OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I join the NWTF?

Started by southern_leo, January 09, 2016, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalls

I've been a member of several conservation organizations.  If I could only stay with 1, it would be the NWTF.  They represent hunters and work hard to maintain our hunting heritage.  They work on public lands to improve habitat.  It is a great organization.  I've been a part of 2 local chapter committees over the last 3 years (moved 2 years ago), and have thoroughly enjoyed being able to contribute to what the NWTF does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

Turkey Call is a good read. I maintain my membership, I just really wish the NWTF would do something to lobby the TWRA to address the declining turkey population in my area and also wish some habitat work could be done on local public lands but it doesn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on January 19, 2016, 01:34:16 PM
I'm staying out of this one.

come on! I have had this pop corn ready since this thread started.  :popcorn:

smalls

Why post that you are "staying out of this one"?  That clearly isn't staying out.  I'm assuming you have some issues with NWTF then.  I would actually be curious to hear them.  I haven't heard many issues expressed towards them, and they do a lot of good work in my state.

southern_leo

I started this post for honest opinions either way. If you have a negative opinion please share. Being as no one has had a negative review yet an argument from the opposing side would be welcome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gobble!

guesswho

Quote from: southern_leo on January 19, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
I started this post for honest opinions either way. If you have a negative opinion please share. Being as no one ha
Quote from: smalls on January 19, 2016, 02:01:27 PM
Why post that you are "staying out of this one"?  That clearly isn't staying out.  I'm assuming you have some issues with NWTF then.  I would actually be curious to hear them.  I haven't heard many issues expressed towards them, and they do a lot of good work in my state.

s had a negative review yet an argument from the opposing side would be welcome.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maybe I should have said I'm keeping my opinion to my self.    This topic has been discussed many times and I used to be pretty vocal as to why it am not a member and why I have no immediate plans on becoming one.   I give them credit where credit is do, they are great at marketing, taking credit for things they had very little if anything to do with such as the relocation of turkeys, taking advantage of its volunteers  etc. 

Quote from: Gobble! on January 19, 2016, 01:48:49 PM

come on! I have had this pop corn ready since this thread started.  :popcorn:
:TooFunny:

Quote from: Gobble! on January 19, 2016, 03:36:08 PM
There was a good topic on this in 2014.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42548.0.html
Thanks.   That will give some of the other views.  I know a couple die hard N"WTF" supporters in that thread who have since seen through the smoke and mirrors and have parted ways with the organization.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

nsselle

I was super excited when I first joined, started a chapter in chicagoland area and I volunteered and participated in as much as my time allowed.  Sold raffle tickets, did the banquet, attended other banquets, Nashville etc.  It was a good experience while it lasted but then things were starting to cost me out of my own pocket and I could not afford that so I left.   If you think its a good organization than join and decide for yourself, they do offer some really fun things to do, my favorite was the Jake days.

SinGin

Quote from: Gobble! on January 19, 2016, 03:36:08 PM
There was a good topic on this in 2014.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,42548.0.html

Lots of good opinions in this thread. Should take the time to look it over

TN Beard Buster

Hey Leo. I noticed you were from middle Tennessee. If you live near Winchester and the weather ain't too bad, we are having our annual banquet Friday night at Monterey Station in Cowan. Great food and fun, with lots of giveaways.

turkeywhisperer935

I'm from Lexington,TN and have went to the Jackson ,TN banquet a bunch of times because my best friends uncles were members and worked it. The one in my hometown is a joke cause it seems the only people that ever win a gun or anything nice at it are the big shots in the city and my friends uncles quit thier's because the main ones over it seemed like they didn't care about anything but money. The volunteers would give all day or more of their time and wouldn't even get a thank you. I believe it used to be a good organization but don't know anymore. I am a member though cause I love the wild turkey and if it helps them then it helps me hunt them.

fallhnt

I kind of look at it this way...Between the NRA and the NWTF ,I'll join the NWTF. They can fight for hunting and guns while I can read a little turkey hunting info in Turkey Country.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

smalls

Quote from: fallhnt on January 20, 2016, 08:07:32 AM
I kind of look at it this way...Between the NRA and the NWTF ,I'll join the NWTF. They can fight for hunting and guns while I can read a little turkey hunting info in Turkey Country.
From the looks of some past threads on here, there are those that would disagree with you.

I believe someone once said "if the NWTF disappeared tomorrow, no one would know the difference."

The opposite was said for the NRA.  I think both serve their purpose.  The NWTF has had to reinvent itself.  Sure, they do some things that seem unnecessary.  That nice, big shooting center seems like one of these.  But overall, I think the "Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt." campaign is an important one for the future of hunting.  We are seeing declines across the Southeastern US in turkey populations because of habitat loss, fragmentation, etc.  We are also seeing declines in hunter numbers.  At the same time, hunting is under attack by the anti-hunting groups, more so than ever I feel.  Social media does us no favors in that department, because it allows those types to attack our heritage from behind computer screens, relentlessly.

We need organizations like the NWTF who are upfront in their support of hunting.  Some may say we don't need an organization to fight for our hunting heritage.  I disagree.  Several voices united under one banner is stronger than several individual voices.  That is my opinion anyway.  Some will disagree, but I think for that reason alone, the NWTF is important to hunters.  That's not even considering the habitat work they do.

firedup

I have been a member for a long number of years.  True they are all about raising money.  So is NRA, Ducks, RMEF and so on.  They all depend on banquets and volunteers to do that.  So you work hard and all your money disappears. Nature of the beast in fund raising. I recently saw a stat that said they put $0.89 per dollar back into projects and stuff.  Not too shabby.  BUT for me it is all about your local chapter and how your state works.  Here in WV the NWTF has been VERY active in supporting the acquisition of more public lands.  That is a good thing for sportsmen and not just for turkeys.  They back sportsman issues and get involved at a legislative level as well thru lobbying and attending committee meeting, etc.  They have been "putting their money where there mouth is" in other words.  What this really means, IMO, is the quality of the PEOPLE involved!  Without good people it is just raising money.  And the most important thing, for me, is the quality of your local chapter. That is where the rubber meets the road because you are doing things with your neighbors for your community.  For example. We host fishing days for the kids, any kids! No membership required.  We recently helped host a Wounded Warrior hunt.  Deer hunting.  Hosted a women's events.  We contribute hams and turkeys seasonally to churches and civic organizations who prepare meals for less fortunate.  Provide some small scholarships at a state and local level. None of that is really about turkeys and all about the local community.  So stuff like that makes it worth it for me to be a continuing working member.  So check it out, ask questions and try to join a chapter that suits YOUR goals and priorities! Make YOUR work and efforts count!