unethical shot, but then celebrate it in the video and post the video anyway.

I referenced the fact that many young/new hunters gain all of their information about turkey hunting from videos like his, and that this, in turn could lead to lots of folks thinking they could do the same thing and get away with it.

I referenced lots of things. He agreed it wasn't a good thing to post, and said he was working on fixing it. He messaged again later saying the video was down and he apologized. And he thanked me for reaching out to him.

Everyone else can make their own decisions, but I'll give the guy another chance after our interactions through messenger. Who knows? Maybe with this lesson learned he'll be a great promoter of turkey hunting the right way.

Hogmister13

I try not to get into replying to trolls or keyboard warriors but Im flattered that I must live rent free in your head man ( The creater of this thread ) You my friend are my #1 hater no doubt and it's comical ...You literally get on everything I post and dissect any negative actions about it lol - I took down the hunt I posted this morning not for you but I seen what impacts it can have on kids. My intent is to post real-life content of what happens with real hunters and show that we make bad judgments just like everybody else. I was okay with the backlash, but after reading some comments, I recognized that it could come across as the wrong message for kids or new hunters. I don't want kids or new hunters thinking they can take 70 yard shots..In actuality, this was a one-time instance where lessons were learned, and I wanted to show that to viewers but it went south. These videos I create are a hobby for me where I can share and save these memories with my friends and family, and share for those that are interested. I don't do it for fame, likes or money.. I just simply enjoy creating and sharing "REAL HUNTING" but I can see where a video like that can have a negative impact ... By all means I try to do it the right way And I'll admit when I'm in the wrong and I admit we was wrong on that hunt. I thought he was less than 60 yards and the triggers were pulled ... I'm sure everybody on here can account for a time they had no business pulling the trigger .... You live and learn

Pluffmud

I've always prided myself on getting the turkey as close as possible. Extending my range was never an option, as that was just an excuse to be a poor turkey hunter. I'm glad I'm not part of that crowd.
Psalm 46:10

GobbleNut

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 20, 2022, 05:33:44 PM

Great post,...and pretty much exactly how I believe this should have been addressed.   :icon_thumright:

St. Augustine Strutter

Quit trying to save face, buddy. Your actions are louder than your empty words. The title to the video posted above was clearly celebrating the yardage of the shots. If not, the distances wouldn't have been so prominently displayed.  And your below words are nice and apologetic but I surmise that you truly feel the same way as your buddy does in the YouTube comments section where he bragged about taking the shot and that he would do it again LOL.

Take a lap...

Quote from: Hogmister13 on March 20, 2022, 06:01:37 PM
I try not to get into replying to trolls or keyboard warriors but Im flattered that I must live rent free in your head man ( The creater of this thread ) You my friend are my #1 hater no doubt and it's comical ...You literally get on everything I post and dissect any negative actions about it lol - I took down the hunt I posted this morning not for you but I seen what impacts it can have on kids. My intent is to post real-life content of what happens with real hunters and show that we make bad judgments just like everybody else. I was okay with the backlash, but after reading some comments, I recognized that it could come across as the wrong message for kids or new hunters. I don't want kids or new hunters thinking they can take 70 yard shots..In actuality, this was a one-time instance where lessons were learned, and I wanted to show that to viewers but it went south. These videos I create are a hobby for me where I can share and save these memories with my friends and family, and share for those that are interested. I don't do it for fame, likes or money.. I just simply enjoy creating and sharing "REAL HUNTING" but I can see where a video like that can have a negative impact ... By all means I try to do it the right way And I'll admit when I'm in the wrong and I admit we was wrong on that hunt. I thought he was less than 60 yards and the triggers were pulled ... I'm sure everybody on here can account for a time they had no business pulling the trigger .... You live and learn

mountainhunter1

Where I hunt in the mountains, it is hard in about 75 percent of the spots I frequent to even be able to see a turkey CLEARLY at 78 yards much less be shooting one that far. It just seems a lot more intense to have him inside of forty before you touch off the shot, and the intenseness of it is why I hunt them because they sure don't have as big of racks as the deer around here. If you have not really fooled him, what do you really have? - I guess you have supper. But at 78 yards, the breast is likely full of pellets.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

idratherb

Hogmister13

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on March 20, 2022, 07:00:57 PM
Quit trying to save face, buddy. Your actions are louder than your empty words. The title to the video posted above was clearly celebrating the yardage of the shots. If not, the distances wouldn't have been so prominently displayed.  And your below words are nice and apologetic but I surmise that you truly feel the same way as your buddy does in the YouTube comments section where he bragged about taking the shot and that he would do it again LOL.

Take a lap...

Well there's my other little Buddy lol ... I was waiting for you to chime in...where you been?? I knew it wouldn't be long before I seen you

Quote from: Hogmister13 on March 20, 2022, 06:01:37 PM