OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol Grip

Started by NCL, July 27, 2019, 10:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

Quote from: sixbird on August 07, 2019, 07:17:54 PM
Quote from: NCL on July 28, 2019, 08:09:34 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. Intuitively a pistol grip would make the gun more steady which is what I am trying to achieve. I am to old to crawl so there should not be a problem with the handle hanging up. Now the problem of finding the grip and a smith to install. I do not trust myself to try an install.

Man, don't pay a smith. It's so easy, a caveman can do it!   ;)
In all seriousness, it's really easy to do and it'll give you some knowledge about how part of your gun operates. Check on YouTube. There will be clear instruction on how to do it there. I've installed recoil springs in mine and I'm no gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.
I was scared stiff to mess with my trigger until I needed to install aftermarket springs in it. I can't tell you how simple and effective that was. Had a stiff trigger and in about 15 minutes, I have a great trigger...AND, I understand how it all works now.

Thanks, I never thought of looking at You Tube for directions. I am such a mechanical klutz, I usually just go to the professionals.. It has to be easier than a caveman for me. 

davisd9

I have hunted with pistol grips and like them.  On a 12 gauge stock it makes a bigger difference than a 20 ga.  For me it is easier to hold a heavier gun up in ready position longer and steadier.  It will also help with recoil by allowing it to be absorbed to your hand/arm and shoulder rather than just the shoulder.  My 20 ga 11-87 I use the traditional stock as my hand wraps around it really well and the gun is balanced well that it does not cause fatigue.  As stated, they are very easy to put on yourself.  Good luck with you decision.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

sixbird

Quote from: NCL on August 08, 2019, 07:57:48 AM
Quote from: sixbird on August 07, 2019, 07:17:54 PM
Quote from: NCL on July 28, 2019, 08:09:34 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. Intuitively a pistol grip would make the gun more steady which is what I am trying to achieve. I am to old to crawl so there should not be a problem with the handle hanging up. Now the problem of finding the grip and a smith to install. I do not trust myself to try an install.

Man, don't pay a smith. It's so easy, a caveman can do it!   ;)
In all seriousness, it's really easy to do and it'll give you some knowledge about how part of your gun operates. Check on YouTube. There will be clear instruction on how to do it there. I've installed recoil springs in mine and I'm no gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.
I was scared stiff to mess with my trigger until I needed to install aftermarket springs in it. I can't tell you how simple and effective that was. Had a stiff trigger and in about 15 minutes, I have a great trigger...AND, I understand how it all works now.

Thanks, I never thought of looking at You Tube for directions. I am such a mechanical klutz, I usually just go to the professionals.. It has to be easier than a caveman for me. 

Not much you can do to mess it up. It's just a nut and bolt and a spring. Check how to take down your Benelli on YouTube and you'll see just how easy it is.
I'm telling you, if I can do it, pretty much anybody can do it...