OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What equipment has made you more effective.

Started by Gooserbat, January 05, 2017, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

(quote author=Spring Creek Calls link=topic=68314.msg667569#msg667569 date=1483659966]
Choke tubes and short legged turkey chairs. I'm old and was hunting before either one of these were available. quote) ^^^^^ This and I'll add the red dot scope and Hevi 13 3&1/2 inch shells.

perrytrails

I'm with Clark, I've ditched equipment.

Mouth calls, crow call and a gun.

I still wear my vest mainly for tp, shells, water, seat and to carry my bird out. Phone is valuable for mapping.

K.I.S.S. method

jwright8

Defiantly a red dot. Don't use use one now, but when I was younger I missed several before I got a red dot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

turkaholic

Great post, I like many here ,have been at this for over 30 years. I am surprised that no one has mentioned a turkey wing. If you have not tried calling turkeys without making a call , please give it a try. I never go without my non traditional types of calls. One is a turkey wing to use for scratching leaves and scraping on tree bark. Nothing sounds sweeter to a wary gobbler, and you have not even made a call,right? My other go to is a red wolf gobble tube. This call has seen me carrying more big gobblers over my shoulder than any other. I have ,just last spring called in toms running to this call looking for a fight. Believe me this is a great tool. There are times and places for all calls. It is up to the hunter/ woodsman to know how and when to use them, and in some cases, the balls to use something else when old tom screams out ,and your heart is in your mouth.
live to hunt hunt to live

renegade19

I also use a turkey wing but I'd say Hunt Comfort "Fatboy" cushion is the best piece of equipment I carry now.  Let's my 53 year old butt sit comfortably a lot longer.

TURKEYWHACKER

Gobbler Lounger
Thermacell
Blind (for both kids and my Dad)
GPS
Good diaphragm calls
Good pot calls
A lot more patience. I hunt Florida WMA's and kill alot of birds late mornings to the 1pm cutoff  after others have given up and headed to the truck

trkehunr93

Quote from: turkaholic on January 08, 2017, 12:15:38 PM
Great post, I like many here ,have been at this for over 30 years. I am surprised that no one has mentioned a turkey wing. If you have not tried calling turkeys without making a call , please give it a try. I never go without my non traditional types of calls. One is a turkey wing to use for scratching leaves and scraping on tree bark. Nothing sounds sweeter to a wary gobbler, and you have not even made a call,right? My other go to is a red wolf gobble tube. This call has seen me carrying more big gobblers over my shoulder than any other. I have ,just last spring called in toms running to this call looking for a fight. Believe me this is a great tool. There are times and places for all calls. It is up to the hunter/ woodsman to know how and when to use them, and in some cases, the balls to use something else when old tom screams out ,and your heart is in your mouth.

The wing is the thing!  Agreed.

GunRunner

Thermacell
  Bushnell Trophy Red Dot Scope
  Baby wipes in a zip lock bag
  Binoculars

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Cut N Run

Quote from: jakesdad on January 05, 2017, 08:21:08 PM
Thermacell and gobbler lounger. I have been trying to cut back on "stuff" and go back to the more old school ways like when I started hunting turkeys in the mid 80s. But these two modern conveniences sure make it alot easier to sit longer and in much more comfort

^Exactly.  I also love my SBE II and Speed Bead.  I killed plenty of turkeys with my old single shot and I haven't needed follow up shots with the SBE yet, because when it speaks, the turkeys lay down.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gobble!

Illini Tom

seat/lounger. those thin cushions were killer 20 some years ago
a good, light-weight vest (ol tom). helps me carry only the bare necessities

daddyduke

Hammock seat. Comfort is everything when trying to set still. The #1 thing that has helped me be a better turkey hunter is Old Gobbler Blog. Lots of great guys sharing experience. Thanks !!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: Devastator on January 05, 2017, 08:57:59 PM
Consistent and quality mouth calls from Scott Hook,and the load technology is UNBELIEVABLE!!
yes sir!!! all I need is my hooks mouthcalls and my gun. everything else, including camo, I can and have killed turkeys without.

greencop01

:camohat:  A red dot, Custom turkey calls for their sound range and realistic turkey talk and thermacell.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!