OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I join the NWTF?

Started by southern_leo, January 09, 2016, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on January 20, 2016, 07:36:45 AM
I'm from Lexington,TN and have went to the Jackson ,TN banquet a bunch of times because my best friends uncles were members and worked it. The one in my hometown is a joke cause it seems the only people that ever win a gun or anything nice at it are the big shots in the city and my friends uncles quit thier's because the main ones over it seemed like they didn't care about anything but money. The volunteers would give all day or more of their time and wouldn't even get a thank you. I believe it used to be a good organization but don't know anymore. I am a member though cause I love the wild turkey and if it helps them then it helps me hunt them.

Grecian has some great food!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

southern_leo

Quote from: TN Beard Buster on January 19, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
Hey Leo. I noticed you were from middle Tennessee. If you live near Winchester and the weather ain't too bad, we are having our annual banquet Friday night at Monterey Station in Cowan. Great food and fun, with lots of giveaways.
I'm just outside Murfreesboro, but I work Friday night. Thanks for the invite. I considered checking out the Stone River chapter sometime. I went ahead and joined because I plan to attend the convention anyway and will spend more than $25 at basspro. So between the free gift card and getting in the convention I'll save money. But I did want to join a worth while organization at the same time. I'm happy I did it. Now I'm hoping to get involved and really see what the NWTF does behind the scenes. I'm hoping it's something I'll proudly continue supporting since I love hunting so much.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

southern_leo

Hope this thread is helping others too I just saw with 30 post it's over 800 views!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: turkeywhisperer935 on January 20, 2016, 07:36:45 AM
I'm from Lexington,TN and have went to the Jackson ,TN banquet a bunch of times because my best friends uncles were members and worked it. The one in my hometown is a joke cause it seems the only people that ever win a gun or anything nice at it are the big shots in the city and my friends uncles quit thier's because the main ones over it seemed like they didn't care about anything but money. The volunteers would give all day or more of their time and wouldn't even get a thank you. I believe it used to be a good organization but don't know anymore. I am a member though cause I love the wild turkey and if it helps them then it helps me hunt them.
I'm not saying you're not telling the truth but the big city money guys prob buy more chances to win at a fund raising event. 
I've never seen anything but good, Whenever people are involved you can get bad, report it. The orginazation is fantastic and a big reason lots of us are hunting the big birds instead of simply reading about another far off hunt.
Support your local chapter, get involved, grow the young kids in the sport by going to Jakes days n such.

gaswamp

NRA protects 2nd amendment, provides shooter services, and protect hunting heritage.  Also, the NRA banquets don't require you to become NRA member to attend unlike DU, QU, and NWTF

smalls

Something I've seen in other threads here that I have been curious about is the common response to why someone does not support the NWTF.  This response is typically along the lines of the NWTF claiming sole responsibility the restoration of the wild turkey.

I've done as much reading as I can on the subject, and my OPINION is this.  When the NWTF was founded back in 1973, it's mission was to protect and restore turkey habitat and to educate hunterd.  This is according to an article in the 40th Anniversary edition of Turkey Country back in 2013.  As time progressed, the NWTF would donate money to the states to support turkey relocations. 

I believe the first instance of this was the NWTF supporting a Texas company's efforts to bring turkeys back to east Texas when they had no wildlife to offer as trade to another state.  The NWTF backed a plan that would essentially have TPWD buy the birds, but in a way that would not violate the Lacey Act.

That was the first of many endeavors by the NWTF as part of what they called Target 2000.  Yes, they did do a lot with the boxes that I see people mention often, but, at least in my opinion, the NWTF isn't claiming that they are responsible for the restoration of the wild turkey.  They did contribute to this though, through habitat work, education, research, and funding of these projects.

Now, if some individual people with NWTF are making those claims, it would not surprise me.  I even think some of the statements made in places contribute to that idea that they are claiming responsibility.  So I can definitely see where it comes from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

turkeywhisperer935

Yes Grecian does ok, Scott's BBQ is where it's at though.