turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minimulast

Started by gotcha, February 07, 2012, 07:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHMTitan

I go light, since I like to be able to move / relocate quickly.  I have a small, simple camo fanny pack that holds my fold up hen decoy and binoculars.  On the fanny pack strap hangs a pouch that holds a couple diaphram calls, slate call, crow call, face mask and gloves, with room for a small flashlight and gobbler tube if I think there needed.  That and the gun slung over my shoulder is all I carry.  Well... that and the TP in a ziploc baggie in my pant's cargo pocket.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'm a minimalist.
4 pot calls
1 box
One mouth call
Pruning shears

The one thing I have a lot of is toilet paper.  Gotta let the cosby's out when they want to go play...

Otherwise you could be "hardcore" like an acquaintance of mine and make who made cow patties in his pants while waiting out a hung up gobbler just out of gun range. Never did kill that gobbler but he was certainly "productive" that morning.

JWC07

Wow, he actually crapped his pants! I have nearly peed myself but I probably would've gave up on the bird and dropped my pants in his situation. Just me and our season is long.

flintlock

I am w/ya Gotcha!  I have an old vest that just has two black straps that go over the shoulders and carry a slate, glass and longbox in the front bottom pockets.  I thow a few water bottles in the turkey pouch, with some blackpowerder and shot in the final pocket and it is go-time.

Good luck
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

FLTurkey

I definitely am a minimalist.  Carry my gun and three Hooks mouth calls.  I don't need anything else.

redarrow

Day one vest weight about 150 lbs.
Day 5 . What vest ? Just me,my Benelli, Sla tek, 2 purpleheart strikers.

Woodsman4God

I wouldnt say a minimalist but not a heavy duty either, 2 pot calls , 3 or 4 strikers, a few diaphragms ,pruning shears and I did borrow a decoy last year and that was a nice little addition, a bottle of water, shells and my gun

SWAMPFOX

Started out with the kitchen sink 24yrs.ago and grandfather laughed at me.spent money on a bunch of junk. Have all I need now and spend it on ammo and chokes. My vest has a wingbone,trumpet,diaphram and slate.water,pruners,compass,scothbrite,gloves,etc.. pretty light though. Quit hunting with decoy yrs. Ago and that definetly lightened the load.

Trax

2 pot calls / couple strikers
1 box call
Diaphragm, sandpaper, scotchbrite bits
Binos, knife, TP, water, shells, foam hen, pruners

If out all day I add food and rain jacket and a phone

30_06

Usually start out the season with a call in every vest pocket, carrying bino's. As the season wears on I cut the amount of calls in half, and leave the bino's in the car. :  ;D

WildTigerTrout

I carry ALOT less now than I used to carry but I do carry quite a variety of calls. You never know which one the big guy will like. It's not like when I was a kid and wore WWII pattern camo,facepaint,my 20 ga. single shot shotgun and one call, a Lynch "World Champion" box call.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BrowningGuy88

Depends on the situation and who I am hunting with.

For me by myself on our lease or private land, I have my vest on because of the padded seat but only have a crystal-freak, a slate, two strikers, and a Lynch's World Champion. If the gobbler puts the moves on me and I end up with him all day, I generally leave the vest and take my gun and just the call I have been working him with. Always have a couple mouth calls in a case in my shirt pocket.

When I hunt with a buddy, it may be scenario above or if we are hunting a place that we may walk 10 miles that day I will just take my gun and a game bag. I put my slate it my shirt pocket and striker in my pants pocket. In the game bag, I will have two bottles of water, a sandwich, and dry socks.

Now as the season wears and I get on one boss gobbler and am hunting him exclusively, I leave it all at the truck except my gun, my slate, and my mouth calls. I want to be mobile and have absolutely nothing that will squeak or rattle on my person.

n2deer

I take a few mouth calls, two slates and strikers in a pouch on the belt.
Other than that, gloves on hands, facemask around neck. And a few extra shells in the pocket.
I have needed those extra shells before.

Ohh, a fat boy hunt comfort seat and a turkey tote in my side pocket of the pants.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

Grunt-N-Gobble

I've got a few mouth calls, a slate, The FREAK, a box and two locators.   All in my vest.  Water bottle too.

Sometimes I've got decoys and other days I don't.  Depends where and how long I have to hunt.  Some mornings its only 45 minutes before I've got to get back home before the wife leaves for work.

I'm torn on the decoys anymore.  It seems if I hunt closer to home, I have better luck with them.  The place I hunt further north, they don't seem to do much good.  Same with calls.  I'm finding out its better to just hunt their travel areas and wait them out just like deer.

Though, its not quite as fun vs. calling them in.  They like to answer the call, just not move in.  Maybe I need to work on my calling.