turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Funky chicken

Started by Headhunter270, February 17, 2013, 01:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgoff

I am one of the quote suckers that bought one.  I only used it once last year and had a gobbler coming running in to it (which my partner missed) He totally ignored the hen decoy and faced off against the funky chicken. The reason I only carried it once is because it does not collapse down very well and feels like your carrying a football in your vest.

sixbird

I'm going to say some things that are going to pee off a bunch of you but here goes...You guys need to open your minds...The principle behind this goofy little fella is that it triggers aggression. It does...I have two mature gobblers and a jake this season that will attest to that. One of the matures beat up on poor little "tiny tim" for the better part of four minutes. He was so enraged that he beat him and pecked him after knocking him flat on the ground. He absolutely wore him out! The other mature stood nose to nose with him in full strut until I sent him to "turkey Valhalla." The jake looked like a prize fighter. Wings down and out, circling,throwing a right, then a left. All of them essentially ignored the DSD hen that was less than 4 feet from him. My friend didn't let his gobbler close enough to administer a beating but the gobbler was on his way...You can laugh and ridicule all you like, and you can run on hearsay all you like. Give the "jacked up jake" a try and be honest with yourself about the results. There's only one conclusion...This thing is genius! It looks ridiculous...Yep, it does...It works...No question...I'm not new to this game. I've been a few rounds with these gobblers. I'll try something new. If it works, I'm all for it...If it doesn't, I'll be the first to say so...No question in my mind, this one is a keeper!

sixbird

Oh, and an added benefit is that you're less likely to get shot by another hunter...This thing is so goofy looking it should give a hunter pause, at least enough to say to himself, "Wait a minute...That thing isn't real..." So there you have it, my two cents...

bamagtrdude

Sixbird: That's awesome; thx for sharing!!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

sixbird

Quote from: bamagtrdude on May 21, 2014, 06:51:04 AM
Sixbird: That's awesome; thx for sharing!!

No problem man...I just see how that goofy little thing works for me and I see people lining up against it. I can only assume that they've never tried it and judge on how it looks, which is of course ridiculous...I'm convinced it works, no reservations...

bamagtrdude

Quote from: sixbird on May 22, 2014, 09:08:40 PM
No problem man...I just see how that goofy little thing works for me and I see people lining up against it. I can only assume that they've never tried it and judge on how it looks, which is of course ridiculous...I'm convinced it works, no reservations...

I had a really good feeling it would work - and work extremely well.  During the winter (deer season), I saw a group of 7 gobblers, and guess which one was getting picked on & his tail whooped the entire time?  Yep - THE FUNKY CHICKEN!!!  It seems like it's in a mature gobblers "nature" to pick on the wimp.  Prior to that moment, I hadn't seen the funky chicken deke - but when I *DID* see it, I was like -- ingenious!  :)  Glad it worked for you; I'm going to try & pick one up on the cheap & add it to the arsenal for next season.
---

sixbird

Saw one for $25 bucks somewhere...I'll try to find it again...

sixbird

Amazon, Walmart and Eders have them $24 and change. Pretty good deal. I think I paid $30 or so...

bamagtrdude

10-4; I'll check it out!!  Thx for the heads-up
---

sixbird

No problem man...Let us know how he works for you next year...I think you'll be happy little "Tiny Tim" came hunting with you...

d.winsor

I don't think I would mind trying the Funky chicken, but I would hate to have a jake come in and bust up my decoy setup.

Marc

That decoy looks ridiculous to me...

But I have been hunting long enough to realize that realism is not always the best answer...  I never would have guessed that a spinning metal bar would attract ducks to the degree it did...  I know of duck and goose calls in the past, that worked better than more realistic sounding calls as well...

Sometimes eliciting a response or maybe curiosity can work better than realism at its best....

Before poo-pooing this thing, I would ask how many have used this thing with poor results?
Before buying the thing, I would have to see more than a marketing video of it working though...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

sixbird

I know I'm starting to sound like a "chicken groupie" but I know this thing works...Check out Youtube. There are plenty of vids. there that aren't sponsored... :newmascot:

zelmo1

:funnyturkey: It looks ridiculous, but I saw a jake in some tallish grass and it looked similar. If it works, use it.

Halfski

I just read this post for the first time, and I almost lost it when "El Pavo Grande" joked that he was thinking about a whole flock of funky chickens.  I truly laughed out loud!  That is funny stuff right there.