turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can you make him gobble before sunrise?

Started by Flounder, January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

Thanks a lot.Been hunting these things for 20 years and never had the opportunity or resources to find other opinions,until I found you guys..and had the nerve to ask.
I'll now go after him on his terms, but their will be two of us!

SteelerFan

Gobblers have an uncanny ability to synchronize with each other and decide if and when they'll gobble on the roost. One morning the valley is booming...the next? Nothing! don't tell me they ALL "henned up" at the same time! LOL

That said, I agree with the others - preferable for them to go on their own. Some will gobble when you can still see stars. If I want or feel the need to attempt to elicit a gobble, I'll go standard barred owl. Usually reserve that for my "decision" properties - the ones where you need to decide which way to commit to walking - north, south, etc. I might try the owl hoot then, and commit to the "hot hand".

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on January 27, 2016, 02:34:02 PM
Quote from: Flounder on January 26, 2016, 10:28:40 PM
How do you make him gobble 5 minutes early?
I don't even try.   I'm in it for the long haul.  5-10 minutes ain't going to make a difference to me at all.    I learned a long time ago he's going to be easier to kill on his terms than mine.
^^^This

Bowguy

Roost em the night before n you don't need em to gobble so you know they're there

mgm1955

I don't even try.   I'm in it for the long haul.  5-10 minutes ain't going to make a difference to me at all.    I learned a long time ago he's going to be easier to kill on his terms than mine.
:agreed:

Turkeyman11

If I'm unable to roost a gobbler the evening before in Merriams country, I will head out a good hour before daylight coyote howling from good listening points.  Doesn't always work, but it's happened enough that I'm not afraid to try it.

Gooserbat

I've seen Rios that would gobble all night long. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Yes, indeed, you can make them gobble before sunrise.  I have yet to hunt anywhere that I could not.

Double B

I would tend to agree but do you think owling in early low light conditions hurts at all?  I've wondered at times when I've owled if I shut them up more sometimes.   They gobble when they want but are susceptible early in the season in my opinion.     :gobble:
Followed by buzzards

silvestris

Cause and effect.  If they become conditioned to disturbance following their gobbling at owls, they will cease gobbling at owls.  You will quit talking to Mary Lou after Billy Bob has whipped your butt a time or two for doing so.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

trad bow

I hunt national forest land here in Ga. If a bird gobbles in the early season you will have several people hone in on him. So I wait them out early season but later on in the season I will try to get one to gobble.

guesswho

I'm better at making them stop gobbling than I am making them gobble.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hotspur

Yes, and I can make them gobble in the dark, even on clear creek wma. Sometimes there is a truck parked where you've scouted and you need to move on, I have made them gobble back in the dark.(secret) :boon:

brittman

Crazy morning or fairly quiet morning, I do what many above have already stated.  I let them start on their own and usually don't call until they are down

... UNLESS I am in a woodlot where I hear no nearby gobbling at all.  Strategy then is to let that tree hugger know there is another hen nearby, when it is time for his mid-morning walk about.

WNCTracker

The less noises I have to make the better I feel that I won't get made.