Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which pistol is your choice for concealed carry?

Started by sugarray, July 14, 2011, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

I love that Beretta, that is my carry gun when I am doing my daily 5.3 mile hike around town. It is lightweight and dependable. Excellent firearm.

Quote from: Basser69 on July 14, 2011, 04:40:03 PM

I love my Beretta. Mine is a .22 but they also make this same gun in a .25, .32 and .380 They are all fairly compact with not a lot of weight to fight. You can drop them in a pocket or carry in a holster.

Stoner

I have three basic carry guns. I keep "The Judge" in the truck, the first two cylinders have .410 shot shells (buckshot) and the last three cylinders are .45 Colt Long. The Judge is an excellent weapon to end a car-jacking. On my person I carry a Colt Defender in a .45 ACP during the day. When I am walking to get some exercise I carry the Beretta Mod 21A chambered in a .22. The .22 is enough to stop an attack by another person with decent shot placement. I just gave my daughter who is a college student an S&W Lady Smith wheel gun (revolver) chambered in a .38 Special. If you shoot a wheel gun and reload an excellent self defend round is to use lead wad cutters loaded backwards in the casing. It makes a huge hollow point.
To answer your questions as to what is a good carry gun and a caliber that will slow down a bear. You might want to consider the S&W Mod. 19 chambered in a .44 Special. This gun should be effective on people and bears with proper shot placement.
Here is a link for some other considerations: http://www.gunblast.com/Butch_SizeMatters.htm

Nimrodmar10

Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP if I'm wearing a jacket or coat or a Kel Tec P10 9mm if I don't have a jacket and carry a pocket pistol.

RutnNStrutn

I don't carry while hunting, but I also don't hunt in bear country. If I did, it would be a revolver in at least .44 magnum.
My concealed carry gun is a Glock 27, a compact .40 caliber. Never once jammed, very accurate, small enough to carry without being noticed.

Stoner

Quote from: CamoMan4025 on July 18, 2011, 07:44:35 PM
Sugar................are ya confused yet ??? ??? ??? ???

Sugar Ray it about like asking what is your favorite deer rifle.

sugarray

Yeah, I know, but I have minimal experience with hand guns and might not see something that would be right at my local shops.  Always a good idea to get the most information you can!!

busta biggun

I agree with everybody that says they want a gun small enough to be easily carried so they don't leave it at home. Here's my thoughts. I ended up with a decent caliber (Springfield XD40 SC) because I want to be able to stop a drug crazed attacker. Not fill him full of holes and know that he will die soon. I also want a bullet that would be able to shoot through the door of a car in the unlikely event of a carjacking. .40 should do that fine. The Sub-Compact allows for easy concealment. I have never printed to my knowledge or been called out by friends and family that know I carry. Now the only downside to carrying a weapon that is .40 caliber and so small is the fact that it is going to be less accurate. But the overwhelming majority of self defense shootings are at a very close range, so I am not that concerned. Sure a .22 derringer or a small .38 with a small clip will be easier to carry, but I don't even notice my gun any more and I like knowing I have 10 effective rounds even with my short clip in. I can always stick my extended magazine in my pocket if needed. I just feel better with this rig and as many have pointed out it's all about what each person feels comfortable with!

davisd9

Can never go wrong with a .357 mag or a 40 cal.  I am bias to S&W and Ruger but I would buy a Taurus, Kimber, and others with no hesitation.  The .357 you can shoot 125 grains to I think 180grains and for lower recoil you can shoot 38s in it.  The 40 will give you anything from 180 to 135 grains.  I like a revolver in the woods and a pistol on the streets.  Revolver in my opinion is better than a pistol as far a functioning and power, but the pistol holds the advantage of holding more rounds.Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Hognutz

With all due respect...You actually carry a single shot, scoped pistol for self defense? And an SAA on your hip? Talk about cumbersome. I don't doubt you, Preacher, but they do make a lot of smaller handguns that are not, in fact, made out of plastic.
Are you pullin' my chain? I mean. I was born at night, but not last night..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gold Spur

I carry a Colt Mustang 380. I've bought it back in the mid 80's and have had no issues with it. I keep it loaded with Win. 85gr. silvertip hp's.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

misfire

I have two that I carry concealed. The first is a Sig P239 9mm in a side holster. The other is a little Keltec .380. I can throw that gun in my front pocket and forget its there
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

AU coonhunter

Like others have said try as many different guns as you can to find one that fits you and your needs the best. Mine is a springfield xdm compact .40 in a tennessee holster company in the waist band holster. I forget that I am even wearing it.

West Augusta

Quote from: sugarray on July 19, 2011, 08:14:41 AM
Yeah, I know, but I have minimal experience with hand guns and might not see something that would be right at my local shops.  Always a good idea to get the most information you can!!

There is a shop at Flatwoods that used to have a nice selection.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.