OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jakes on accident...

Started by Reloader, March 24, 2011, 02:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FLGobstopper

I've done it a couple times but each time it's been on one of those years when the gobblers aren't gobbling much and I'm having hard luck. It seems my filter for deciphering a jake from longbeard gets a little blurry when it's like that.  :goofball:

Whew, glad I got that off my chest!!! Now bring on the longbeards or longbeard looking-ish turkeys.  :z-guntootsmiley:

KYTurkey07

I've killed 2 jakes kinda on accident. In KY you can take two bearded birds so I don't feel bad. Neither of them strutted, I couldn't see their spurs or the length of their beards. If I had known and waited, a big boy might have been trailing behind. Then again, they might have been all alone. No regrets.

Dtrkyman

Once that I can think of, full roll gobble and hung up and acted like a tom, late season thick cover and  only got a peak of his head and let em have it!

17lb "super jake"  no regrets!

Tom007

Been there, done that. I think it probably happens to all of us, especially in mountainous terrain.
"Solo hunter"

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Tom007 on Today at 03:44:12 PMBeen there, done that. I think it probably happens to all of us, especially in mountainous terrain.
It's inevitable if you shoot at enough of them.

Yoder409

I believe I've shot 5 in my lifetime, for various reasons.

None by accident.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

knifeshark

I just did that last week, 50 yard shot in high grass, came into the decoys and hung up when he saw the quarter strut decoy. He presented a long shot, and I smoked him in the high grass, kinda of disappointing, but happy to tag one. That was the only bird I heard in three days of hunting in the rain :begging: Can't always get the paint brush, but any bird is a treasure.

zelmo1

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 25, 2011, 10:33:29 AMNot on accident...yet.  Every jake I've killed was on purpose.   ;)
Same here, but I almost did this year. Not by mistaken identity, he stepped in front of the Tom and I pulled up. The gun went off . No clue how I didn't kill them both. The trigger was a micro ounce from engaging when the youngster popped in. My reaction was purely instinct and very lucky for us all. Z