turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

polishing your Barrel updated pics.

Started by VAHUNTER, February 06, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I polished my 870 today, really easy process.  The hardes part was getting the scotch pad cut to the right size!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Five O

Quote from: jblackburn on February 18, 2012, 04:20:36 PM
I polished my 870 today, really easy process.  The hardes part was getting the scotch pad cut to the right size!

Yeah you've gotta work it in alittle then start turning it or the brush will push out of it. The oil helps alot

cscott

Im about to give this a try . Whats the average improvement in pellet count after this procedure has been done ?   Scott

MUSHCREEK

Got all the stuff on the way to do it, probably gonna try it on brand new barrel as well.

twinters

hey brother i am sorry to be asking so late into this post ,but i have bought all the stuff to polish the barrel on my shotgun,but after taking it down i have noticed that this may be a chromed barrel.the gun is a browning invector-plus special steel ,it has a mirror finish ,and has never been polished.i looked it up on there website but couldn't find any info on it,if you know about this i would really appreciate it before i really mess things up with this gun.i see that you are trusted by many so i will trust your advise thank you in advance

Trevor2

I dont have modified choke. All I have is turkey chokes. Would it be best to do it without a choke in it or with a old turkey choke?
Strutstopper

jblackburn

Quote from: Trevor2 on March 01, 2012, 07:33:00 PM
I dont have modified choke. All I have is turkey chokes. Would it be best to do it without a choke in it or with a old turkey choke?

Definitly DO NOT polish without a choke!  You will mess up the threads!  I would say that it would be hard to push the scotch pad through a tight choke, but that would be better than no choke.  I don't know what kind of thunder stick you have, but factory mod chokes are usually fairly cheap.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

TauntoHawk

borrow a junky old choke off a friend

I followed William at Sumtoys advice on polishing and it did a great job, haven't patterned yet because its been too cold and windy lately
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Newram05

Just ordered me some brownells bore bright and cleaner! I've got the kroil in an aerosol can, will this work?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: jblackburn on February 09, 2012, 03:26:10 PM
I just ordered the Kroil and the JB's products to polish the bore of my new 870 and old mossberg 835.  I also have an old 20 gauge with a fixed full choke I would like to polish, but since I cannot change chokes, will polishing hurt the barrel?  Also, the 835 has a ported barrel, other than making sure I clean the ports well, is there anything I should do?

Thanks so much for the great thread!!
if your choke or sleeved barrel does not have wad catchers it will not hurt a thing to polish to the end of the muzzle. you do NOT want to polish over wad catchers or anyother type of choke that slows the wad. if you do you are taking a chance of rounding the corners making them dull.  regular stock barrels with full chokes it will not hurt a thing.

Polishing your barrel does not have any ill effects. the only thing it does is takes away friction. this will allow the wad and shot to leave the barrel faster and smoother createing less flyers and a tighter pattern. it also makes your barrel easier to clean. it does NOT strip your barrels material down to "new" metal. it just polishes the metal on the surface of the barrel now.
Good things come to those who wait

mac295

If a mossberg 12 is over bored to 10 gauge dimensions should i use a 12 gauge brush with the scotch brite or still use the 20 gauge brush?

Tom Foolery

I use the 20 gauge brush for my 835.

mac295

I did my sons 835 and it didn't seem to bite the scotch brite like my 870. The thought struck me and I figured I would ask. Thanks

VAHUNTER

Quote from: mac295 on March 22, 2012, 09:49:24 PM
If a mossberg 12 is over bored to 10 gauge dimensions should i use a 12 gauge brush with the scotch brite or still use the 20 gauge brush?
on the 835 i use a 20ga brush. but cut my scotch bright a little longer to give it a little more overlap so it will fit a little tighter.
Good things come to those who wait

mac295

Thanks for the advice and knowledge guys.