OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What equipment has made you more effective.

Started by Gooserbat, January 05, 2017, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I'm not saying that you can replace experience with high performance equipment or gadgets.  Woodsmanship and patience are learned.  However there are some pieces of equipment from simple to elaborate and economical to pricey that puts you in an easier situation to take a tom.  Here's a few of mine.
Seat cushion:  I'll be the first to admit I use a very elaborate vest and I utalize it in most every sense but the butt cushion is the thing that I appreciate the most. 
Thermocell: nothing is worst than mosquitoes except buffalo gnats and my Thermocell keeps both at bay.
20 gauge: sounds silly but a lighter gun and with the advent of fed HW7 or tss shot I can travel lighter and my gun out performs my 3.5" 12 ga loads of yesteryear.
Clean dry socks: I usually have a pair stowed in my vest. Gives tired feet new life on a midday rest.
Travel size wet wipes some things should not have to be explained
Quality Binoculars.  Even turkey hunting I'm surprised how often I use mine.  A lot of hunters over look the advantages of magnification.
Sights/red dot/scopes:  shooting turkeys is more akin to rifle shooting than the swing shooting of winged game.  A accurate sight system that is able to adjust poa to actual poi is important especially when paired with tight patterns.
Google maps and smart phone:. Sometimes it makes a difference to see how a ridge runs or if there's a creek, field, or something else between you and him.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spring Creek Calls

Choke tubes and short legged turkey chairs. I'm old and was hunting before either one of these were available.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Spring Fever

I love the dry socks!!!
I thought I was the only one.

dirt road ninja

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 05, 2017, 06:46:06 PM
Choke tubes and short legged turkey chairs. I'm old and was hunting before either one of these were available.

Mike you're not old.  Quit trying to receive handouts!  :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

MK M GOBL

Have a few things I rely on, with that said it depends on the hunt. Whether we are filming, Youth hunts or an old run & gun. I have gear for everything :)

Here's my top 10 list in no particular order.

1.    My Cody World Class Slate (Day in, day out I have ended more birds with this call than anything)
2.    Shotgun Rem 12ga 1187 (I have had a lot of work done to this turkey killing machine)
3.    DSD Decoys (Absolutely deadly! If I put decoys out their the deal)
4.    Double Bull Blinds (Helps out with the kids and when were filming and great for the bow hunts)
5.    Binoculars (Swarovski SLC 10x30's, wouldn't be caught with out them)
6.    Shooting Sticks (Bog-Pods or the Caldwell  Deadshot we modified to use them with the kids & blind,
                                even caught my self using when self filming)
7.    Turkey Seat (Made/modified my own up and been using for 20 years running & gunning)
8.    Turkey Pack (Have cut down on a lot of what I carry, No vest anymore and wouldn't go back)
9.    Video Camera (Anymore I film everything, setup a camera just for this)
10.   Well I can't give out all the secrets but this one has helped me score on nearly 200 birds!!
        I have passed it along to a few chosen that I hunt with :)

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Snake boots, 20 ga. F HW7, camo, bottle water, better box calls and pot calls and good old Toilet paper...

guesswho

Cell phone (real time aerial view map).  I wish I had one 50 years ago.   Could have saved a lot of miles and avoided some set-up mistakes.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

JLH

The things I "never leave home without"

Thermacell
DSD Jake and Deception boss hen
Kuiu gaiters
Good binds
Bow, release, and extra release!

Happy

Blinds, and decoy flocks. They keep most of the hunters close to their cars and immobile.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WNCTracker

Red dot...never been much of a good shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakesdad

Thermacell and gobbler lounger. I have been trying to cut back on "stuff" and go back to the more old school ways like when I started hunting turkeys in the mid 80s. But these two modern conveniences sure make it alot easier to sit longer and in much more comfort

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tail Feathers

Quote from: jakesdad on January 05, 2017, 08:21:08 PM
Thermacell and gobbler lounger. I have been trying to cut back on "stuff" and go back to the more old school ways like when I started hunting turkeys in the mid 80s. But these two modern conveniences sure make it alot easier to sit longer and in much more comfort
This.  I'm much like many of you and have other things, but these two make turkey hunting better for me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jblackburn

I got a crazy friend in Okie land that makes pretty ok calls, I've noticed I have done better since I quit buying Wally World calls.

The smart phone is great, especially google earth.

Always having tp and or wet wipes in my vest has made more than one hunt more pleasant.

Stepping up to a good choke with good shells has been a positive step for me as well
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Devastator

Consistent and quality mouth calls from Scott Hook,and the load technology is UNBELIEVABLE!!