turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Easiest Pot Call To Run?

Started by deercamp, January 29, 2017, 08:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deercamp

I would love to know what type of pot call SURFACE you think is the easiest to run. Slate is not one that I'm interested in so you can leave those out because I'm moving on from them.  I have a few nice ones and when I get them ready the night before I'm going hunting with them it's all good.  The day I take them out is a different story they just seem to be so inconsistent for me. It's probably me, but it's just not worth the aggravation to me anymore. I like to try and enjoy myself out there and not get frustrated over my call. I have a Primos Power Crystal that works pretty good for me.  I would like to get a couple new custom pot calls, but I'm just trying to decide which ones and who to get them from.  So if you could suggest a specific call combination along with the call maker that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also a new member here and would like to say hello to everyone.
Thanks

M,Yingling

for an easy running surface to get turkey sound  I would say crystal then a blasted or plain aluminum surface call
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Daddy rat

David Halloran's Twisted Sister  was my 1st highend buy and now have box full of others but that call is in my vest everyday.  One good pot call and 2 or 3 extra strikers will do the trick but when that pot call bugs bites you  buying them never ends! :drool:

MK M GOBL

I hunt with 2 pot calls, one the aforementioned Slate call (Cody World Class) and an Aluminum call (MAD).

MK M GOBL

Browning87

I would recommend either a daybreak call glass or ceramic or Lon Trice of lonzo's custom calls stoned aluminum. Both guys are top notch guys and can get you what you are looking for. Theses are all pretty easy to run and you know if it comes out of their shop it's going to be packed full of turkey

Techn9cian02

Crystal is easy to run but slate is incredibly forgiving if you make a mistake with it. Can't go wrong with either

Bowguy

Get a Schafer aluminum, not only is it one of the easiest calls to run you never do anything to the surface. If you get something on it you can wipe it w alcohol but if you're clean w it just run it. Big advantage when a bird's comin n the surface doesn't go away. Saw a post about stoned aluminum, Dawkins plastic pot is easy too

beakbuster10

Dawkins stoned aluminum is as good and easy as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I'm not sure what your skill level is so I have to ask if maybe the way your holding your striker/pot call  might be part of the problem? The reason I'm asking is because when I started years ago everyone told me a slate was easiest to learn on and I believe it is very forgiving. I have about every surface on a pot call you can think of now and still believe slate is an easy playing surface. Believe me I'm not trying to offend at all I just don't want to see you buy another call for a different surface when maybe it's human error,buy another call,it doesn't play well,and then get really discouraged. Could also be maybe you and slate just don't  get along. Something to maybe look at...Goodluck...

Clardh

All the calls mentioned I would agree with. I also agree with M. Yingling about crystal and aluminun. I know you said you don't want to hear about slate but slate is very forgiving (Techn9cian02 agrees). Lon Trice slates are great calls and Scott Hock ( on old gobbler) makes a slate that is super forgiving and can run with the best. The call Scott makes loves any striker I put on it. Scott is also making aluminun calls and glass calls now. I have two ordered and if they are anything like his slate, thise calls will be going hunting with me!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Clardh on January 29, 2017, 11:37:37 AM
All the calls mentioned I would agree with. I also agree with M. Yingling about crystal and aluminun. I know you said you don't want to hear about slate but slate is very forgiving (Techn9cian02 agrees). Lon Trice slates are great calls and Scott Hock ( on old gobbler) makes a slate that is super forgiving and can run with the best. The call Scott makes loves any striker I put on it. Scott is also making aluminun calls and glass calls now. I have two ordered and if they are anything like his slate, thise calls will be going hunting with me!
x2 Have 3 on order from Scott. All of his sounds great. His slate/slate sounds exceptional!!

deercamp

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 29, 2017, 11:30:49 AM
I'm not sure what your skill level is so I have to ask if maybe the way your holding your striker/pot call  might be part of the problem? The reason I'm asking is because when I started years ago everyone told me a slate was easiest to learn on and I believe it is very forgiving. I have about every surface on a pot call you can think of now and still believe slate is an easy playing surface. Believe me I'm not trying to offend at all I just don't want to see you buy another call for a different surface when maybe it's human error,buy another call,it doesn't play well,and then get really discouraged. Could also be maybe you and slate just don't  get along. Something to maybe look at...Goodluck...

No offense taken at all.  My skill level with a slate call in my house is average. When I'm in the woods calling its poor.  With my crystal call I'm pretty decent.  I've also have some older aluminum calls that I'm average with.  I mostly use a box call and the Primos Power Crystal.  I use a mouth call just to be hands free if I need be. I'm definitely not winning any calling contest with the mouth call or slate.  After reading some of the recommendations above another crystal call and the stoned aluminum call seem like they me good choices for me.  I've been fortunate to have killed a bunch of Toms over the years and I'd attribute that to my skill level and love for hunting and not from my skill level of calling for sure.  Thanks for all of the replies so far

MK M GOBL

Quote from: deercamp on January 29, 2017, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 29, 2017, 11:30:49 AM

X2!!

No offense taken at all.  My skill level with a slate call in my house is average. When I'm in the woods calling its poor.  With my crystal call I'm pretty decent.  I've also have some older aluminum calls that I'm average with.  I mostly use a box call and the Primos Power Crystal.  I use a mouth call just to be hands free if I need be. I'm definitely not winning any calling contest with the mouth call or slate.  After reading some of the recommendations above another crystal call and the stoned aluminum call seem like they me good choices for me.  I've been fortunate to have killed a bunch of Toms over the years and I'd attribute that to my skill level and love for hunting and not from my skill level of calling for sure.  Thanks for all of the replies so far

One thing to do is if you have a video camera, set that up out in the timber and move away 80 yards, run through your calls, cut that in half and move ahead run all them calls again. Take it home and critique yourself from there... I did this as part of my initial learning stage better than 25 years ago learning pot and diaphragm calls, other than having some tame birds on the farm to talk to.

Will always say having "Turkey Rhythm" and knowing what to say is more important to calling...

MK M GOBL

paboxcall

Is the slate calling surface picking up moisture from your hands?  Slate is probably the most forgiving call surface for a pot, but moisture between the slate and your striker will kill the needed friction for a good sound.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

bunk

Quote from: beakbuster10 on January 29, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
Dawkins stoned aluminum is as good and easy as it gets.

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk