turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Funky chicken

Started by Headhunter270, February 17, 2013, 01:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmasters

I hunted some public land last year here in Florida and saw a flock of them on fire break 150yds away, new they were funky chics at first glance. So do the turkeys i'm ganna guess.

Bowguy

Guys I'm not so much knocking it, but sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Some birds may come to a decoy no matter how it looks. The right bird, right time has em gobbling at car keys and running towards footsteps as you walk. Now should we use car keys as a locater?  My point is not to compare a funky chicken to car keys. It's to say we never know what could happen. As far as people mentioning Toms beating the funky chicken up, I'll say I do believe them but only when someone puts a realistic jake decoy in a field about ten or so feet from the chicken, and has Toms ignore the realistic jake but run to the funky chicken, and sees a history of this can we say it's better. Til than I'm keeping my DSDs

Marc

Quote from: sixbird on May 20, 2014, 09:17:59 PM
Oh, and an added benefit is that you're less likely to get shot by another hunter...This thing is so goofy looking it should give a hunter pause, at least enough to say to himself, "Wait a minute...That thing isn't real..." So there you have it, my two cents...

Here is a review from Cabela's:

QuoteIT REALLY WORKS!!!

This decoy brought in a big gobbler each time I used it. They really wanted to beat up this funky looking oddball. Apparently it was so funky and real looking that another unknown hunter stocked this decoy and and shot it...the hunter was very sorry (embarrassed) for shooting my decoy, He handed me $40 and walked away. I'll bet he doesn't tell anyone about this adventure. Overall the decoy worked great and I will be using it again and again. I would have given 5 stars but the beard fell out on a rainy day...I glued it back on.

I would not be surprised to see these work on turkeys, but I do find it a bit dismaying that it fooled a hunter... :help:

I do not believe that turkey's are an overly smart bird, but I do believe they are cautions...  Everyone that I know that has used one says that birds are really aggressive towards it...  For $25 I am willing to give it a go this year, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Just like anything else, if they really do work, and everyone starts using one, they will become increasingly less effective.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

turkeykiller

My son had to have one for youth season last year and to my suprise it worked great. Long beard come in to 15 yards from us.

kyhareraiser

well i got me one of dem ther funky chickens, may actually put it in the field but bought is as a companion to put a seatbelt on for when i pull in to camp the evening before the opener. i'm always doin' somethin' crazy. lol

turkey buster

I've had mine work. Sorry you aviandakotadsd sponsored guys. Lol

deerbasshunter3

Sounds like it works. May have to try one. Hard to believe it would but seems like it does.

zelmo1

I just came back from Cabelas and they were putting out a huge number of these. I asked the stock boy if he hunted and if he thought they would sell. He is a hunter and he said that this is theur second batch of these decoys that he has put out. Go figure??