OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What equipment has made you more effective.

Started by Gooserbat, January 05, 2017, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Other than the normal things like calls, shotgun, shells, etc, I can only think of 2 other things that have resulted in some dead birds that had I not had them I might not of killed them.

Number 1 is a good set of binoculars. I constantly use them and there's many times I located a bird at a long distance I wouldn't of seen without them and or I was able to watch them in order to figure out how to get in position to kill them.

2 goes along with it and that's a good gps/map/phone that helped me get in position to work a bird I located or to get me in pisition to set up in the dark on.

If there's a 3 it would be a ground blind for when I've taken my kids hunting. I don't like it though and am trying to keep from relying on it. They're 9 & 11 and have each shot birds at 6, 7 & 8 yrs old. Since we've moved away from the blind... not so good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Hevi shot a decent mouth call and thermocell and on occasion a tree umbrella especially if its wet and cold little dryness goes long way

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

I would have to say my cell phone with internet..it makes research of turkey hunting equipment easy,Google maps,Google earth,etc...access to a great site like this with helpful people and feeds my passion  from the end of turkey hunting season to the beginning. For actual turkey hunting I'd have to say the Gobbler lounger chair which helps me sit comfortable for long periods of time if needed. I also like the ammo improvements over the years.

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

allaboutshooting

After several decades of chasing turkeys, I am now a minimalist turkey hunter. There is one item however that I've used for much of the time I've hunted and that I never go to the turkey woods and fields without and that a diaphragm turkey call. I normally have 2-3 with me at all times.

I credit those calls with most of the success I've had. The value of not having to move and being able to make so many different individual sounds can not be overstated.

I can't imagine hunting without a diaphragm call.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvlimbhanger

There's a lot of things I've tried over he course of 20 plus years turkey hunting, but to limit to a list of the very best pieces of equipment would be the following:

Gobbler lounger chair
DSD decoys
HTL ammo or Longbeard Ammo

maytom

(1) Like some others have mentioned, a "gobbler lounger" is night and day above sitting on a seat cushion!!! Makes the long waits much more enjoyable!!!
(2) ThermaCELL unit, no brainer there
(3) 27" x 12' camo blind. Hate those sneakers that come in silently from behind you!!!
(4) Pruners and limb saw, really aids making a natural blind
(5) Feather-Flex decoys and bag, like the foam fold ups over the rigid models.
(6) New Winchester Long Beard XR shells, much cheaper than Hevishot, and pattern great too!!!
(7) The gun and calls are the same from 26+ years. Except for new mouth calls.

paboxcall

Excellent thread.  If I had to pick a few things that increased my effectiveness they would be:

Versatility: Investing the time to become proficient on trumpets, wing bones, scratchers and long boxes. 
Knowledge: Hunting videos, specifically Deny Gulvas' DVD collection. 
Patience: Finally realizing turkeys aren't on the clock, I am.
Technology: Most recently smart phone with interactive topos.

:fud:  :turkey:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Rick Howard

The turkey chair is use for me.  I can hunt for a day without it.  I can hunt for the season with it.

Full strut

gobbler chair
diaphragm calls
20 gauge HTL
Thermocell
- all of these are a must! i can live without the rest

wvmntnhick

GPS when I remember to take it. I'm a bit geographically challenged so it helps a lot. I can get lost in a parking lot fairly fast and have done so several times.

wisconsinteacher

HTL
Red Dot
High end calls
Turkey tote
Short legged chair
Bi-pod sticks

These things have helped me so much.  Comfortable and confident=more birds!!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 05, 2017, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: jakesdad on January 05, 2017, 08:21:08 PM
Thermacell and gobbler lounger. I have been trying to cut back on "stuff" and go back to the more old school ways like when I started hunting turkeys in the mid 80s. But these two modern conveniences sure make it alot easier to sit longer and in much more comfort
This.  I'm much like many of you and have other things, but these two make turkey hunting better for me.

X3!