North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What Is the Biggest Mistake Hunter make at 1st Light

Started by Hootowl, April 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunnerj

tomanyturkeycalls

calling to much on the roost seems to be the biggest mistake and then calling to much... IF i call when they are on the roost it is 3 very light subtle yelps .... they will hear it and that is enough to let them know where you are then I wait till fly down....

habitatmd

Since the No 1 seems to be established, the No 2 in my opinion is chasing one particular bird too aggressively right off the rip.  I believe you need to move on them once they are on the ground.  Of course, you can always close some distance, but invariably that one shuts up, another one fires up where you just were, etc.

BigHooks

redleg06

#1 Poor set up- trying to get a set distance from a bird instead of focusing on getting to a spot to set up that the birds are likely to go once they fly down.  Get somewhere the birds will have an easy time going to.  It blows my mind when guys think they've done good by getting within 60 yards of a bird but have a creek or a brush thicket between them and the bird.  They get in such a hurry when they hear one that they dont consider the terrain and take the time to think about the obstacles between them and the bird so if they are lucky enough to get him coming their direction, he'll get hung up at some kind of barrier. They would have been better off taking their time to get in the path of least resistance or, better yet, where the turkey usually heads once he fly's down (which you can get a good idea about if you know how they use the land).

#2.  Calling too much while they are still in the tree. -   Probably the most common mistake but if your set up is poor, it doesnt matter what you do calling wise, it's going to be hard to kill him.

FireFly908

The Biggest Mistake a Hunter makes at first light staying in bed!!!!!!!   :-[

alan73

Would think calling to much while on the roost is probably the most common, trying to setup to close after daylight could also be one.

chatterbox

Dbrnmllr

Um.... All the above.  Sometimes I just get too excited.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

CASH

Dropping a duece and getting bit on the arse by a rattler.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

El Pavo Grande

All the above.  I would say calling too much while their on the roost is probably the #1 mistake.

Hooksfan

Looks like its pretty much been covered about calling too much.

Another one that comes to my mind is showing up too late after it is already breaking light and walking across open fields or setting up decoys within view of the roosted birds.  I would rather stay at the truck and wait for the birds to fly down than be late.  Then again, I can't remember the last time I was late getting set up--Getting where I want to be well before daybreak is top priority for me.

WNM

Quote from: tomanyturkeycalls on April 06, 2012, 09:25:26 AM
calling to much on the roost seems to be the biggest mistake and then calling to much... IF i call when they are on the roost it is 3 very light subtle yelps .... they will hear it and that is enough to let them know where you are then I wait till fly down....

Definitely my thoughts as well. I go with a 4 note light yelp though  ;D Of just about all the birds I've killed within 30 minutes of flydown, I've called twice. One light series when he's on the limb, and one more series when he's on the ground. Call down, gun up, and let him look.