Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What Is the Biggest Mistake Hunter make at 1st Light

Started by Hootowl, April 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

I saw this On Turkey Thugs today , and I thought That I myself Call to Much, or Maybe even try and get that extra few more steps to there roost?

baz77

Those extra steps get me every time! ...in my early days in was probably calling way to much.

jakebird

I have to restrain myself from calling too loud. I often practice louder than i should call in the woods. Another big mistake is comitting to a bird too early. You hear that first bird, way above you and half a mile east and want to take off and get on him on his first gobble. Three qtrs of the way there you bump two silent roosted birds, realize you'll never scale that ridge without climbing gear, and another bird starts tearing it up where you first started. I know this because this is invariably how my dreams or rather nightmares often play out in the preseason ...  :D
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Spring_Woods

Quote from: jakebird on April 04, 2012, 06:03:46 AM
I have to restrain myself from calling too loud. I often practice louder than i should call in the woods. Another big mistake is comitting to a bird too early. You hear that first bird, way above you and half a mile east and want to take off and get on him on his first gobble. Three qtrs of the way there you bump two silent roosted birds, realize you'll never scale that ridge without climbing gear, and another bird starts tearing it up where you first started. I know this because this is invariably how my dreams or rather nightmares often play out in the preseason ...  :D

Omg...do we hunt together?!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Spring_Woods

My biggest mistake is being very indecisive on which bird to go after. Even if I know the land well this fog comes about my brain and affects my ability to read the birds. I'll literally walk circles, pacing trying to get my shtuff together!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

cahaba

I sometimes take chances on getting close when everything has greened up. Alot of it depends on how thick the woods are and how loud my walking is. When the leaves are crisper than a taterchip I don't try and get to close. I wait till he flies down and he gives me some clues on what he is doing that particular morning. I get my head clear and try to come up with my first game plan. I dont call to him on the roost or even call when he first hits the ground. I try and be calm and try and read the bird before I ever make a sound.
Exception is if I know for sure he has no ladies with him. Then I will be aggressive in my approach with hopes that the real hens dont beat me to the punch.
Sometimes loud aggressive calling works great in the right situation but rarely in the tree.

captin_hook

Calling too loud before the birds hit the ground. Imo.

drenalinld

TauntoHawk

For sure its Calling too much to him on the roost, getting caught up in making him gobble.

been really working on my soft game more than anything this year
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WildTigerTrout

IMO the most common mistake is calling to loud and too much. A tree yelp is all that is required just to let the gobbler know you are there.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

dirt road ninja

I would vote for the calling too much and too loud. I'm guilty of both. Been using more clucks and purrs lately and very light yelping.

boatpaddle

That RUSH in to get set up on a gobbling bird and sit at any big tree without any thought of the type terrain, gets lots of hunters in trouble right from the git go.....

Then they call way to much, to loud and never say the right things....... :z-flirtysmile3:

The lack of patience has saved allot of gobblers, too....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

RS

Getting too close to the turkey in the tree.

Calling too much to the turkey while he's still in the tree.

Not taking time to pick out a good place to sit down.

Gooserbat

I never really had a problem with trying to get to close, but I used to call way to much.  Now I usualy limit myself to four sequences while he's in the tree.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Calling too much to hot gobblers on the roost.

Guys don't realize that they are diminishing their chances of success the more they make him gobble up there in that tree.