OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Amboyna Burl Trumpet

Started by TRKYHTR, July 10, 2013, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Very nice, and a great sounding call to.

hunter22

Great looking call Joe. I am glad you called Billy. When I saw the mp I instantly thought of Billy and knew he had a patent on that. I am glad it did not turn into a major ordeal like I recently saw on another forum like Lyle mentioned.

Gut_Pile

Quote from: TRKYHTR on July 11, 2013, 05:40:59 PM
Just an update on this trumpet. I called and talked with Billy Buice today. He has a patent on anything interchangeable with the mouthpiece of a trumpet. I can make the moutpiece like I did but when I sale it I have to glue it in so it's not interchangeable.

Joe

Very strong move Mr. Joe. Happy to hear you got in touch with Billy
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004

Houndstooth Game Calls

Joe is no doubt a great guy and I commend him for calling Billy.. But what if Joe built this trumpet and patent had dissolved because of the 20 yr or 14yr patent had expired which is what I read and this is a scenario that will happen in the future for certain as has happened with box calls or pot call patents..Does he have the right to build it then or not? Personally I was amazed I connected a 6 in 1/8 hole  with out blowing out the side of the blank lol muchless thread a dang mouth piece haha.. I am just asking questions to what I have read.. I wished I had enough money to buy a trumpet from all you fellas but my wife would run me off!! I also wish someone that knows about patent process with calls would answer some of the questions out there I am sure there's plenty of members with the same questions... Joe your a great guy and I appreciate your willingness to help me on building my own trumpet also I would have been lost lol and thanks to my buddy Del for turning me on to trumpets in the woods and Mr. Buices trumpets, there killers for sure! Have great night fellas!!

savduck

I think many people forget how much the internet, and sites like this contribute to the popularity of trumpet calls the last three years or so. There are call makers making and buyers buying, and requesting things in trumpets that they may not know exists already because they dont have the knowledge and history. They just see cool stuff and get interested. I think a lot of call makers are always trying to improve and come up with new things without knowing what is already out there.

Im a huge fan of Billys and speak with him probably once a month. I also speak with Joe often, and have several of his proto type trumpets. I can tell you he comes up with ideas. He has Pmed me several ideas before he tried them. He isnt intenially copying or trying to steal anybodies stuff.

Personally, I think he came up a great looking " turpin" style trumpet, which by the way is probably the most commonly made body style of trumpet. It just happened to have a screw in mouth piece that he didnt know somebody had a patent on. Now he knows. He also manned up and called Billy.

Thats huge gonads, huge character...and dang it, if you can get past the screw in mouth piece, a DAMN fine lookin yelper.

Georgia Boy

Old Timer53

That be one fine looking call for sure

pappy

As long as there are call makers there will be discussions on "Who's is Who's" when it comes to designs or features of the call in question. Sometimes it is good for the call maker, sometimes it bites them in their back side. But all in all, if our site was just for hunters and not for call makers then would we hear things like..." you hunt like so and so...or....you carry your gun like so and so or shoot like so and so.."? I see where you some of are coming from, as to the  "it's stuff like this turns me off online sites" thing, but look at everything else in the world that has "competition" between them...car manufacturers have been at each others throats for years, clothing makers claim to have their ideas taken from each other, even how food is marketed and processed has claims of fraud and theft. so it is gonna be there. With call makers it insights "new ideas" from "old ways" I know I have been accused in the past of things, and have claimed my innocence or have taken a stand, but in the end, it has helped me in  my thinking process when it comes to my creative side. Not any different then Billy or Joe or Turpin or Cost or any of the rest of the call makers out there or who have passed on, each person who makes them, will eventually cross over that very thin line, purely accidentally, on design or internals, because there is only so much one can do with wood and metal... so many issues have arisen on other sites where this stuff is pushed beyond the limits, and it accomplishes absolutely nothing for the site or the call makers, as far as popularity goes, but if an individual were to use such "friendly" discussions as a tool for thought, and apply it to their ingenuity and inventiveness in their call making, WOW what a world of calls we would have. TO ALL CALL MAKERS, JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON, RESPECT EACH OTHER AND LEARN FROM EACH OTHER.  TO ALL POSTERS, RESPECT THE CALL MAKERS AND LEAVE THEIR JOURNEYS UP TO THEM TO TRAVEL.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Wingboneman

barry

All this patent talk has got me wondering if I can patent my little Doan's can tubes calls. :toothy9:

Great call Joe and kudos for calling Mr. Billy.

barry

Here's a link to the patent Mr. Billy lists for his trumpets.
Some of you guys may be able to understand it, I don't.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4642065

Houndstooth Game Calls

Dang Barry that's some technical stuff.. Didn't see Mr. Buices name on it but looks like these guys had a patent on the press in mouth piece and a mid section and exhaust.. Says the patent has lapsed never seen a trumpet like these but I bet there's some collectors on here that have them.. Interesting caller and facts...

Gawhitaker

Great looking and sounding trumpet.